Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-01-2024, 09:34 AM   #1

No ladder

Hello, well after looking for what seems like years, the DW and i have finally made a purchase. It's a 2018 Jayco Envoy 29 v 200. Low miles, one owner and we're really happy. So my first question, and I'll assume I'll have many, this unit does not have a ladder? So I know roof condition is important to maintain and a collapsing ladder is probably the answer to getting on the roof. I'm wondering if the ladder was omitted to keep people off the roof? Is maintenance supposed to be done from the edges. Thanks for any thoughts Chris
04Roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 10:12 AM   #2

Ladder or no ladder you can still get on the roof for your 6 month inspections. Many rigs are being made without them. People are using the collapsible ladders that are now on the market, they are safer too.
Old 03-01-2024, 03:16 PM   #3

Same issue here. This is how I solved it.

With the storage space at a premium, I opted for the collapsible ladder as well. I recently purchased a bumper support, brackets and a Bauer under truck body tool box. The box is 18x18x48 and is made of aluminum so as to keep the weight down. The ladder fits at a slight angle, but this beats having to remove everything on top of it in one of the basement bays.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6637.jpg  
melbournemedford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 06:31 AM   #4

Well for me, would not leave home without a spare tire or ladder. My reason goes back several years. I use to tow a 5th wheel with ladder and we were in Utah and there was terrible rain one night and ended up with a major roof leak. I was able to get up there and apply a quick patch for a temporary repair on road. Also back a number of years we had a damage tire traveling thru SC and had no spare and the repair to replace the tire on I-95 cost greater than $350 and that was more than 10 years back. I now have a Jayco Class C Redhawk 26 ft and now carry both a spare and a telescopic ladder, just in case. On the road unfortunately without these additions you can be FARE game for a lot of unsavory characters. If you want to keep going down the road you have to pay their price regardless of what it cost. Unfortunately.
xmtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 07:57 AM   #5

For some reason, Jayco in 2018 model decided ladders were not needed. Our 2018 Alante 29S has no ladder either. Before that and now that model has a ladder.
Kevin Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 08:17 AM   #6

I was under the same impression as 04Roadglide and thought that if there is no ladder then the roof is not made to walk on. I’m sure I read that from Jayco many years ago. Has this changed?
tnka trk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 08:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnka trk View Post
I was under the same impression as 04Roadglide and thought that if there is no ladder then the roof is not made to walk on. I’m sure I read that from Jayco many years ago. Has this changed?
I have never heard or read that. Ladders were optional on some rigs so there are many where the dealer or customer never ordered one. It had nothing to do with the roof. Even the Hydrids, where there is no place to even put a ladder, have roofs that you can walk on.

As Kevin said his model year didn't have one, but they were available before and after and the roof is the same on all 3 years.
Old 03-03-2024, 08:34 AM   #8

I did send a email to Jayco corporate and received a reply quite quickly. They said it was fine to walk on the roof for inspections and maintenance.
Now this is completely unrelated but I have discovered that our "Envoy" was 1 of 173 built for "LA Mesa" rv. A major dealer here in the Southwest and California. So maybe not a full blown Unicorn but kinda rare.
Thanks for all the reply!
04Roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 09:15 AM   #9

Thanks Grumpy. I’m still learning new things every day!! Much appreciated!!
tnka trk is offline   Reply With Quote