Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-24-2022, 12:31 PM   #1
TnK

Angry No AM/FM

Unit is 2022 Melbourne. Issue is there no AM/FM radio on the SONY head unit.
Background goes as follows:
I found this problem the first time I drove it home from the dealer. Once we got it home I called the dealer and informed them. Made an appointment for the 3 1/2 hour drive to get it repaired couple of weeks later .
The dealer took a look and their techs determined it to be a bad antenna (the powered roof antenna). They did this removing in from the roof to get at the wiring so they could do a TDR (time domain reflectometry) test on the wiring. Then they ordered the antenna. This meant I still had no AM/FM on the radio.
Well…once they got the replacement antenna in they called me for an appointment and I made the long drive a second time. Turned out they received (or parts had ordered…they won’t tell me which) the XM radio antenna instead. So…wrong antenna and they had to reorder. Another 3 weeks go by and I call to check on the status. They inform me that Jayco has authorized them to use an aftermarket model of antenna and I should bring it to them for the install.
Ok…I did.
Turns out the aftermarket is one of those cheap stick-on-the-window types. Which they mounted behind the grill. I check it and it’s better than no radio and we’ve got a cross-country trip planned in the next couple of days so I take it.

This antenna is GARBAGE! It only has a 25 mi. range and that’s IF I’m pointed in the general direction of the broadcast antenna!!
I cannot even get emergency or cautionary warnings (from those flashing roadside warning signs). That and traffic reports are the whole reason we want this working!

For whatever reason I cannot see to get my dealership to replace the original Omni-directional amplified antenna on the roof. Their excuse is they don’t want to open the roof and break the seal (but they did that already on the first visit). But now they want me to bring it back to them a 4th time so they can try relocating this crappy stock-on antenna. Appointment is December 13th.

I tried taking it to another Jayco authorized repair place closer to me but after a 2 month wait they told me they couldn’t work on it’s center it had already been worked on at another location.
For now I’m at a loss as to what to do…but as of right now it appears that I’m going to have to make the 5600 mi. round trip to Jayco to get it fixed properly.
Jayco said they could schedule me in for some time in February but I’m not driving cross country in the heart of Winter in the mid-west so it’ll have to wait until later in the year. But my warranty ends next November so…

In case you haven’t noticed, at this point I’m well beyond frustrated.

Anyone have anything similar happen? Recommendations??
TnK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 02:36 PM   #2

It's been so long since I listened to terrestrial radio I had to refresh my understanding of the antenna.

Before I'd spend ant more money on fuel, I'd order a new one from Amazon and either install it myself or have a mobile repair service do it. Knowing it's a long shot I would try to recoup some of the cost from Jayco. Some folks have gotten good results but who knows with this?
Old 11-25-2022, 08:41 AM   #3

With the price of fuel, it would be cheaper to buy the antenna you want and do it yourself or pay someone local. Then try to get money out of Jayco. Even if you don't get reimbursed you will most likely come out ahead.
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 08:56 AM   #4

As a side note. Modern GPS units and phone maps do very well with emergency or cautionary warnings. These are targeted to your route. Some of the AM warnings I tuned into were for that area and not my specific route. We use Iheart Radio app on the phone to tune into local stations and play through the coach speakers while we travel. No static but we lose the broadcast time to time depending on the phone signal. This is less annoying than static from a weak broadcast signal or scanning for a strong signal and content we may like.

Good luck.
Old 11-25-2022, 09:06 AM   #5
Site Team

Another side note, my new Motorola smart phone has a built in FM radio app. Works really well actually. I'm not suggesting this to be a long term solution. But, could be used as a stopgap until you successfully get the antenna replaced.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 12:14 PM   #6

I live at the fringe of radio reception for stations that I like. I actually listen to the radio on an app more than I actually tune in. Uses minimal data on my phone plan. Not everyone uses a smart phone or likes embracing technology but for me is worth the effort.
Old 11-26-2022, 10:03 PM   #7
TnK

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaftCoach View Post
It's been so long since I listened to terrestrial radio I had to refresh my understanding of the antenna.

Before I'd spend ant more money on fuel, I'd order a new one from Amazon and either install it myself or have a mobile repair service do it. Knowing it's a long shot I would try to recoup some of the cost from Jayco. Some folks have gotten good results but who knows with this?
I hear ya….but I want the factory antenna to work as it’s supposed to, not have some aftermarket thing just randomly stuck on somewhere.
My concern is has this happened to others and what did they do to solve the issue?

We have the XM to listen to if we have to but we prefer local stations as we travel. Mostly for traffic and weather updates.
Old 11-26-2022, 10:05 PM   #8
TnK

I’m new to smartphones so 8 don’t know about these radio apps you mention but I do use google maps and gas buddy to look for fuel stops along my route.
So my phone is on the entire time we’re traveling.
Old 11-29-2022, 05:20 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
Another side note, my new Motorola smart phone has a built in FM radio app. Works really well actually. I'm not suggesting this to be a long term solution. But, could be used as a stopgap until you successfully get the antenna replaced.
This. Most aftermarket auto radios, (such as your Sony) should have a Bluetooth speaker option that would allow you to play the radio app from the phone to the RV dash radio, which in turn uses the RV speakers.

I've used my wife's iPhone to play the football games through the RV radio/speakers. A lot cheaper than subscribing to Sirus.

Once you experience this wonderful technoligy, you'll buy a Smart TV for the RV, and enjoy TV in the living quarters without having to use the lousy cable or antenna for TV viewing, should the weather get bad outside where you can't enjoy sitting outside in the great outdoors!

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 07:41 PM   #10
TnK

Yes…the radio has the Bluetooth option. And we do OCCASIONALLY enjoy the XM radio stations.
Which I have been using with google maps so I can hear the “turn-by-turn directions.
We also have a factory installed smart tv but I’m still looking for an inexpensive unlimited wireless plan to fully utilize it. That’s an entirely different subject worthy of its own thread however.

I just fail to understand why my dealer refuses to replace the existing antenna which he swears is faulty AND that Jayco agrees with it!
Old 12-01-2022, 05:33 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnK View Post
Yes…the radio has the Bluetooth option. And we do OCCASIONALLY enjoy the XM radio stations.
Which I have been using with google maps so I can hear the “turn-by-turn directions.
We also have a factory installed smart tv but I’m still looking for an inexpensive unlimited wireless plan to fully utilize it. That’s an entirely different subject worthy of its own thread however.

I just fail to understand why my dealer refuses to replace the existing antenna which he swears is faulty AND that Jayco agrees with it!
You have a valid point! I'd continue to pursue getting the antenna replaced.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 08:01 PM   #12
TnK

Update***

5 return trips to my dealership (each trip is a 5-6 hour drive round trip) and STILL have no reception on the radio.
I honestly do not know what to do next.
I’ve only got 9 more months on my factory warranty to get this resolved.
I’m beginning to think I’d be better off taking the thing to car toys or somewhere and getting them to install an entirely new system.
But they certainly would not remove the ceiling in the rv to run the wires properly…
Honestly…we are at our wits end and thinking of making the 4 day drive to Jayco and have the factory fix the damned thing!!
Old 02-13-2023, 10:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Honestly…we are at our wits end and thinking of making the 4 day drive to Jayco and have the factory fix the damned thing!!
Sadly, that may be the best alternative. I hear they're busy, so you might want to call for an appointment *now*.
Old 02-14-2023, 05:14 AM   #14

We had a bum radio
We drove 15 miles to our dealer and they ordered a replacement from. Jayco
Took it back when the. radio was in .
Done.
Now as to getting wearher uodates
Local radio doesn't do that anymore
We were off line no cell service no power for four days at Christmas and locsl radio never gave news

Better off withba good weather app.
We have gotten tornado watches/warnings via radio on our travels. Totally useless to us as we don't know what county we are in.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 06:46 PM   #15
TnK

I have a few other things I want to try before I contact Jayco but yeah…I’m calling them tomorrow to see what my options are and go from there.
Old 02-14-2023, 09:21 PM   #16
TnK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Gass View Post
We had a bum radio
We drove 15 miles to our dealer and they ordered a replacement from. Jayco
Took it back when the. radio was in .
Done.
Now as to getting wearher uodates
Local radio doesn't do that anymore
We were off line no cell service no power for four days at Christmas and locsl radio never gave news

Better off withba good weather app.
We have gotten tornado watches/warnings via radio on our travels. Totally useless to us as we don't know what county we are in.

Local radio in Seattle give traffic and weather updates every 10 min.
More importantly we have a lot of those road/traffic condition alerts here (you know, the flashing lights with a sign saying tune to 530 am for more information).
If I don’t have a working am radio I won’t get that info.
Old 02-15-2023, 11:24 AM   #17

Well that is a city of some size
Portland has but 65,000 people and its pur biggest ciry
We don't camp in cities anyhow and don't see traffic jama unless someone made a bad move.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 02:45 AM   #18
TnK

I talked to Jayco this morning.
Explained the problem at length. The rep explained that Jayco installs the Sony head units and an extension cable to install the antenna but they were unaware that the Sony head unit requires a power signal FROM THE RADIO to energize the amplifier and receive an AM signal.
Jayco is now trying to figure out what to do to remedy the issue and has reopened the case with my dealer so they can recover their costs from Jayco.

Both the Jayco rep and my dealer will be in touch when there is a remedy for the issue. We are hoping to resolve it locally…I told the rep I would prefer not to make the trip to Indiana but if that’s what it takes then I will.
That is the best I can hope for at this time.
Old 02-17-2023, 12:31 PM   #19

Quote:
the Sony head unit requires a power signal FROM THE RADIO to energize the amplifier and receive an AM signal.
This sounds weird. I can understand that an amp requires a signal from the head unit to power up. The Sony head unit itself IS the radio.

Maybe your external signal amplifier needs a signal from the Sony head unit. There usually is a wire from the head unit that tells the amp to turn on.
jyh818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 01:41 PM   #20
TnK

I thoughts that’s what I said….lol.
guess I just worded it wrong. Ha ha ha