Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-12-2022, 01:41 PM   #1

No gas to Generator.

Hi Folks,

I have an issue with my generator on my 2016 GrayHawk 31 DS

Generator would not start...so I disconnected the gasline to the carb and no gas came out when I was trying to start it.

Decided to replace the fuel pump. When I took off the gasline to the input of the fuel pump and there was no gas in the fuel line coming from the gas tank.
I replaced the fuel pump anyway...and as expected it didn't fix the problem.

My gas tank is full so I shouldn't have the 1/4 tank problem. But, what I don't know is how the system knows it is below a 1/4 tank level and what happens? Is there a solenoid valve that stops the flow??? Does the Generator fuel line physically attach at the 1/4 tank full level?

Anyway, my problem is there is no gas to the input of the fuel pump...any ideas?

Karl
Old 02-12-2022, 01:57 PM   #2

Did you try blowing into the line from the inlet of the fuel pump to the main fuel tank? Perhaps there's an obstruction or a kink/collapse?
jyh818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 02:07 PM   #3

Thanks for the suggestion...I was thinking about doing that but wanted to learn how the system works.

I was also somewhat hesitant because if the line had a clog in it I didn't want to blow it into the fuel tank.
Old 02-12-2022, 02:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowCross View Post
Does the Generator fuel line physically attach at the 1/4 tank full level?

I know you need answers not guesses - but I believe the connection is physical and about "1/4" of the way up. My generator does not stop at 1/4 tank. I haven't run it down to see where it does, but I know I can go past 1/4 on the gauge and it still runs.

That's what makes me think it's a physical thing.
Old 02-12-2022, 03:12 PM   #5

Thanks for the reply.
I came across this from a Onan handbook at this site:

https://cdn.ltvdns.com/leisurevans.c...r-Handbook.pdf

Fuel is drawn from a remote fuel tank, which in many cases is usually the vehicle’s main fuel tank. Typically the generator’s fuel pickup only extends 3/4 of the way to the bottom of the tank — to prevent you from completely draining the tank and finding yourself stranded at your campsite!

I think I'll try to blow out the line like jyh818 suggested.
Old 02-12-2022, 04:56 PM   #6

Is your fuel pump coming on when push the prime button?
Old 02-12-2022, 06:11 PM   #7

To test the generator itself in regards to fuel supply, you can run a fuel line from the gen filter input to a gas can/tank/whatever; bypassing the camper fuel supply. This will isolate the problem between the camper and the gen itself. As part of this diagnosis, do the disconnect at the carb again to ensure you have flow (actually do this 1st). Press the Prime side of the button for these tests. You should hear the fuel pump clicking, of course.
dxrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 06:21 PM   #8

Quote:
My gas tank is full so I shouldn't have the 1/4 tank problem. But, what I don't know is how the system knows it is below a 1/4 tank level and what happens? Is there a solenoid valve that stops the flow??? Does the Generator fuel line physically attach at the 1/4 tank full level?l
My understanding is that the gen fuel supply has its own supply pickup that extends down into the camper fuel tank, and it only extends down "so far" above the bottom of the tank; at around the level of 1/4 tank above bottom. Thus the gen fuel supply would run dry when the tank level is near/below around 1/4 tank full. I dont believe the system is any "smarter" than this simple concept.
dxrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 08:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyh818 View Post
Did you try blowing into the line from the inlet of the fuel pump to the main fuel tank? Perhaps there's an obstruction or a kink/collapse?
I attached an air compressor to the gas line and blew it back to the fuel tank.
This didn't help....all though I believe I hear air leaking somewhere around the gas tank but really can't tell.
I'm trying to get close to where I think I hear the leak but there is so much in the way...when I get close to where I think the leak may be the air-compressor comes on and drowns out the leak sound.

I think the next thing I'll have to do is a hand over hand tracing of the gas line back to the tank...then again I was thinking, is there an easy way to blow smoke up the gas line then look for the leaking smoke? I'll have to do a Duck,duck,go search and see if they sell anything like that.
Old 02-12-2022, 08:33 PM   #10

Quote:
This didn't help....all though I believe I hear air leaking somewhere around the gas tank but really can't tell.
I'm trying to get close to where I think I hear the leak but there is so much in the way...when I get close to where I think the leak may be the air-compressor comes on and drowns out the leak sound.

I think the next thing I'll have to do is a hand over hand tracing of the gas line back to the tank...then again I was thinking, is there an easy way to blow smoke up the gas line then look for the leaking smoke? I'll have to do a Duck,duck,go search and see if they sell anything like that.
Could be a cracked line or one that a critter thought was tasty..
Old 02-12-2022, 08:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Could be a cracked line or one that a critter thought was tasty..
That's what I'm thinking Grumpy. The problem is getting to it and finding it.
I had a propane leak earlier caused by the critters munching on it....used a propane leak detector to zero in on it.
Old 02-12-2022, 11:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Hi Folks,

I have an issue with my generator on my 2016 GrayHawk 31 DS

Generator would not start...so I disconnected the gasline to the carb and no gas came out when I was trying to start it.

Decided to replace the fuel pump. When I took off the gasline to the input of the fuel pump and there was no gas in the fuel line coming from the gas tank.
I replaced the fuel pump anyway...and as expected it didn't fix the problem.

My gas tank is full so I shouldn't have the 1/4 tank problem. But, what I don't know is how the system knows it is below a 1/4 tank level and what happens? Is there a solenoid valve that stops the flow??? Does the Generator fuel line physically attach at the 1/4 tank full level?

Anyway, my problem is there is no gas to the input of the fuel pump...any ideas?

Karl
1) 1/4-tank= GEN pickup goes into top of tank, but pickup does not go down to the bottom of the main tank, stops at 1/4-tank level, so it sucks air if fuel gets below it;
2) Fuel did not flow when line disconnected because it is SUCTIONED out of tank by the pump;
IF NEW PUMP RUNS when you hold STOP/PRIME, (5-15-seconds?) and still no fuel, check rubber HOSE for a SHUT-OFF VALVE INSTALLED BY PREVIOUS OWNER? or for cracks/ breaks in line that would allow sucking air?

If pump does NOT run in Prime, then maybe circuit board or GEN fuse issue (by/ near start button).

If you have further issues, please provide BRAND/ MODEL OF GENERATOR, (not RV) Good Luck. MY 22-yo Onan Emerald Plus 4kw starts w/ a 3+second crank, (crankx3, pause x3, crank/starts), and had a good workout during ice storm power outage.
thenne1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 11:15 PM   #13

Quote:

I bought something similar to this to find an EVAP leak. You hook it to your battery and it has a heating coil and you use mineral oil to make the smoke. The canister is just a paint can and it has a pressure regulator that puts out 3 psi or so. You hook it up to your compressor and it will blow smoke into the hoses.

https://www.vehiclegeni.com/detail/o...210079548.html

Click image for larger version

Name:	SmokeMachine.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	78925
jyh818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 11:23 PM   #14

Warning, beware blowing air, you can generate an explosive gas/air mixture that air compressor pressure switch could ignite? Or rupture fuel tank?
thenne1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 07:23 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenne1713 View Post
1) 1/4-tank= GEN pickup goes into top of tank, but pickup does not go down to the bottom of the main tank, stops at 1/4-tank level, so it sucks air if fuel gets below it;
2) Fuel did not flow when line disconnected because it is SUCTIONED out of tank by the pump;
IF NEW PUMP RUNS when you hold STOP/PRIME, (5-15-seconds?) and still no fuel, check rubber HOSE for a SHUT-OFF VALVE INSTALLED BY PREVIOUS OWNER? or for cracks/ breaks in line that would allow sucking air?

If pump does NOT run in Prime, then maybe circuit board or GEN fuse issue (by/ near start button).

If you have further issues, please provide BRAND/ MODEL OF GENERATOR, (not RV) Good Luck. MY 22-yo Onan Emerald Plus 4kw starts w/ a 3+second crank, (crankx3, pause x3, crank/starts), and had a good workout during ice storm power outage.
Thanks for the input.
The pump does run...with the fuel line removed at the carb I can feel the air pulsing out of the fuel line as the pump tries to prime.
I believe the line is split ot chewed up towards the fuel tank.
Old 02-14-2022, 05:28 AM   #16

Could someone have installed a shutoff valve on the line that feeds the generator's carb?

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 03:16 PM   #17

I found the problem of "no gas".

I traced the line back to the top of the gas tank and found the fitting damaged.
Old 02-19-2022, 12:29 PM   #18

I was able to replace the varmint eaten quick disconnect fitting at the gas tank.....and still can't get a prime.

Nothing's easy is it?
Old 02-19-2022, 07:54 PM   #19

I also have a 2016 31DS. Does your generator have a history of being hard to start?
When mine was new-to-me, I always had trouble starting the generator. A person on another forum who also has the same unit shared his system of starting in answer to my question. I was skeptical, but nothing to lose, so... I tried it. It worked.
So, push and hold that prime rocker switch on the control panel for a full 30 seconds, not just until the amber light is steady. You would think it would flood, but, no.
Try to start. It won't.
Push and hold another 30 seconds. It still won't start though it might "cough" a little this time.
The 3rd time is the charm. Push and hold as before. It starts.
Two plus years later, it still starts that way; it is no worse but not improved.
WHY? Idk. Maybe the gas tank is too far away? I hope it works for you, too.
sbmanatee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 08:44 PM   #20

I always seems to start up.

I primed it several times after fixing the fitting and it stopped on over crank. No gas to the carb.

Next thing I'm going to do is remove the hose from the intake to the fuel pump and run a line to a gas can...and see if it'll start.

I'll let you know what happens.