Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-22-2021, 11:28 AM   #1

Question No ladder for overcab bunks - 2021 Redhawk SE 22c

Just purchased a 2021 Redhawk SE 22C motorhome. It did not come with a ladder to access the over cab bunks. Jayco parts department tells me that there is not a bunk ladder option for this unit. My question is: How do you get up on the over the cab bunk without a ladder?
ImaCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 12:00 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaCamper View Post
Just purchased a 2021 Redhawk SE 22C motorhome. It did not come with a ladder to access the over cab bunks. Jayco parts department tells me that there is not a bunk ladder option for this unit. My question is: How do you get up on the over the cab bunk without a ladder?
I would purchase one from amazon or another retailer, not necessarily this one although this one is a best seller. There are several to choose from on amazon and I suspect wherever RV parts are sold you could also obtain one. You certainly need a ladder to get up there, I have crawled into mine w/o one and it is a challenge for sure. Maybe not a challenge for small children with help from an adult though. I mainly use mine for extra storage. ~CA
Attached Thumbnails
cab-ladder.JPG  
Old 02-22-2021, 01:10 PM   #3

That sounds like a very poor cost saving step.
Old 02-22-2021, 01:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini4mw View Post
In fact, I would call the selling dealer and double check with them. The Jayco parts department could have been confused as a "bunk ladder" may be only for those RV's with a bunk bed (which yours and most do not have), not an overhead cab bed ladder which if Jayco doesn't provide one with each new Class C that has the overhead bed, then as mini4mw stated that would be a very poor way to save on costs. ~CA
Old 02-22-2021, 01:33 PM   #5

I did look at the 360 view for the 22A Redhawk SE (only SE with bunk folded down) and it doesn't have those clips for a ladder on the bunk to prevent a ladder from moving.
Old 02-22-2021, 01:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini4mw View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
In fact, I would call the selling dealer and double check with them. T
They haven't supplied ladders for a while..
Old 02-22-2021, 02:32 PM   #7

Send a message via MSN to alvinator
New Jayco 22A Redhawk

Our new 22A came without a ladder. At 75 years old, I wouldn't sleep up there if it had an escalator.
Demco Stay n Play
alvinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 03:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvinator View Post
Our new 22A came without a ladder. At 75 years old, I wouldn't sleep up there if it had an escalator.
Lol, mine is actually pretty comfortable and with the right ladder it is not too bad to get up there although I only got up there to see if I could, I am a bit younger but I have had both shoulders majorly operated on in the past few years and still have a hard time... yes, very challenging for me as well, but once you are up there the bed itself isn't too bad, getting back down is in my opinion just as hard if not harder than getting up there. We use the overhead bed area for storing lightweight clothes, blankets, and food items, then close the curtains off. ~CA
Old 02-22-2021, 03:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
They haven't supplied ladders for a while..
Very sad to hear, I bought mine used so the ladder could have been a purchased item instead of it coming with the RV. I bet though that if a person was to purchase a new Class C and told the dealer that the deal is off if it doesn't have a cabover ladder, that it would then come with a cabover bed ladder...
Old 02-22-2021, 03:49 PM   #10

Quote:

I think it's worth asking the dealer. It might be one of those "Leave it out, save $12 and see if they complain" items.

If not, you're not missing much. It's good for the kids. But anyone with real feet and feelings will find it painful to use. The distance between steps is ridiculous too.

The kids would rather scramble up and jump down.

The adults? We bring along the 3-step foldable step ladder often found in the kitchen. Folds up to about the same storage size. Much more comfortable to use.
Old 02-22-2021, 05:12 PM   #11

My cabover in my 25r is a storage area, so u can have my ladder...lol
Stavman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 06:19 PM   #12

that's a good question!!!!!!! you have to have a ladder. like most people, at an older age the ladder could be dangerous. i used it once to take off the plastic covering the cushion. like one person said, harder coming down than going up.
anf76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 10:22 AM   #13

Thank you all for your input. Dealer confirmed that the Redhawk SE does not include an over the cab ladder. I contacted Jayco customer service. They told me that it is an option on the Redhawk. He said that there is a ladder available, and that I need to contact the Dealer’s Parts Dept. They are the only people that can order this ladder. The parts dept. confirmed that they could order one, but, it would take a long time for delivery. I've opted to have the dealer install a similar ladder which is said will work for the 22C.
ImaCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 10:50 AM   #14

Quote:
Thank you all for your input. Dealer confirmed that the Redhawk SE does not include an over the cab ladder. I contacted Jayco customer service. They told me that it is an option on the Redhawk. He said that there is a ladder available, and that I need to contact the Dealer’s Parts Dept. They are the only people that can order this ladder. The parts dept. confirmed that they could order one, but, it would take a long time for delivery. I've opted to have the dealer install a similar ladder which is said will work for the 22C.
Good call. No need to order one from Jayco at an inflated price and VERY extended delivery time.

An even better solution might be to just order one from Amazon. Take a measurement to see about what length you'll need. Fast delivery and good prices (most of the time).

I can tell you as others have said, the one that comes from Jayco is not optimal (our Greyhawk came with one). The rungs are VERY far apart, and they're tough on all but little kids' feet. And even my 6YO son complains about it sometimes. But then he can just scramble up the arm of the couch, put a foot on the driver's head-rest and climb up there pretty easily, so when the slide is in, we don't even bother with the ladder most of the time... Watching my fat arse climb up there is quite the show, however...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 06:04 PM   #15

We just bought 2021 redhawk with same issue no ladder we bought a step stool and works good
Chuckmaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 07:29 AM   #16

Its one of the items Jayco cuts on Redhawks. You’ll notice you likely do not have a privacy curtain up there either.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 08:06 AM   #17

Exactly trying to figure out how to mount one .. any ideas on a curtain up there?
Chuckmaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 07:27 PM   #18

We just bought a small folding step stool. It works great and stores easily and out of the way at the end of the sofa.
MickUpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 12:57 PM   #19

I have a Greyhawk...I took the ladder out...it just gets in the way. Not sure the redhawk layout...we have a couch on one side that you can step on and get into bunk....we have only had guests a couple times up there and no ladder was needed. If you were coming through Reno, NV I would trade you the ladder for a case of beer....
Jab55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 01:04 PM   #20

Overhead bumk

Our greyhawk came with a ladder, but in 12 years, grandkids have yet to use it. They climb on the dinette, up on the back of the seat and onto the bunk. They get down in reverse. The only one that has ever used it is me, when I’m changing the sheets😃😃🤪
Retired mountain folk is offline   Reply With Quote