Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-25-2015, 04:29 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: washington
Posts: 12
newbie rver

So we purchased a 1998 jayco eagle. The generac generator is not working properly. Something to do with not putting out consistent voltage. The rv place cannot figure out the problem so now we must decide on what route to take. Opinions concerning getting a portable? One other question what runs the fridge as you are traveling down the road?
__________________

childers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 07:17 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Missouri City, The Republic of Texas
Posts: 3,007
We have a 2-way fridge, 120AC or propane with 12v. Travelling we use propane and in a CG we use AC. No boondocking so far. We have no generator and haven't needed one.
__________________

__________________
Cheers,
T_

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 08:24 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
mike837go's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Campbell Hall
Posts: 2,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by childers View Post
So we purchased a 1998 jayco eagle. The generac generator is not working properly. Something to do with not putting out consistent voltage. The rv place cannot figure out the problem so now we must decide on what route to take. Opinions concerning getting a portable? One other question what runs the fridge as you are traveling down the road?
We pre-cool the fridge and leave it off for the 4 hours transit to our boondock campsite.

Your genset should be repairable. If it is putting out something close to 110/220 VAC. It just a matter of fixing the engine.

But it may cost more to buy a new genset than pay a mechanic's time to eventually find the problem.

Several people here are comfortable with leaving the propane on while on the road to keep the fridge cold.
__________________
TT 2015 19RD "TheJayco"
TV 2003 F-350 "Montblanc" - Housebroken chore truck


Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 03:28 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: washington
Posts: 12
So we tried our generator and it started spit and sputtered then died. Now it will not turn over. It is a generac NP36G.
childers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 04:58 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
JFlightRisk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Newark
Posts: 1,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by childers View Post
So we tried our generator and it started spit and sputtered then died. Now it will not turn over. It is a generac NP36G.
It sounds like a carb or fuel issue with the engine, until you said it won't turn over now. When it ran, if the rpm's were surging, that would give inconsistent voltage. I would start with the electrical connections to the starter, get it to run, then check the carb, or governor if it continues to surge. If the rpm's are steady, then it may be the genset side itself. Not an expert, but did have one on our MH eons ago, that needed tweaking.
__________________
2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab
1 Spoiled Dog
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 08:38 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
cdrcos@gmail.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Shoreview, MN
Posts: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
We have a 2-way fridge, 120AC or propane with 12v. Traveling we use propane and in a CG we use AC...
Ditto
__________________
Joe & Barb
Shoreview, MN
Navarre, FL
2006 Granite Ridge 2900GS
2015 Montana High Country 345RL
cdrcos@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 08:57 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
TWP723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Abingdon
Posts: 3,594
I still do things old school. I keep my stuff in a cooler until we get to the CG and wait till the fridge cools down. It's just because I just bought (last summer) 2 very nice coolers and feel I need to justify the price by using them. I guess it's just my "pop-up" days that makes me like this. I guess I'll eventually resort to running gas on the road but quite frankly, I've never really had to. In my opinion, the coolers keep food and drinks alot colder than the fridge.
__________________
2013 Jayco Eagle 328 RLTS
2013 Ford F350 6.7L 4x4 CCLB
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zerô WDH
Me, Momma and Charles (RIP buddy)
And introducing Sofie!! ;)
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 09:08 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
NC Roamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Fuquay-Varina
Posts: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
In my opinion, the coolers keep food and drinks alot colder than the fridge.
The fridge in our Greyhawk keeps our stuff as cold as you could want. If I run it on the 7 setting, my pitcher of ice tea will have a 1/4" of ice on the top in a few hours.
__________________

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 09:24 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
TWP723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Abingdon
Posts: 3,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Roamer View Post
The fridge in our Greyhawk keeps our stuff as cold as you could want. If I run it on the 7 setting, my pitcher of ice tea will have a 1/4" of ice on the top in a few hours.

Our refrigerator gets pretty cold but not THAT cold. I wonder if the Greyhawk's have a different fridge? And to be quite honest, I don't have a clue on what one I have. LOL.
__________________
2013 Jayco Eagle 328 RLTS
2013 Ford F350 6.7L 4x4 CCLB
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zerô WDH
Me, Momma and Charles (RIP buddy)
And introducing Sofie!! ;)
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 03:28 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
NC Roamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Fuquay-Varina
Posts: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
Our refrigerator gets pretty cold but not THAT cold. I wonder if the Greyhawk's have a different fridge? And to be quite honest, I don't have a clue on what one I have. LOL.
Our Greyhawk has a Norcold model N821LT.
__________________

__________________

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.