Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-12-2021, 06:35 PM   #1

No DC power

Hello, first time poster. I have a 2015 Redhawk 26XD with an electrical issue. With no power available, the main power switch at the entry of the cab isn't working and nothing will work. I can start the generator and once it is started, the microwave has power to it and will operate but the main power switch still will not work and no other appliance or device has power. The same observation is made when plugged into shore power. I checked the GFI and breakers but am at a loss.
Jrey78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 07:02 PM   #2

There would be a fuse and not a breaker that controls your 12 volt. Did you have the batteries out? If you did are they connected correctly? If they were improperly connected you may have blown the reverse polarity fuse. Also there is a fuse on the battery disconnect relay that may be blown, it is usually right near the batteries.
Old 04-12-2021, 07:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrey78 View Post
Hello, first time poster. I have a 2015 Redhawk 26XD with an electrical issue. With no power available, the main power switch at the entry of the cab isn't working and nothing will work. I can start the generator and once it is started, the microwave has power to it and will operate but the main power switch still will not work and no other appliance or device has power. The same observation is made when plugged into shore power. I checked the GFI and breakers but am at a loss.
https://www.technorv.com/articles/ho...Q63nbGg0ktkmuc

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 08:01 PM   #4

Here is some info on the relay operation.
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.JPG  

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 03:43 PM   #5

Update

Thanks for all the info. Looking at the diagram, it would appear that the issue may reside with the converter because the microwave works although nothing else does.
I can start the generator with the batteries so I know it is still working. Does anyone know how to reset the converter?
Old 04-13-2021, 03:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Thanks for all the info. Looking at the diagram, it would appear that the issue may reside with the converter because the microwave works although nothing else does.
I can start the generator with the batteries so I know it is still working. Does anyone know how to reset the converter?
Welcome to the website. FYI, I am not too far away from you being that you are from Weatherford TX.

If the batteries have power as you indicated, then the converter would not be the issue as the RV should have 12v power from the batteries regardless of the converter. Have you tried disconnecting the battery(s) for a few minutes as that should reset the battery disconnect relay and allow you to turn it on again, as referenced by Jim in the comments above? ~CA
Old 04-13-2021, 04:14 PM   #7

Does the house battery have any power? Check with volt meter/multi-meter.
If the house battery has power and the master switch still doesn't work, I'm wondering if its a ground on the master switch.

I've read where leaving a battery out and only being plugged in could damage the converter.

It should work only plugged in to shore power, but this requires converter.

If you are not getting power and don't have a battery, check the converter. If you have a battery and it has 13V, I'd look at grounds.
Old 04-13-2021, 04:55 PM   #8

not sure what model this was, but they had to have a battery connected for 12V systems to work. Something to check if you don't have a battery connected.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ion-32694.html
Even if the battery is there, if its toast, it still may not work - 12V not working, battery connected but toast.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...wer-71243.html
Old 04-17-2021, 07:01 AM   #9

Did you get this fixed? What was is?
Old 04-17-2021, 11:20 AM   #10

Quote:
There is no "resetting" of the converter but there is a 120 volt circuit breaker feeding it. See if it is tripped. Check the output voltage of the converter with a voltmeter. 12 volts DC. The microwave is 100% 120 volts.

Old 04-17-2021, 01:16 PM   #11

Update.

Still no success. Battery is good. I disconnected and charged the battery but symptoms remain the same. Microwave will run with generator or shore power but nothing else will work. With the battery only, nothing works. I checked all the breakers and fuses but no smoking gun.
Old 04-17-2021, 01:43 PM   #12

Quote:
Update.

Still no success. Battery is good. I disconnected and charged the battery but symptoms remain the same. Microwave will run with generator or shore power but nothing else will work. With the battery only, nothing works. I checked all the breakers and fuses but no smoking gun.
You have 2 different power systems in your rig and they are independent of each other. The 120 volt side appears to be working so you can mostly ignore the shore power/generator side of things.

Apparently you have some battery power since you can start the generator. The battery may be directly connected to the generator. Now the question is why aren't you getting battery power to the rig and also why isn't your converter supplying 12 volts regardless of whether the battery is connected or not.

The converter, when powered by either shore power or the generator, should send 12 volts to everything even with no battery. It should also charge the battery at the same time. The battery should be able to power all 12 volt items all by itself.

I am just guessing here but I would think the converter output would be fed to the fuse panel as well as to the battery for charging. If this is the case, something is going on at either the fuse panel or the ground connection. If the converter is connected to the battery only, that is a different story.

Use a volt meter and see if you have anything at the fuse panel. Plug into shore power and check the voltage across the 2 12 volt output wires from the converter. If you have 12 volts coming out of the converter (across the 2 wires), measure from the converter 12 volt positive lead to a metal ground. This will tell you if you have a ground problem if you can measure the converter but not get 12 volts at the fuse panel to a metal ground.

The battery may have a disconnect switch and a breaker or fuse but those items would not affect the converter's ability to power the rig. You have to look for something in common with both 12 volt power feeds. I don't think there is a master fuse that kills everything like a master circuit breaker would kill the 120 volts.

Without a voltmeter you will never resolve the problem. Start at the fuse panel and work you way back from there to see where the 12 volts is being lost. With shore power applied, measure across the battery to see if it is charging. That will tell us a lot.

Don't forget the ground connection. You may be sending 12 volts down the line but if there is no ground nothing will work.
Attached Thumbnails
Voltmeter.JPG  

Jim

Old 04-17-2021, 03:01 PM   #13

Without you having a voltmeter and the knowledge to use it everyone here is wasting their time. I'm outa of here.

Old 04-17-2021, 04:38 PM   #14

Thanks for the info. I have a voltmeter and do read 12 vDC at the panel. I guess the question is where should it be going? There is a "main power" switch for the house at the door that is not indicating power which usually must be switched on for the house to have power, I suspect that the switch may be bad? Do you know how that is supposed to work?

I read 12v from the battery and 12v to the convertor but from there there is nothing. The panel model is PD4060K.
Old 04-17-2021, 04:52 PM   #15

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I have a voltmeter and do read 12 vDC at the panel. I guess the question is where should it be going? There is a "main power" switch for the house at the door that is not indicating power which usually must be switched on for the house to have power, I suspect that the switch may be bad? Do you know how that is supposed to work?

I read 12v from the battery and 12v to the convertor but from there there is nothing. The panel model is PD4060K.
Read the info in the picture from Post #4 above. It describes what can go wrong with this switch.

Jim

Old 04-17-2021, 05:03 PM   #16

Thanks JimD, now I need to find the coach's common ground point. When I read that I thought disconnecting the battery would solve the issue but it sounds like that was not the correct answer.

Find the common ground and disconnected it like it said but still no luck.
Old 04-17-2021, 06:01 PM   #17

Finally!

Thanks everyone! Finally got it! I completely disconnected the battery solenoid and then reconnected...... pure magic! Thanks for all the info, I certainly learned a lot about my unit.
Old 04-21-2021, 12:07 PM   #18

Quote:
Thanks everyone! Finally got it! I completely disconnected the battery solenoid and then reconnected...... pure magic! Thanks for all the info, I certainly learned a lot about my unit.
I think That’s what CraigAV said to do! He held down his disconnect switch instead of his awning button by mistake and had to reset the Solenoid.
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 12:13 PM   #19

Could be as easy as a dead coach battery I would start there
Berjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 04:06 PM   #20

If you hold battery disconnect button to long it will lockout disconnect ground cable from batteries for one minute will reset it all this info is in owners manual
JGoggans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
no power inside