Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-20-2023, 06:11 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyh818 View Post
This sounds weird. I can understand that an amp requires a signal from the head unit to power up. The Sony head unit itself IS the radio.

Maybe your external signal amplifier needs a signal from the Sony head unit. There usually is a wire from the head unit that tells the amp to turn on.
Usually the blue wire. It can also be used to operate a power antenna, but that's not what the OP wants to hear!

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 11:32 AM   #22

Jayco was giving me the run around on this same problem until I showed them this thread. Then they admitted it was their fault and that I needed a separate piece installed to remedy the issue. My dealer is working with them to get it fixed. Thank you.
cpd1343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 12:25 PM   #23
TnK

Good to know!
There’s more than just me on my end too. It’s EVERY Melbourne model (possibly others as well) that has this unit installed.
TnK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 05:24 AM   #24

Dealer called. Got the part. It is some sort of amplifier. Getting fixed next week.
Old 04-27-2023, 07:43 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpd1343 View Post
Dealer called. Got the part. It is some sort of amplifier. Getting fixed next week.
Any update?
Old 04-28-2023, 03:53 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by timthetoolman View Post
Any update?
Amp and cable extension arrived. Cable extension was not amplified and not long enough. Had to order another one. The antenna has to have an amplified cable from the roof to radio. Waiting for part.
Old 05-27-2023, 07:31 PM   #27

Quote:
Amp and cable extension arrived. Cable extension was not amplified and not long enough. Had to order another one. The antenna has to have an amplified cable from the roof to radio. Waiting for part.
Any further updates?
Old 05-28-2023, 07:39 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by timthetoolman View Post
Any further updates?
No. Still waiting.
Old 07-09-2023, 08:21 PM   #29

Quote:
No. Still waiting.
Still waiting???
timthetoolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2023, 12:38 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnK View Post
Update***

5 return trips to my dealership (each trip is a 5-6 hour drive round trip) and STILL have no reception on the radio.
I honestly do not know what to do next.
I’ve only got 9 more months on my factory warranty to get this resolved.
I’m beginning to think I’d be better off taking the thing to car toys or somewhere and getting them to install an entirely new system.
But they certainly would not remove the ceiling in the rv to run the wires properly…
Honestly…we are at our wits end and thinking of making the 4 day drive to Jayco and have the factory fix the damned thing!!
Had a similar issue with one front channel out on my audio system. Jayco service center said it was a coach issue. Mercedes said it was a Jayco issue. Finally threw up my hands in exasperation. Checked with Jayco while still under warranty, and they said they would reimburse a car audio place to fix the problem. Took it to a local car audio place,and they found the amplifier to the front speaker system had a bad channel. I also had them update the front speakers and paid the difference between what Jayco reimbursed for a new amp and labor, and what the audio shop wanted. You may want to check with a car stereo place to see if they can help...
bill_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 07:49 PM   #31
TnK

This may be a long post and for that I apologize

FINALLY…after 22 months of back and forth with dealerships and Jayco I have my radio functioning normally! But Jayco, or my dealership, nor a second repair center did the fix…I did.

I was finally able to convince Jayco (I had to go to the GP of customer service to get any further action on my issue) that what the previous dealership said they had done they did not because they didn’t even know how to access the extension cable connection. So Jayco allowed me to take the unit to a second repair center. After 3 weeks in their shop they said they replaced the cable from the radio to the extension cable and no the radio worked…Sort of. But they swear that’s as good as it could get. It did get an am signal that’s true…provided you were within a couple of mikes of the transmitter tower. Lots of static making the signal still useless.
Ultimately I convinced my Mercedes’ dealership (whom I have a very good relationship with) to take a look at their part of the system (which is the antenna, amplifier, and the cable from the radio). Once they opened the overhead (light box) console they immediately brought me to look at the mess from Jayco and/or the second dealership. I have pictures but don’t know how to upload them.
They refused any further work because this was a messy and incorrect install from Jayco and not their responsibility….can’t blame them, I’d have refused to work on it for free too! So…after showing me how yo access the wiring I took the unit home.
As a former NAVY electronics repair instructor I decided I could look at this myself and figure it out. Here’s what I found. As I untaped (yes…Jayco uses electrical tape and liquid tape yo seal up the connections they make I had the unit on and suddenly the radio would work tight and I’d get a great signal when I wiggled the wires just right. So I disconnected everything and started from scratch.
Long story short is that somehow the signal was being grounded out through the coaxial cable AT THE CONNECTION. I I connect the co-ax cable shield from the extension cable to the cable coming from the radio the signal would ground out but disconnect that shield wire and I get a great signal.
So I soldered the 2 center conductor wires together (eliminating a connector at that point) and used heat shrink to seal it up. Problem solved…almost.
I now had a good signal even on distant stations but still had some irritating static. I solved that issue by pulling the radio out of the dash to access the back of the unit and installed a ferrite magnet on the co-ax next to the antenna plug.
Now I get a great signal and no static!

I really wish I could post the pictures…the install would shock a child it was so bad. In fact…I know 5th graders that could do it better!!
Old 10-06-2023, 07:15 AM   #32

Glad you finally got it solved. As far as this class of MB based RV's, the Melbourne is on the less expensive side, but I still expect better craftsmanship than what I/we found.
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2023, 12:03 PM   #33
TnK

Agreed...
Old 10-06-2023, 07:04 PM   #34

Nice job on the repair. Sometimes it's just easier to do it yourself. I too used to support Navy Aircraft and designed and worked on radars on a couple of them (EE by degree). Fixed at least 2 coaxial connectors in the RV - one for video from the Pioneer unit on the back of the TV, and the antenna cable into the amplifier. It's nice to know how to do the basic repairs...
bill_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 10:45 AM   #35
TnK

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_k View Post
nice job on the repair. Sometimes it's just easier to do it yourself. I too used to support navy aircraft and designed and worked on radars on a couple of them (ee by degree). Fixed at least 2 coaxial connectors in the rv - one for video from the pioneer unit on the back of the tv, and the antenna cable into the amplifier. It's nice to know how to do the basic repairs...

👍🏻