Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-25-2015, 03:29 PM   #1

newbie rver

So we purchased a 1998 jayco eagle. The generac generator is not working properly. Something to do with not putting out consistent voltage. The rv place cannot figure out the problem so now we must decide on what route to take. Opinions concerning getting a portable? One other question what runs the fridge as you are traveling down the road?
childers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 06:17 PM   #2

We have a 2-way fridge, 120AC or propane with 12v. Travelling we use propane and in a CG we use AC. No boondocking so far. We have no generator and haven't needed one.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 07:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by childers View Post
So we purchased a 1998 jayco eagle. The generac generator is not working properly. Something to do with not putting out consistent voltage. The rv place cannot figure out the problem so now we must decide on what route to take. Opinions concerning getting a portable? One other question what runs the fridge as you are traveling down the road?
We pre-cool the fridge and leave it off for the 4 hours transit to our boondock campsite.

Your genset should be repairable. If it is putting out something close to 110/220 VAC. It just a matter of fixing the engine.

But it may cost more to buy a new genset than pay a mechanic's time to eventually find the problem.

Several people here are comfortable with leaving the propane on while on the road to keep the fridge cold.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 02:28 PM   #4

So we tried our generator and it started spit and sputtered then died. Now it will not turn over. It is a generac NP36G.
Old 07-10-2015, 03:58 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
So we tried our generator and it started spit and sputtered then died. Now it will not turn over. It is a generac NP36G.
It sounds like a carb or fuel issue with the engine, until you said it won't turn over now. When it ran, if the rpm's were surging, that would give inconsistent voltage. I would start with the electrical connections to the starter, get it to run, then check the carb, or governor if it continues to surge. If the rpm's are steady, then it may be the genset side itself. Not an expert, but did have one on our MH eons ago, that needed tweaking.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 07:38 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
We have a 2-way fridge, 120AC or propane with 12v. Traveling we use propane and in a CG we use AC...
Ditto
2006 Granite Ridge 2900GS
2015 Montana High Country 345RL
cdrcos@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 07:57 AM   #7

I still do things old school. I keep my stuff in a cooler until we get to the CG and wait till the fridge cools down. It's just because I just bought (last summer) 2 very nice coolers and feel I need to justify the price by using them. I guess it's just my "pop-up" days that makes me like this. I guess I'll eventually resort to running gas on the road but quite frankly, I've never really had to. In my opinion, the coolers keep food and drinks alot colder than the fridge.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 08:08 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
In my opinion, the coolers keep food and drinks alot colder than the fridge.
The fridge in our Greyhawk keeps our stuff as cold as you could want. If I run it on the 7 setting, my pitcher of ice tea will have a 1/4" of ice on the top in a few hours.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 08:24 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Roamer View Post
The fridge in our Greyhawk keeps our stuff as cold as you could want. If I run it on the 7 setting, my pitcher of ice tea will have a 1/4" of ice on the top in a few hours.

Our refrigerator gets pretty cold but not THAT cold. I wonder if the Greyhawk's have a different fridge? And to be quite honest, I don't have a clue on what one I have. LOL.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 02:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Our refrigerator gets pretty cold but not THAT cold. I wonder if the Greyhawk's have a different fridge? And to be quite honest, I don't have a clue on what one I have. LOL.
Our Greyhawk has a Norcold model N821LT.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 08:10 AM   #11

So I have another question. The manual says to sanitize the fresh water tank with a mixture of chlorine and water. I am assuming this is the tank where the hose hooks into. How do you get this mixture into the tank?
Old 07-13-2015, 09:14 AM   #12
Site Team

Smile

Quote:
So I have another question. The manual says to sanitize the fresh water tank with a mixture of chlorine and water. I am assuming this is the tank where the hose hooks into. How do you get this mixture into the tank?
There should be two hookups on the side of the TT. One you can screw a hose ONTO, the other is a gravity fill port with a larger opening that a hose will fit INTO. that's the one that fills the FW tank. If you check around in cabinets inside, you may see the green/white hose that goes into the floor above the FW tank. Follow the upper end to the outside wall (if visible) and that will give an idea where it is outside. Mix the chlorine with a few gallons of water first, pour it in, then fill with hose, and let it sit for awhile to disinfect.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:45 AM   #13

Quote:
If there isn't a label on the inside then check on the backside
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 11:05 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Roamer View Post
You've got your fridge set too cold. Below freezing in the refrigerator section is a bit much.

Dial it back to 5 and see if you don't get ice on top of your beverages any more.

My Norcold at 1 keeps the beverages cold, the cold cuts and milk fresh.

The freezer will do 4 trays of ice a day with no problems.

And proud of it!
Old 07-13-2015, 12:28 PM   #15

I looked at our water hookup. We do not have two ports to fill. We just have one where the hose hooks up to. then there is a handle you switch to fill the fw tank. But no gravity fill.
Old 07-13-2015, 12:59 PM   #16

Quote:
I looked at our water hookup. We do not have two ports to fill. We just have one where the hose hooks up to. then there is a handle you switch to fill the fw tank. But no gravity fill.
Consider yourself lucky. Hard plumbing from the city water connection prevents the hose from falling out and having 15 minutes of water on the ground.

There should be a winterizing bypass where you normally pump antifreeze into the system.

Disconnect the city water.
Put the antifreeze pickup tube into the jug of water with the correct amount of bleach added.
Run the pump in winterizing mode with AND FW fill mode.
That should pump sanitizing solution into the FW tank.

And proud of it!