Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-08-2021, 06:05 AM   #1

No Spare tire

We are in process of making our new 202 Sprinter chassis Qwest 24 R ours with some modifications. however, the one thing that has been bothering me is that this motor home came with no spare. this seems very wrong to me. Has anybody added a spare tire to this motor home? Not much of a gambler here so my tendency is to add a spare. I have found a hitch mounted spare tire carrier. Looked at adding a carrier under the MH but the black tank and grey tank are already using that space.
The hitch mounted tire carrier will block the license plate so will need to relocate that also. Anybody have any other ideas?
JerryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 06:34 AM   #2

I just had mine inspected and it passed fine, but I get some states are strict. It may look like the plate is blocked, but from 10 or so feet back you can see it enough to make everything out. If I must move it I will attach to the bike carrier that is going into the tire carrier.
Attached Thumbnails
7B4219C3-6E6D-459F-A66D-311F82876616.jpg  
Old 03-08-2021, 07:21 AM   #3

I had the missing spare tire issue when I picked up my 24L and asked the dealer about it. I told them it was in the promotion flier but not in the unit. They didn't know why but said Jayco has the right to eliminate things when they want to. Pretty poor business.
PAL70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 09:52 PM   #4

My 2020 Entegra Odyssey 30Z also did not come with a spare tire. All the tires are the same size so I was told that when I call a road tire service company they will probably change the tire on the spot (assuming it can't be repaired). The other option would be to take one of the rear tires (assuming the front tire needs replacing) and put it on the front until you can drive to a tire center. I too feel a little uncomfortable not having a spare but I have the tire insurance and also a tire pressure monitoring system which I would recommend everyone have.
Joey55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 12:43 PM   #5

I was rather upset too about no spare or Jack on our 2021 rig. Asked the service tech about it and he said the front and rear wheels are different. Ford 450’s use the same wheel front or rear!! I went to Discount tire and bought a rim and tire and to harbor freight for a jack. I had a flat a while back in my driveway and was glad I had the Jack and spare. I built a rack on the back to hold the tire. It swings out of the way so I can access the storage door.
Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 12:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel View Post
I was rather upset too about no spare or Jack
It's been a long time since they have provided a jack and/or spare, our 2001 E-450 DESIGNER didn't come with a jack due to the weight and type of jack needed. As to a spare that was even hit and miss over the years with more miss than hit.
Old 03-12-2021, 01:18 PM   #7

The dealer just told me to call a tire repair place. That’s fine but what do you do if you have a flat where’s there’s no cell phone service?
Old 03-12-2021, 05:55 PM   #8

Talking

I would much rather spend the money on a tire and wheel, and carry the extra weight, than to face the wrath of a PO’d wife whom I made waste a bunch of time asking me why i was so cheap so as not to buy that spare...
Old 03-12-2021, 06:03 PM   #9

I think our tire and wheel was around $400. Not bad if you’re stuck out someplace with a flat.
Old 03-15-2021, 04:28 PM   #10

I just carry a new bare tire no wheel and fits under bed . I wrapped it up with shrink plastic wrap. That way it will not rub black marks on any thing. And when Road Service comes out to me they can not try to sell me a New Tire. Tell them Suprise !!!! I have a new tire to use and Do Not need your $500 tire. (2018 Greyhawk 31fs)
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 04:47 PM   #11

I understand your frustrations. I do not have a MH. Adding a spare would be my first mod.

There are lots of license plate relocation kits out there. I would start off by looking at options for Jeeps. Then look at sites specializing in 4-wheeling.

I have seen some really nice custom brackets for sports cars (front bumpers) that could be setup for the back of a MH.

Let us know what you end up with.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 08:51 PM   #12

It's not just a proper sized jack and spare - you're in for a breaker bar. The lug nuts are torqued to something like 150 ft.lbs.

This is a very hot topic that's been discussed a lot. So many people won't leave their driveway without a spare. That's understandable.

A few of us are in the other camp - a cell phone and a 12 pack of beer. Call the tire guys, crack open a beer - repeat until new tire installed or you no longer care.
Old 03-17-2021, 12:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
It's not just a proper sized jack and spare - you're in for a breaker bar. The lug nuts are torqued to something like 150 ft.lbs.

This is a very hot topic that's been discussed a lot. So many people won't leave their driveway without a spare. That's understandable.

A few of us are in the other camp - a cell phone and a 12 pack of beer. Call the tire guys, crack open a beer - repeat until new tire installed or you no longer care.

I think that's getting added into my SOP for this situation!

And hope you're parked in a spot you can stay a while to sleep it off when the road-side tech is done! LOL!!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 07:03 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryP View Post
We are in process of making our new 202 Sprinter chassis Qwest 24 R ours with some modifications. however, the one thing that has been bothering me is that this motor home came with no spare. this seems very wrong to me. Has anybody added a spare tire to this motor home? Not much of a gambler here so my tendency is to add a spare. I have found a hitch mounted spare tire carrier. Looked at adding a carrier under the MH but the black tank and grey tank are already using that space.
The hitch mounted tire carrier will block the license plate so will need to relocate that also. Anybody have any other ideas?
I felt the same way regarding spare especially after getting a flat on our first trip in our 2019 Melbourne. I purchased the road master spare tire mount and purchased a spare rim and tire on internet. Works well happy to report I haven’t had to use it ...
Metsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 07:14 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan View Post
I felt the same way regarding spare especially after getting a flat on our first trip in our 2019 Melbourne. I purchased the road master spare tire mount and purchased a spare rim and tire on internet. Works well happy to report I haven’t had to use it ...
I purchased spare steel rim at HH auto and wheel and the road master spare tire hitch at bend trailers
Metsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 12:24 PM   #16

Most MH already have receiver for hitch so adding a spare carrier there should be relatively easy.

One way to cut cost is to put one of your old tires under a cover as a spare.
Used wheel from junk yard should also cut the cost.

Re Tire cover. I would consider a WHITE cover a necessity unless you want to bake the life out of the spare mounted outside the RV.

RE jack & tools. Be sure you know what you are doing and have all the tools you might need including flat board & steel plate if you need to jack on soft ground. Will you be able to physically lift the tire and mount it on the RV? You will need correct 6 point socket and a 2' "breaker bar" and if you have a MF with dual tires in the rear an extension. You should practice at home so you know how much effort is needed.
Even if you can't do the physical job having a spare will probably pay for itself as any road service should be able to change the tire so you are not confronted with having to buy a mismatched new tire @ $2x the normal sale price.
Old 03-20-2021, 12:25 PM   #17

Don’t do an under mount spare, chances are you’ll never check it and it will get pretty grimy, rusty and sometimes they are not easily removed. After owning 3 motor homes with no spare, and having a blowout on my tow Dolly, (which I had a spare for), I did a semi custom, bumper mounted spare on my class C rear bumper. I had custom welding done to the reinforce the bumper and added extra carrier brackets for more support.

Your setup might require some different engineering and craftsmanship then I had to do, but I think a rear mounted spare is best, for me anyway.
Attached Thumbnails
6CA647A9-82D7-432F-AD47-A16476B7B62B.jpeg  
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 01:51 PM   #18
TWX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Most MH already have receiver for hitch so adding a spare carrier there should be relatively easy.

One way to cut cost is to put one of your old tires under a cover as a spare.
Used wheel from junk yard should also cut the cost.

Re Tire cover. I would consider a WHITE cover a necessity unless you want to bake the life out of the spare mounted outside the RV.

RE jack & tools. Be sure you know what you are doing and have all the tools you might need including flat board & steel plate if you need to jack on soft ground. Will you be able to physically lift the tire and mount it on the RV? You will need correct 6 point socket and a 2' "breaker bar" and if you have a MF with dual tires in the rear an extension. You should practice at home so you know how much effort is needed.
Even if you can't do the physical job having a spare will probably pay for itself as any road service should be able to change the tire so you are not confronted with having to buy a mismatched new tire @ $2x the normal sale price.

I had found that "wrapped pipe", which is black pipe with a paint coating on it (I think green paint at Home Depot) of a particular size can be mildly squashed at one end to fit over an older Craftsman raised-panel 1/2" ratchet, the coarse-tooth ratchets that they sourced for the better part of 50 years. Irrespective of RVing I'd made such a cheater-bar extension for one of my ratchets for my field/junkyarding kit, so I could get the leverage I needed without having to pack even more tools in. I think it was the 3/4" trade size pipe that fit over the ratchet handle but don't quote me on that.

The nice thing about "wrapped pipe" is no rust and no risk of galvanizing coating getting airborne and posing a health hazard when cutting and shaping it. It also wouldn't surprise me if 3/4" rigid conduit would work too, but that stuff is a little more flexible since up through around an inch and a half it can be bent with handtools, so there's an upper limit on how much it it'll work as a cheater bar.
Old 03-20-2021, 01:58 PM   #19

I think just by having a spare tire and rim will be a big help, weather you change it yourself or not. I carry plenty of MacGyver stuff, including an extra serpentine fan belt, pex plumbing fittings, hose clamps etc..,etc.., (my list is too long). I hate getting stuck and relying on obtaining parts! It’s helped me and others in the past!
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 02:25 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAL70 View Post
I had the missing spare tire issue when I picked up my 24L and asked the dealer about it. I told them it was in the promotion flier but not in the unit. They didn't know why but said Jayco has the right to eliminate things when they want to. Pretty poor business.
Yeah. Same with the galvanized wheel wells on the Jayco 2017 16XRB model we inspected at the Jayco factory. They were a big advertising selling point. Ordered it and six weeks later or so got the first Thor 16XRB - with plastic, not steel, wheel wells. Response to my much-warranted complaint letter: we can do whatever we want whenever we want so there! Go eat dirt, stop complaining and take whatever crap we give you. We have since made the trailer into what a decent manufacturer would have produced in the first place. And Endurance 215/14 tires and professionally installed 4,200# suspension has given us a lot more confidence over the past 40,000+ miles we've put on it. And despite what we got from Thorjayco we really like our customized now high-quality trailer.
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote