Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-14-2018, 04:47 PM   #1

Non working inverter

We have a 2017 Seneca,the inverter quit working so I am looking for a good replacement.I have checked for continuity and all is good,for simplicity I want to put a junction box in and wire the AC circuit by passing the inverter,and then replace the inverter and install a dedicated inverter outlet.We do not do boondocking and have a generator if we do.I like simple...am I going over board or is this a reasonable direction....Thanks for looking
Rhoads Lov'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 04:59 PM   #2

2017...sure it's not covered by Jayco? You sure it's dead? Fuses?

Do you use your inverter a lot? In a previous Airstream we used the inverter but with our current MH like you mentioned use the generator.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 05:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetmaker View Post
2017...sure it's not covered by Jayco? You sure it's dead? Fuses?

Do you use your inverter a lot? In a previous Airstream we used the inverter but with our current MH like you mentioned use the generator.
Not sure about coverage from Jayco yet,fuses and circuits good,hot wired around it and tvs and microwave worked perfect,we just got back from 7 weeks on the road and getting ready to go to dealer,I will have them check it along with some other small issues,but if Jayco won't help I'll replace it myself,no sense in paying premium money for such a simple project.Having the tvs and microwave going thru the inverter doesn't make much sense to me.
Old 07-14-2018, 07:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoads Lov'n View Post
Not sure about coverage from Jayco yet,fuses and circuits good,hot wired around it and tvs and microwave worked perfect,we just got back from 7 weeks on the road and getting ready to go to dealer,I will have them check it along with some other small issues,but if Jayco won't help I'll replace it myself,no sense in paying premium money for such a simple project.Having the tvs and microwave going thru the inverter doesn't make much sense to me.
Not sure how yours is wired but most have a plug that is inverter or regular 120v if hooked up. It will only provide inverter power if inverter is turned on.

Some have inverter only dedicated plugs but most newer come with above. If inverter is not selected then power from the generator or outside hookup is routed through the inverter to same plug but it's not using the batteries.

Only if inverter is selected on your control panel will the power be inverter power otherwise items on these plugs will still work but on regular 120v from generator or house.

Hope that makes sense...sometimes I confuse myself.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 04:41 AM   #5
Site Team

Are there any times that you could not run the generator. Would that be a reason to still have the inverter ?
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 05:03 AM   #6

Thanks for the responses...I do understand the circuits and agree with your explanation,normally we stay in full hook up site,and generator will get very little if any use....we could get along with one of those tiny little Honda gensets truth be known and save the weight of the big generator.On the plus side I am very happy with the Frieghtliner chassis....