Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-05-2015, 09:57 PM   #1

Newbie Winterization Advice

Very familiar to trailering and winterizing a 5th wheel trailer but need some advice now that we are a motorhome family. Interior side is all good, put antifreeze in lines, left fridge open etc.. but I am curious what to do with the chassis and coach batteries. I have a 2013 Seneca 37RB with 4 coach batteries and 2 chassis batteries. The coach batteries can be easily removed for storing inside over winter, but the chassis batteries are under the drivers seat and appear to be not easily removed, hence, I don't want to pull them out and I don't want to have to replace 2 dead batteries in he Spring. Should I leave a trickle charger on them over the winter to stay charged? Will they get charged if I leave all the batteries (chassis and coach) in and stay hooked up to shore power? Just wondering what others do.

Thanks
clduke72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 12:43 AM   #2

you are gonna want to start your motor and generator once a month so you might want to keep the batteries in.
Greyhawk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 09:38 AM   #3

There are 2 handy attachment points for a trickle charger on the rt side of the engine so you don't need access to the chassis batts. Hopefully they pointed that out in your walkthrough. If you are in a very cold climate, besides running at least once per month, I would put on a trickle charger.

Also, if you aren't aware, there is a plug in near the chassis batts for engine heater.

2019 Renegade Valencia 38RW
Gone: 2015 Jayco Seneca / 2010 Tiffin RED / ...
Toads: 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited / 2012 Kia Soul
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 12:07 PM   #4

I live in Canada also clDuke72 and I remove both batteries. I do not start my MH during the winter months. I put my coach battery on a trickle charger and come spring change it to my chassis battery. I also put a fuel stabilizer in with a full tank of gas.
Marshmellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 02:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltW View Post
There are 2 handy attachment points for a trickle charger on the rt side of the engine so you don't need access to the chassis batts. Hopefully they pointed that out in your walkthrough. If you are in a very cold climate, besides running at least once per month, I would put on a trickle charger.

Also, if you aren't aware, there is a plug in near the chassis batts for engine heater.
Are these "2 handy attachment points" easy to find on Class C's, specifically a GH 31??
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 05:50 PM   #6

WaltW, any chance you have a picture or a better description of where to find these attachment points? Unfortunately me dealer did not provide a very thorough walk through with this trailer.

Marshmellow, just so I understand the terminology the coach battery is your battery(s) for the engine? The batteries for the interior appliances and lights etc are easily removed with the pull out tray.

Has anyone ever confirmed that the shore power connections will charge every battery coach and chassis?

Sorry for the questions. The two batteries under the drivers side seat appear to be impossible to remove and look very heavy, so if I don't have to pull the out that would save me a ton of grief.

Thanks
Old 10-06-2015, 07:29 PM   #7

I'm a new to the Seneca too, I've had one less than 30 days. But from what I've read, if you have house power on (the switch on the entrance steps) and shore power available your house batteries will be receiving charging power; however, your chassis batteries (engine start batteries) will not be charged. There are two terminals in the passenger side front wheel well with rubber covers over them where you can hook a trickle charger to and charge your chassis batteries. I put an amp meter on the two terminals and got a 12.6 volt reading so they are connected to the chassis batteries as that is what the reading in the cab was when I turned the key on. You don't need to hook your Seneca up to 50 amp shore power to charge house batteries, you could use adapters and hook it up to normal house power and charge the batteries as long as nothing else inside the RV was turned on. That's what I have surmised with my limited Seneca experience thus far. My knowledge base is limited here, perhaps more experienced individuals will add in or correct my errors with all this.
Previous RVs: 3 truck campers and 2 fifth wheels
Love the Seneca. Toad 2018 Ford F-150
Mnwelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 07:34 PM   #8

Here are the terminals in the pax wheel well
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Previous RVs: 3 truck campers and 2 fifth wheels
Love the Seneca. Toad 2018 Ford F-150
Mnwelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 07:21 AM   #9

Thanks for all the help guys. Looks like I don't have the jumper terminals, but I'll just put a charger right on the battery terminals.
Old 10-13-2015, 08:09 AM   #10

I am fortunate enough to be able to keep my unit plugged in during storage to keep the house batteries charged. I run a battery tender plugged in the 110 outlet by the table and charge the motor batteries through the 12v cigarette ports on the dash. No chargers sitting outside at all.
Wertles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 07:38 PM   #11

I can't say for sure about previous years, but on our 2015 Seneca, both the house and chassis batteries are charged by the converter when you're plugged into shore power. Here is the info on the device that handles this (you can find it on the wall in the battery bay):

http://www.precisioncircuitsinc.com/...anual-RevA.pdf
2014 Honda CR-V toad

anav8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 08:11 PM   #12

Thanks Anav8or, my 2013 does have one of these. Thanks for including the data sheet on that battery manager, helps me understand more of this electrical system stuff. Unit was already all packed up with house batteries removed and a battery tender on the chassis batteries., but good to know for next winter!
Old 11-06-2015, 06:58 PM   #13

No problem - it is unusual to have both sets of batteries charged while plugged in, so I wanted to point it out. I'm really happy that the chassis batteries are charged - getting those things out of the compartment under the seat doesn't look like a fun job!
2014 Honda CR-V toad

anav8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 12:23 PM   #14

Ok, I'm new to this, so this will probably be a dumb question...

I have the option of plugging my 2011 Greyhawk 31SS into power. I have a 30 amp outlet in my shop. When I'm not using my Greyhawk, I plug the house into the 30 amp outlet and use a battery tender for the chassis battery? That will keep both batteries charged? Thanks!
neintx31ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 03:40 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by neintx31ss View Post
Ok, I'm new to this, so this will probably be a dumb question...

I have the option of plugging my 2011 Greyhawk 31SS into power. I have a 30 amp outlet in my shop. When I'm not using my Greyhawk, I plug the house into the 30 amp outlet and use a battery tender for the chassis battery? That will keep both batteries charged? Thanks!
Not a dumb question, but I don't follow your description.
Can you re-spain the referenced to the house being plugged into the 30a outlet?
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 04:22 PM   #16

The plug I would use when set up at a site. Would I use that plug, with an adapter, to keep the house (RV) batteries charged?
neintx31ss is offline   Reply With Quote