Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-22-2021, 07:37 PM   #1

No power to an outlet.

I have a 2005 Jayco Greyhawk 24 SS. The cubby hole where a TV would go has an outlet. The outlet has the hot and neutral wires, and an extra red and white wires going to the plug. I have now power going to the plug. I have looked at the breakers and they look and feel new. Any ideas?

Thanks!
haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 07:44 PM   #2

Did you turn them off and on to reset? Do you have an INVERTER?
Old 02-22-2021, 07:49 PM   #3

I did turn them on and off. It does have an inverter. Looking like all the other outlets are working.
Old 02-22-2021, 07:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by haak View Post
I did turn them on and off. It does have an inverter. Looking like all the other outlets are working.
The TV circuit is on the inverter so depending on how they wired the rigs that year it may have it's own transfer switch or a built in transfer switch. That's were I would start.
Old 02-22-2021, 08:10 PM   #5

Make sure the ignition key is turned off as that plug has a relay in it to turn itself off when the ignition key is on. ~CA
Old 02-22-2021, 08:18 PM   #6

Where would I look for this transfer switch? This would be another form of a breaker or a switch that has burned up?

Thanks.
Old 02-22-2021, 08:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Where would I look for this transfer switch? This would be another form of a breaker or a switch that has burned up?
It would be a small box behind your circuit breaker panel and that's where the INVERTER probably is too. I just looked at your floor plan and my "GUESS" would be under the kitchen cabinets.
Old 02-22-2021, 08:52 PM   #8

Thanks for your help. The inverter is just just behind and to the left of the breakers. Tomorrow I will look for this box. If I find it, I will get back to you on how to fix the problem. I could take it to Selah Trailer in Selah WA, but I always try to fix something if it isn't too complicated.
Old 02-22-2021, 10:10 PM   #9

yep, the red and white wires are for an interlock to prevent the TV from working while the motor is running so the driver can note distracted.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 10:02 AM   #10

Hi Haak, Keep in mind that having no power going to the plug is not the same as having no power at the plug's outlets. As mentioned earlier and by Cavie above, there is a relay (interlock) in that plug to keep the power off when it senses (believes) that the motor is running (more correctly if the ignition key is on). If you know how and if you have a voltage meter, I would check the main power line coming into the receptacle box to see if there is power in the box that the plug resides in. You can search for JIMD regarding how to use a voltage meter if you are not familiar, he has written two excellent tech articles on the subject, one for the meter usage and the other for basic electrical troubleshooting. ~CA

Also, be very careful if you are not familiar with testing the voltage, 120 volts is plenty enough to cause you great harm if you get shocked.
Old 02-23-2021, 11:02 AM   #11

Last fall my son in-law plugged a electric heater in that plug and it stopped working :-)

Yesterday, I took the plug out of the box and used the dummy tester that has a beep if it detects power.

Today I will poke around some more thanks to this forum! Nice sunny warm day here in Yakima. Good day to tinker. Thanks for your help.
Old 02-23-2021, 11:32 AM   #12

Quote:
Last fall my son in-law plugged a electric heater in that plug and it stopped working :-)

Yesterday, I took the plug out of the box and used the dummy tester that has a beep if it detects power.

Today I will poke around some more thanks to this forum! Nice sunny warm day here in Yakima. Good day to tinker. Thanks for your help.
It's probably at the INVERTER since it is only good for 400 watts. .
Old 02-23-2021, 12:32 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
Hi Haak, Keep in mind that having no power going to the plug is not the same as having no power at the plug's outlets. As mentioned earlier and by Cavie above, there is a relay (interlock) in that plug to keep the power off when it senses (believes) that the motor is running (more correctly if the ignition key is on). If you know how and if you have a voltage meter, I would check the main power line coming into the receptacle box to see if there is power in the box that the plug resides in. You can search for JIMD regarding how to use a voltage meter if you are not familiar, he has written two excellent tech articles on the subject, one for the meter usage and the other for basic electrical troubleshooting. ~CA

Also, be very careful if you are not familiar with testing the voltage, 120 volts is plenty enough to cause you great harm if you get shocked.
Thanks for the plug! I have attached the troubleshooting info.
Attached Thumbnails
Voltmeter.JPG  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RV Electrical Troubleshooting (ver 2).pdf (2.01 MB, 23 views)
File Type: pdf Quick Multimeter Instructions (ver 1).pdf (376.3 KB, 7 views)

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 01:33 PM   #14

Big thanks !! You were right. Took the drawer out to look at the inverter. There was a on/off switch, and another switch that said amp next to it. I shut them both on and off a couple of times, plugged the motorhome in... and BINGO my plug is working for the TV and DVD player. I love this forum.

Next, I am going to remove the dinette, and put a couple recliners in its place.
Old 02-23-2021, 01:35 PM   #15

Thanks! Found the issue thanks to this forum. The inverter had a breaker that had tripped.
Old 03-06-2021, 03:35 PM   #16

Make sure GFI plug in bathroom is not tripped. Had my trip and took out 3 other plugs.
steinborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 04:31 PM   #17

It could be a ground fault issue. Reset all your ground fault outlets on your trailer.
David Sinclair is offline   Reply With Quote