Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-03-2019, 09:52 PM   #1

No Toad!

What do you do if you don't want a toad, or not yet gotten a toad? We're new in our Greyhawk and starting to explore! After so many years with a truck and bumper pull, we're moving on to something new! We'll get to a toad some day, but for now want to explore just us and the Greyhawk. We're not striking out to remote state parks right yet - still in areas in the mid-Atlantic - Lancaster, PA, Luray, VA, ....etc.

Options we've considered
Lyft or Uber when we get to where we're going and want to go see a landmark / museum / shopping. I worry about getting somewhere and then not finding a driver to take us home later! (I travel all the time for work so am very familiar with Uber - but that's in big metropolitan areas - not where campgrounds are typically located)

Rental car - Dollar or Enterprise rental from a local office - none of these options appear to be inexpensive.

We welcome your thoughts / opinions
Ripwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 10:31 PM   #2

One thing that blows my mind is that it is cheaper to rent a car for a week then it is to rent a golf car at the campground. You can always find a coupon code or a AAA discount for a rental car but golf carts seem to always be $50 plus per day. I do prefer to flat tow our car because it does not eat away at the motorhomes ccc and I can throw all the heavy stuff in the car.

One other experience we had in OBX was we did not have a car but had to leave the campground because a water pipe broke on the camper. So we left our beach stuff at the campground while we went out to the local hardware store with the motorhome we also notified the front office we were coming right back and when we came back our beach chairs were gone.
Greyhawk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 04:49 AM   #3

We do not have a toad, use enterprise and they are great. Pick you up at cg and will drive you back after you turn the car back.. New toad $20,000+ plus connections. Can rent from enterprise for a long time on $20,000 and no car ins/maintenance/another vehicle in driveway. Our unit is 2019 redhawk 22j,easy to go anywhere if needed.
cherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 04:51 AM   #4

We cable lock our grill and chirs when we leave
cherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 05:18 AM   #5

I read a similar link on the FMCA web site some years ago, and the concensus was (at that time) car rental. You can experience everything from a sub-compact to a sports car to a SUV to a 4x4 depending on your particular needs and location.
jd99336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 05:20 AM   #6
Site Team

We have had good experience with Enterprise. We often don't want to navigate our crew cab long bed PSD and a rental is an inexpensive alternative.

Go crazy and rent a jeep.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 05:28 AM   #7

Renting and Uber sound great when you are in or near a town that has either. Many of the places we go to have neither within a reasonable distance, so we would be trapped.

We bought a Jeep Wrangler as my fun car that doubles as a toad. Unless we are going for weekend where we know we are staying in the campground the entire time, we bring the Jeep. I hate getting trapped.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 07:59 AM   #8

we tried the rental thing, and uber, we were just outside to there mile radius by 1/2 mile, and uber was not near enough for someone to come out and get us, so we bought a toad the next time we were home
Old 07-04-2019, 08:44 AM   #9

As a stopgap between a toad or rental battery assist bikes are great.

Newer models use lithium batteries that can operate like a motorcycle ( no pedaling) for several miles. Not highway speeds, not for lots of groceries, not for long distances, just something in the middle.

ALWAYS wear a helmet!
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 08:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripwild View Post
What do you do if you don't want a toad, or not yet gotten a toad? We're new in our Greyhawk and starting to explore! After so many years with a truck and bumper pull, we're moving on to something new! We'll get to a toad some day, but for now want to explore just us and the Greyhawk. We're not striking out to remote state parks right yet - still in areas in the mid-Atlantic - Lancaster, PA, Luray, VA, ....etc.

Options we've considered
Lyft or Uber when we get to where we're going and want to go see a landmark / museum / shopping. I worry about getting somewhere and then not finding a driver to take us home later! (I travel all the time for work so am very familiar with Uber - but that's in big metropolitan areas - not where campgrounds are typically located)

Rental car - Dollar or Enterprise rental from a local office - none of these options appear to be inexpensive.

We welcome your thoughts / opinions
I fully understand your thoughts on whether to tow or not to tow. We have had our class C for over a year now. We have been to both coast and all the way to the bottom of the Florida Keys. We have discussed possibly purchasing a couple of scooters or motorized bikes. These are ones that you can peddle or not. Or use the motor as a peddle assist. They advertise to get from 20 to 40 miles on a charge. Plus the fold up to fit inside the motor home or we may install a platform on the back to carry them.

1SG Pete
1SGPETE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 11:57 AM   #11

Electric bike.. Check out Rad..

https://www.radpowerbikes.com/
bababooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 01:54 PM   #12

We used Uber when we went to Myrtal Beach.
Rented a car in San Diego which was a hastle because we picked it up on Friday and had to have it back by noon Saturday because they closed Sat at noon and all day Sunday.
In Kentucky same situation....but car rental closed for the whole weekend. We took the RV and parked it in the museum parking lot. Ran the generator for the AC to keep the dog cool.
Nashville KOA had a shuttle.
KOA in San Antonio had a bus stop out front. Same with Campground in Williamsburg.

...we spend yesterday looking at flat-towable SUV's
Old 07-13-2019, 03:34 PM   #13

Electric bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by bababooey View Post

I have been on line with Rad. They are looking into the possibility of building a step through folding bike. Right now, the folding option only comes with the Mini Bikes. WE may just go with those.

1SG Pete
Old 07-13-2019, 03:36 PM   #14

Since I am 76, I have a bit of a problem renting a car. They cut you off at 70. But, I can ride a bike.
Old 07-13-2019, 07:36 PM   #15

Having just got back from our first real long trip, not having a toad really impacted us at a few locations... So much so I'm now shopping for used Jeeps...

Jeff
jeffro01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 07:39 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bababooey View Post

X2 on the Rads! We got 2 minis and its nothing for us to ride 20-30 miles on them, plus this fold up for storage/hauling.

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 07:44 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SGPETE View Post
I have been on line with Rad. They are looking into the possibility of building a step through folding bike. Right now, the folding option only comes with the Mini Bikes. WE may just go with those.

1SG Pete

We have 2 minis and they are great....unless you are going to be doing extreme offroad stuff the Mini works just great, even on the dirt and gravel trails. Fun on the beach
Attached Thumbnails
64638294_2262700830711145_1207298938785234944_n.jpg  

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 05:46 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SGPETE View Post

1SG Pete
We got our two Rads last month...one mini and one mini step-thru. I'm 5'7" and my husband is 6'4" and they are fine for us - don't let the word "mini" fool you. They're fine for us, and we love riding them!
mt1314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 05:50 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt1314 View Post
We got our two Rads last month...one mini and one mini step-thru. I'm 5'7" and my husband is 6'4" and they are fine for us - don't let the word "mini" fool you. They're fine for us, and we love riding them!
I should have come straight to this forum to ask about e bikes. WE are sold on the Rad minis. It is nice to hear of so many folks that are using them.
Now if I can just get Sandra to choose a color.

David
Old 07-14-2019, 05:55 AM   #20

We are currently in the Boone NC KOA, way up on the mountain road with no shoulder at all. There is no Uber, Enterprise and often no cell signal.

I’m sure the Rads are great, as is my wife’s Townie E bike, but I could not imagine riding any bike to town on these roads and surviving. Heck I’m scared as trucks and campers swerve in my lane and I’m in a Jeep.

Bikes, ebikes and Rads are for fun, I wouldn’t count on them for transportation if you are going to do any length of time.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote