Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-07-2020, 11:10 AM   #1

No power

This morning the whole 120V system stopped working. I checked the breakers and nothing was tripped. The surge protector at the power post showed good lights. I unplugged from shore power and started the generator and everything came on. I checked the entire length of the power cable and found no breaks in the sheathing. What else could it be but a bad cord? What else can I try before taking it to someone?
Techwoman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 11:14 AM   #2
Site Team

What type rv? Do you have a alternate way to get power from pedestal to rv?

Start with the obvious. Do you have access to a voltmeter?
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 11:39 AM   #3

It's a 2008 Melbourne 26A. I don't have a meter or another cord. The power cord is hard wired at the storage compartment.
Old 01-07-2020, 11:49 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techwoman57 View Post
It's a 2008 Melbourne 26A. I don't have a meter or another cord. The power cord is hard wired at the storage compartment.
Could be the transfer switch.
Old 01-07-2020, 12:09 PM   #5

Since everything works off the generator you can eliminate everything from the circuit breaker panel on down.

The 120 electrical system basically is split in half with the generator on one leg and the shore power on the other. These 2 feeds come together in what is called a transfer switch whose purpose is to automatically switch from one leg to the other.

When the generator comes on the transfer switch automatically disconnects the shore power leg and connects the generator leg to the breaker panel where it is then distributed to all 120 volt items.

OK, with this basic understanding of how it is suppose to work, the problem is somewhat isolated. If you are comfortable using a voltmeter, the problem can easily be found. But you must know that you have to be careful when poking around live 120 volt circuits. It can be a heck of a jolt if you accidentally touch the wrong thing with a body part. As long as you are careful it should not be a problem.

The problem source would most likely be in one of the following:

1. Transfer switch - bad switch or loose wire connection. Simply open the box up and measure the 120 volts coming in. If it is there then the power cord and surge protector are good.

2. Surge protector - just because the lights are on doesn't guarantee voltage is getting through it.

3. Power cord - doubtful since you said you had normal lights on the surge protector.

All of this info is based on 30 amp service. If you have 50 amp service your rig is being fed 240 volts which is more dangerous to poke around. The troubleshooting process is the same though.

Start at the transfer switch. If you unplug your rig and leave the generator off you can open up the switch and make sure all connections are tight. This would be the first thing to try and doesn't require a test meter and is also completely safe as long as the power is not connected.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 01:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
2. Surge protector - just because the lights are on doesn't guarantee voltage is getting through it.

3. Power cord - doubtful since you said you had normal lights on the surge protector.
Depends on the order of the surge and cord. If he has surge plugged into the pedestal, it could be either the cord or the surge.

If the cord is plugged into the pedestal and then the surge into the cord, it would seem the cord is okay.
Old 01-07-2020, 02:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Could be the transfer switch.

X2.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 05:06 PM   #8

Sounds like the line side from the pedestal. Check connections at the transfer switch for 110 when your hooked up to shore power. Could be the relays in the transfer switch.
Jeffur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 05:57 AM   #9

Where do I find the transfer switch?
Old 01-08-2020, 06:06 AM   #10

Contact Jayco or follow the wire to the box. This box will also make a clunking sound when / as the solenoid contacts engage - usually heard just after starting the generator..
Jeffur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 06:57 AM   #11

Quote:
Where do I find the transfer switch?
Should be pretty close to your breaker panel. Does one of your wardrobe cabinets have a louvered front near the floor? If so it's probably there. If you have drawers under the TV or wardrobe pull those.
Old 01-08-2020, 07:36 AM   #12

Thanks for all the good advice. After finding the transfer switch under a panel under the bed, I found one of the wires melted! No shore power for me until I can get it fixed.
Old 01-08-2020, 09:47 AM   #13

Quote:
Thanks for all the good advice. After finding the transfer switch under a panel under the bed, I found one of the wires melted! No shore power for me until I can get it fixed.
Is it an IOTA? Are you the original owner? 08 was the year of the voluntary recall on IOTA switches. If you bought it used obviously the original owner ignored it. IOTA actually quit making transfer switches about the same time.

Here's a thread where the owner had the reverse issue (good on shore, but no geny power).

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...-no-72920.html
Old 01-09-2020, 05:45 AM   #14

It WAS the transfer switch. I found an awesome rv shop in the next city and they replaced it and got me back on the road in less than two hours. Thanks again. -Kelly
Old 01-09-2020, 07:44 AM   #15

Grumpy and I were right!
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 08:21 AM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
Grumpy and I were right!
Take a victory lap! We were all trying to help also!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 01:57 PM   #17

You must share this “Awesome” RV shop!? Because they are a rarity!
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 02:13 PM   #18

Had similar problem.Batteries dieing no indication.It was a defective disconnect switch.
My
Bakerron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 02:14 PM   #19

Disconnect switch.
Bakerron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 02:20 PM   #20

I ran into the same problem

My brand new 319MLOK with a residential refrigerator did the same thing last summer on my first trip out of state. I had a loose wire on my inverter, what my dealer told me to do was to turn off my inverter and leave it off the entire time. Which actually was a good work around. Start your tow vehicle and plug your RV into it with shore power connected, the batteries from your tow vehicle will introduce good 12v DC power to your electrical system and your rig will reconnect to shore power. We left our inverter off (had to turn it off in 2 locations), which will cause your refrigerator to defrost while you’re on the road. We eventually got brave and turned on our inverter while on the road, which didn’t cause a problem. But turn off your inverter and good luck
gbwill0 is offline   Reply With Quote