Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-31-2021, 03:29 AM   #1

no power

My 2019 Redhawk suddenly has no power ( from in-house battery) but panel shows battery is 3/4 full. One fuse ( branch circuits) was tripped and I reset it - still nothing .Strangely, the large switch ( for in-house battery) is on, glowing red, and I can't turn it off! Any ideas?
Steb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 05:12 AM   #2

Large Switch glowing Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steb View Post
My 2019 Redhawk suddenly has no power ( from in-house battery) but panel shows battery is 3/4 full. One fuse ( branch circuits) was tripped and I reset it - still nothing .Strangely, the large switch ( for in-house battery) is on, glowing red, and I can't turn it off! Any ideas?
Hi Steb. I do not have an answer for why your coach lost power but I can help with your red light question. The two issues might be related.

The "Large Switch glowing Red" is the switch for the Battery Disconnect Relay. Pushing this switch will either open or close the relay, alternately completing or opening the connection between the house battery and the house circuitry. When it glows red, the relay is connected and the house gets power.

It is important to remember that this switch should never be pushed for more than a second or two, or the relay will become overheated and fail.

If you are not able to get the light to go out, then the connection between the switch and the relay may be broken from a loose wire; or the relay could have overheated and become stuck in the connected position. There are two blade type fuses mounted on the relay itself, check these and replacing a blown fuse could fix the red light issue.

The relay on my Greyhawk is mounted near the house battery tray, under the RV, on the frame rail. Searching the forum here should uncover numerous threads on how to diagnose and repair the Relay.
Old 10-31-2021, 07:36 PM   #3

1st question is what happens when you plug in? Do all 12 volt items now work? When plugged in your converter would be able to power everything even if your battery was removed. 12 volt items include: lighting, furnace, slides, awning, water pump to name a few.

It is strange that the panel shows a battery reading. This would mean that the panel is indeed receiving power and should be able to activate things that are controlled from that panel.

You may have to get a voltmeter and take some measurements here and there to see where it is being lost. Typically the battery will be routed to the fuse panel with a fuse or circuit breaker inline. Plus there will be the battery disconnect relay which is controlled by that glowing switch. The light on that switch is connected to the output side of the disconnect relay which means the power is getting through the relay.

I have attached some documents that tell how some things work and can be troubleshot. Hopefully something in there will help.
Attached Thumbnails
Voltmeter.JPG  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Quick Multimeter Instructions (ver 1).pdf (376.3 KB, 1 views)
File Type: pdf RV Electrical Troubleshooting (ver 2).pdf (2.01 MB, 3 views)

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote