Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-18-2011, 09:45 AM   #1

newbee question

We are planning our trip to pick up our new MH next week. Wife ask me a questions; "What has electrical power in the coach while underway?" Don't believe she is referring to the genset running while underway.
Tom Copeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:05 AM   #2

Another thing that might help you to know... traveling in the heat and cooling the MH. We considered a MH initially and I remember reading this topic on another rv forum a couple years back. The dash a/c doesn't cool the back of the MH so how do you cool the area in the back while driving. Can't remember the answer or if it involved using electrical power, but it seemed to help the first time MH owner
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 11:54 AM   #3

If you run the genset you have everything you have when hooked up to electric. If not you only have what is on 12V or propane (refrigerator,lights,hot and cold water using the pump,heat,toilet,fans,etc. If you have a nice big inverter then you can use almost everything but not at the same time.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:04 PM   #4

Thanks
Have 400 Watt inverter.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:14 PM   #5

Back in my motorhome days, I ran the generator during the warm weather for the roof A/C. Seems to me that under a load it pulled about a gallon of fuel an hour.

"Roughing it Cheaply"
Albums:
https://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?u=3163
Boss Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 05:34 PM   #6

Only thing inverter provides electricity to on our 29D is the TV and surround sound up front. I added a receptacle hooked into the inverter in the side of the bed for my CPAP.
Flytyer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 05:42 PM   #7

About the Melbourne 29d...

Sorry I haven't responded earlier; we've been in Israel and Jordan the last few weeks.

Some of you may have seen this response in another forum, but here's the down and dirty, from my perspective, on the Melbourne 29d, and please understand that our view of the Melbourne is presented with owner's bias, i.e. we really like our motorhome. We purchased the Melbourne in Sep 2007 and have driven it over 24K miles. Our gas mileage, pulling a toad almost the entire 24K miles, has averaged about 9.5 MPG over the life of the vehicle; I'm a conservative driver. We have taken extensive trips to the Southwest, Yukon Territory and Alaska, and the Rio Grand Valley--the point being that we have driven over high mountains, through deserts, and on ordinary terrain. PROBLEMS: the taillight lenses were installed upside down, and on the opposite side of the vehicle; consequently, water filled the lens and shorted out the bulb, but it only took a few minutes to detect the problem and exchange the lenses. Also, we have broken the gray tank valve handle a couple of times, and again, it was an easy fix; I now carry and extra. We had mice problems one winter, but carefully filled all undesirable entrances with foam and steel wool, and use moth ball crystals liberally and have not had a repeat. Lastly, the front tires were wearing significantly on the inside, but a visit to a tire shop and corresponding adjustments (over an inch) took care of that problem. The cargo carrying capacity is small, so beware; however, we made the 81 day trip to Alaska with plenty of clothes and provisions, and were 60 pounds under capacity. The mattress only lasted a year, and we replaced it with a memory foam mattress, with square corners; the Melbourne mattress has rounded corners, and OEM bedspread had rounded corners. We don't mind the change in decor, and really like the new mattress. One annoyance is that IF YOU WANT THE AWNING DEPLOYED, you have to do it while the dining booth slide is IN. This can be a bit cumbersome if you deploy each day--the slide has to go in and out each time. We live in a rural area and it has been difficult, at best, to obtain even simple service like balancing tires, etc. Fortunately, I do all the minor maintenance myself. The Melbourne has a seemingly small footprint, but we are amazed when we go inside and open the slides. Many of our "older" friends with large MHs want to downsize and really comment positively about our MH when they come inside. It's big enough for two, dinner for 4 would be a bit tight. Again, please understand that this is written with a positive bias; we really like our Melbourne 29D!
Old 05-24-2011, 02:54 PM   #8

Sounds like a great trip.
Thanks for the input on the 29D. We head out next Wednesday to pick up our new unit. Then a 620 mile trip home. Plan to make two overnight stops on the way just to work things out. A good friend and his wife are going with us. He has some rv experience so hopefully I won't break anything on the trip. Been trying to pick up a few items to help outfit the rig for the trip. Things that aren't provided by the dealer. Any suggestions?
We need a forum for Melbourne owers. What do you think?
Old 05-24-2011, 03:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Wagon View Post
Back in my motorhome days, I ran the generator during the warm weather for the roof A/C. Seems to me that under a load it pulled about a gallon of fuel an hour.
My fiver genset only pulls about 1/2 gal/hour.
Old 05-29-2011, 06:39 AM   #10

Not having had a genset on board before, does this mean that it can be run while traveling? I have heard that it should not be run while on shore power. True?
Campergma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 10:47 AM   #11

Good question! Will find out next week when we pick up our 29D.
It's my question(s) also; what do we need to do to have A/C and other electrical service while underway? If I read the post right, you have all power if the genset is running while driving. I assume that the refer is running off prophane (but also been told that "all" prophane should be turned off when underway. Genset will use 1/2-1 gallon of gas an hour. If genset is "not" running don't know what you will have. I've seen post that you may have lights and maybe TV (powered off the converter).
Old 05-30-2011, 05:51 AM   #12

Over the course of almost 4 years with our 29D, we have never run the generator while traveling down the road--no need to. The dash AC cools the unit sufficiently (as does the heater) while driving, and if water is needed, use the battery operated pump. We typically run the refrigerator on propane while traveling, but it will stay cool if turned completely off for the 6 hours or so of daily driving. Also, we turn the hot water heater on first thing each morning, and the water will stay hot for several hours. If we need to charge cell phone or computer with AC while driving, we plug into the surround sound outlet which works off the inverter (I added a power strip to the surround sound outlet, as it is the only inverter powered outlet from the factory.) As I stated in another post, I added a receptacle on the side of the bed for my CPAP for dry camping, but we have used it with the inverter to cook with the crock pot while going down the road. Bottomline is we've never needed the generator while driving.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:28 AM   #13

Thanks....... great input. We are really looking forward to getting our 29D and hitting the road. Any more advice would be great!
Old 05-31-2011, 03:55 PM   #14

Also looking to picking up a sewer kit for the new 29D. Understand the one supplied is not very good. What have you experienced as far as a kit, storage area, etc?
Old 06-05-2011, 06:54 PM   #15

Can you tell what size sheets are need on the coach sofa in the 29D.