Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-20-2021, 08:46 PM   #21

I wudda reminded dealer that YOU have the right to refuse to pickup unit UNTIL they provide a spare tire that was stolen while RIG was still ON their property and you want no BS or you know HOW to reach Police and News Crews and Internet websites and spread MUD? They MUST prove otherwise, or YOU CAN start YOUR tirade? Hmmmm? (Off MY soapbox, LOL)
thenne1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 05:48 AM   #22

I also bought the Roadmaster hitch tire carrier. I had two concerns: Obscuring the license plate and bottoming out. I bought an elevated hitch (it elevates about 4" above the receiver) and it solved both problems. The way it works is to put the short shank elevated hitch in the receiver and put the Roadmaster in elevated hitch. I had a bad bottoming out problem before using the elevated hitch.
Daniel208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 03:52 PM   #23

I made a swivel adapter for my hitch so I can access the big storage door on the rear under the slide out. Was a challenge to make it swing enough to open the door. I only have about an inch clearance on top and bottom.
The license plate bracket came as standard fastened to the left stop light so that fixed that problem. Haven’t figured out how to add pictures yet.
Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 08:40 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel View Post
I made a swivel adapter for my hitch so I can access the big storage door on the rear under the slide out. Was a challenge to make it swing enough to open the door. I only have about an inch clearance on top and bottom.
The license plate bracket came as standard fastened to the left stop light so that fixed that problem. Haven’t figured out how to add pictures yet.
I had same issue on my rig. If I did a hitch tire carrier I could not open my rear compartment, that’s why I did a bumper mount. It just happened that the one place it fit was perfectly placed to access my compartment, and not block my rear license plate. I really lucked out. And it looks like it belongs there.
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 09:42 AM   #25

That looks like a nice mount, can I ask what brand that is and where you purchased it?
72buickgsconv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 09:59 AM   #26

Just don't forget, that if you mount a spare outside to get a light color cover so you are not baking the life out of your spare. I did a post on my RVTiresafety blog showing the temperatures and explaining why white covers are good.
Old 11-12-2021, 11:35 AM   #27

As others have said, carrying a spare tire is a personal decision that is often based on the experience of each individual. My MH didn't come with a spare and I haven't added one. If/when I get a flat, I'll wait for tire service to repair or sell me a new one. The upcharge ($250 or so) seems like a small risk to me for the hassle of mounting and carrying a spare. And I'm not changing a tire regardless! My toad (Mini Cooper) also came without a spare (runflat tires) so I'll be waiting on tire service for it, too. YMMV.
Old 11-12-2021, 10:03 PM   #28

Where did you find that Mount, it looks very strong! The one on the bumper!!!!
Old 11-12-2021, 10:50 PM   #29

My maiden voyage in (then 17yo rig w. 2yo tires), I added air (and had trouble adding) to a front tire in first 200 miles, then stopped at relatives for an hour= FLAT, six hour wait for truck to come 100-miles in small town, Holiday weekend found spare was 12yo, son found me a pair of tires 200-miles ahead at a WM, but I had to buy tools (incl. jack/ TORQUE WRENCH) and do the labor, as short door bays and they were not allowed to work outside their bays.(= NO RVs). Later read book about wheel chocks on opposing wheel if lifting back, because parking brake on driveshaft.
Old 11-13-2021, 09:06 AM   #30

I got the 6yr tire warranty, good piece of mind
Stavman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 11:51 PM   #31

Unless/ until stuck at rush hour in a narrow area roadside and every passing car/ truck makes you pucker/ cringe and sway, and you want OUT of there?
Old 11-15-2021, 12:40 PM   #32

I’ve heard that Ford changed the rim design when the went to the 7.3 motor E-450 and the older v-10 rims will no longer fit on the front of the newer rigs but they will fit on the rear. Anyone else have any experience with this?
ActionJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 03:29 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stavman View Post
I got the 6yr tire warranty, good piece of mind
6 year warranty is nice, but that does not guarantee you won’t get a flat.
Old 11-15-2021, 03:35 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16WhiteColly View Post
6 year warranty is nice, but that does not guarantee you won’t get a flat.
That's impossible to know

But I won't be stranded forever if I do...lol
Stavman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 04:35 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionJackson View Post
I’ve heard that Ford changed the rim design when the went to the 7.3 motor E-450 and the older v-10 rims will no longer fit on the front of the newer rigs but they will fit on the rear. Anyone else have any experience with this?
I suspect wrong, but do not know. I do know MANY have been confused for years by the deep recessed rim rotation to fit front vs outer rear, and mistakenly thought they were different rims?
Old 11-15-2021, 05:39 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionJackson View Post
I do not know if the most recent model years have the condition you described, but my V-10 2014 31FS has the following issue:

The E350/E450 Fords manufactured for use as an RV /Cutaway have a larger caliper/rotor on the front axle than the brakes used on other E series vans. This requires a rim which has a larger interior 'dome' space, thus a special rim is needed. The rear axle of a RV/cutaway will accept both the smaller and the larger rims, but the more common rim made to the correct wheel size will rub on an RV's front axle brake assembly. The interference is bad enough that the wheel won't turn.

So when purchasing a rim as a spare for the front axle be certain it is spec'ed to fit a E450 Cutaway chassis.
Old 11-15-2021, 10:55 PM   #37

This was the part number stamped on my current rim. I bought a spare rim and tire off some guy off Craigslist locally with the same part number and tire model. He manages fleets of FedEx ground trucks that use the same rims. Maybe some Uhaul moving vans use the same rims?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rim-Part.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	77143
Click image for larger version

Name:	00L0L_9qrA5weeuVfz_0aT0ew_1200x900.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	77144
jyh818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 06:58 AM   #38

I drive a 2017 Redhawk and when purchased I told the dealer unless a spare tire was added we had no deal. A spare was added and after taking the RV home I purchased a mount for it. I for one would never leave home without a spare. Some years back we were on the road and had a flat on 5th wheel trailer and tire was cut badly on something in the road and therefore had to be replaced. The roadside service installed the spare and I wanted to add a new spare at that time. The cost would have been with the installation some $500 and we were nearly 1000 miles from home. The bottom line is if there is a problem and you are not near home you are at the mercy of any and every rip-off artist looking to make money on a bad situation.
xmtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 08:05 AM   #39

Agreed, I just purchased a used 16" rim for my 2017 Mercedes Sprinter Melbourne 24L on ebay for 50.00, when the dealer installed 6 new Continentals for me at purchase I took 1 tire home. I got a mount and 29" cover from e-trailer for a total of $155.00 in it and piece of mind is well worth that, even if I have someone else changes it on the road!
Old 11-17-2021, 09:25 AM   #40

thanks so much. I was about to purchase a rim from Walmart. carry a tire only but thought about a rim. A price from ford is anywhere from $450 to $525 per rim, thats nuts. have been using our class c for 3 yrs with spare tire only and no issues...
cherv is offline   Reply With Quote