Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-10-2020, 12:40 PM   #1

Norcold fridge

Hello. Our new 24b rv, the fridge is not cooling. Have it plugged into AC, propane off. The mode is in auto. 3hrs now.. same temp.. help please. Thanks. Dw
dr5chrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 12:48 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr5chrome View Post
Hello. Our new 24b rv, the fridge is not cooling. Have it plugged into AC, propane off. The mode is in auto. 3hrs now.. same temp.. help please. Thanks. Dw
Fridge will take about 24hrs to get cold. Absorbtion fridge/ freezer always take a while.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 01:04 PM   #3

The freezer will get cold first. After 3 hours I can stick my hand in mine and it's very cold, so start there.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 07:11 PM   #4

Check outside, is there heat coming out of the upper vent? If there is than the cool down process has started. As written by TCNashville, in three hours the freezer plate should be getting cold. A little fridge fan and some pre-chilled canned goods will speed the cool down process.

I find that LP is fasted but electric is fine if you have 24 hours or more to wait.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 07:29 PM   #5

I turn our Norcold unit on about three days prior to leaving on a trip (on AC power). That may sound excessive, but over the years we have learned that this is what works best for us. After the initial 24 hours, we start to load items into the freezer and fridge. We try to make sure that everything that goes in the fridge is already cold which helps considerably. Then, by the night before we depart, just about everything is in and chilled and has the last night to stabilize. On departure morning, I switch from AC to propane.

I have a thermometer with a sensor at the end of a very thin 4 foot cable. The sensor hangs from one of the middle shelves and we can check the interior temp without opening the door. On setting 5, the Norcold stays around 38 degrees, but of course there are so many variables (outside temperatures, sitting in sun or shade, propane or shore power, how many times I open the door to get something to eat, etc.).

Love To Travel 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 08:15 PM   #6
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Also make sure the rig is very level. I experienced the fridge not cooling this weekend. I knew when I set up I wasn't totally level, and down in the front, but didn't think it was a big deal..... it was, the fridge wouldn't cool, in either propane or electric, and I watched the temp climb inside.

I heard these fridges were sensitive to being level, and now I experienced it. So, time to order more Lego blocks, and I need to be more vigilant on leveling.

Oh, and as others said above, it takes a really long time for these fridges to finally cool down. I usually turn mine on the day before we leave.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 07:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love To Travel 2 View Post
I turn our Norcold unit on about three days prior to leaving on a trip (on AC power). That may sound excessive, but over the years we have learned that this is what works best for us. After the initial 24 hours, we start to load items into the freezer and fridge. We try to make sure that everything that goes in the fridge is already cold which helps considerably. Then, by the night before we depart, just about everything is in and chilled and has the last night to stabilize. On departure morning, I switch from AC to propane.

I have a thermometer with a sensor at the end of a very thin 4 foot cable. The sensor hangs from one of the middle shelves and we can check the interior temp without opening the door. On setting 5, the Norcold stays around 38 degrees, but of course there are so many variables (outside temperatures, sitting in sun or shade, propane or shore power, how many times I open the door to get something to eat, etc.).
I pretty much follow this same procedure and get the same results. Works great for us.

GeorgiaRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 10:30 AM   #8

Thanks everyone
dr5chrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 10:33 AM   #9
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Thanks everyone

Please tell us, did the fridge finally cool down?
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote