Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-05-2018, 07:14 PM   #1

Norcold fridge in our 29MV - need advice

OK Jayco experts, I need your help. I think we’re having a problem with our refrigerator, but I’m not sure. It’s a Norcold 8XX Series in our 2018 29MV. Here’s the blueprint: We are fairly experienced travelers, recently changing from a 24-foot travel trailer (with a Norcold 6XX Series) to our 29MV. Most of our traveling is done in the months other than June, July, and August, so camping in the heat of the summer is newer to us. I absolutely know that these refrigerators are nothing like our residential units at home, so I take that into consideration when we travel. It’s turned on 24 to 48 hours prior to departing on a trip, and we don’t open the door trying to decide what to get or to cool the inside of the MH.

The trip we’re on now has been to different parts of Michigan, and we have had days in the upper 80’s and low 90’s. During our first several stops (3 or 4 nights each), I increased the fridge temperature to the max, which is 9, and manually switched from Auto to AC. In the morning the interior fridge temp would be in the high 20’s or low 30’s, and I was OK with that. When we would return to the MH for dinner, the interior refrigerator temps would sometimes be in the high 30’s or low 40’s. The A/C was set to keep the interior of the MH at 75 degrees.

This morning we departed Traverse City and ended up south of Ann Arbor, a trip of about 250 miles. Prior to disconnecting the electric in Traverse City, I manually changed the Mode from AC to LP (yep, plenty of propane in the tank). The interior of the fridge was 30 degrees at 8AM. We made a stop for lunch with friends near Flint, and while out of the MH had the genny running for the A/C to keep it cool inside for the dog. I also switched the fridge from LP to AC, then back to LP when we continued on our trip. When we arrived at the CG around 4PM, the interior of the fridge was 57 degrees and the interior of the MH was around 82 degrees. The cab A/C was on so we weren’t hot. But the outside temps were in the mid 90’s. I know it’s going to take several more hours to get the fridge back to normal. The fridge is only about one third full (we're on the home stretch of this trip), plus I installed a small computer fan to keep the air circulating. I have not checked the freezer temps, but everything in there is still frozen. I have also felt the pipes and burner stack behind the fridge from the exterior when we arrived at the CG and they were warm to hot, so I suspect that the fridge is operating in the LP Mode. The temperature range on the Norcold in our former TT ranged from 1 to 5, and I rarely had it on 5, the coldest position.

So, do I have a problem or am I doing something wrong? Or is it just the heat of the day? I was afraid that the auto function may not be working, so that’s why I manually switch the mode. It just seems to me that the problem is happening during the day when we are traveling on LP, not when we’re parked at a CG on shore power. Help...

p.s. The last time we had the MH at the dealer I asked them to check the operation of the Norcold and they said it was working properly.

Love To Travel 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 08:10 PM   #2

Oh the love hate of the old RV refrigerator. Love the propane gas option for travel but hate the hot weather and fighting cooling temperatures. Something we all have experienced.

Is yours the 4 door? That’s what we have in our 29mvp.

It sure sounds like the propane failed to light on that last leg of your trip. Mine cools better on propane so when traveling I leave it on propane until we arrive at our destination.

If I’m running the power plant I will have the air conditioners on but refrigerator stays on propane.

Check your burner outside. You can do this easily by taking the cover off the exterior and looking up at the burner tube. You will see a blue flame. Sometimes a spider or dirt gets on the burner and prevents it from lighting or burning properly.

You can carefully remove the silver flat sheet metal cover from the front of the burner tube with a couple of Philips screws. Take some compressed air and blow off the burner and up inside the burner tube.

This is a annual maintenance procedure listed in your paperwork.

Also, look inside on the coils at the thermistor and be sure it hasn’t fallen off the coils.

You shouldn’t be adjusting the temperature control that often. It takes several hours for any changes to be noticed anyway.

Be sure anything you place in the refrigerator is already cold. These RV refrigerators can maintain but if you place hot water bottles or soft drinks in there your asking for trouble.

We also use a couple of these little gems in the bottom to circulate the air and help prevent the coils from freezing. The air movement sure helps keep the temperature constant.

Hope this helps some...it’s a trial and error love hate relationship with these things for sure!
Attached Thumbnails
0CB358C4-893B-4CE1-BE41-83024EE5A325.jpg  
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 08:48 PM   #3

Sounds like the exact same problem we were having in our Seneca with the norcold 1210. I started digging into this weekend and discovered the factory install was all wrong from the install specs from Norcold. Here is a link to what I found, my post is #41

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...tml#post673293

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 07:01 AM   #4

Thank you both for your replies. We have the two door model Norcold, which in the 29MV gets you the pantry, whereas with the four door Norcold there is no pantry. I don't think we had a 'no light' situation with the LP while on the road. My understanding is that the digital readout will show an error code if the pilot doesn't light within 30 or so seconds, and we did not have that. I always check the display before I move and every time we stop just to make sure everything is OK.

Also, when we are on an extended trip like we are now, I don't have the facilities to pre-cool any additional supplies we pick up at the grocery store. Things like milk, fruit, or frozen foods are OK, but sodas or vegetables or a bottle of salad dressing have to go in warm. But that is not what is causing my problem.

Sitting here in the MH at 8:30AM on a cool, cloudy morning, the fridge is 29 degrees with the Mode on AC and the temp control on 9. Last night at dinner, when the door was opened and closed numerous times, it went up to 42. During the day when it's in the 80's outside, and we're only in partial shade at this CG, the coach A/C comes on and maintains the interior at 74 or 75, so the fridge doesn't get warmer. I feel it's when we are traveling the Interstates in 80 or 90 degree weather, when the roadways are boiling hot, the sun is beating down on our 'easy bake oven' and I'm not running the genny or the roof A/C, so the interior of the coach is in the 80's. I run the cab A/C so we're cool up front, but the box is warm.

We'll be home in a couple of days, so I'll check the outside mechanicals of the fridge then and preform some annual maintenance. I'll also check the tolerances like Rustynuts recommended. Thanks again!

Old 08-07-2018, 07:37 AM   #5

Here are a couple more tips...don't run the frig on generator but always leave it on propane just in case the power management system sheds it and you don't know.

Don't put hot plastic water, soda, or beer in the frig but always chill them in a ice chest first. The hot items will bring your temp up and take forever to recover. We try and place everything pre-chilled or purchase it cold while on the road. These things don't recover very fast just like they don't startup and cool down fast before a trip same holds true of recovery.

Opening and closing of the door while your coach is hot inside is a temp killer and again will take temps time to recover. If you must open the door be sure it is few and quick.

Don't overload the frig as this tends to disrupt air flow which is very important to keeping temps constant in a RV frig. Place things on shelves to allow air to circulate and buy a couple of those cheap RV frig fans I mentioned and use them as they do help.

Good luck and I bet with a little practice and these tips you can make it work.
Old 08-07-2018, 09:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love To Travel 2 View Post
Sitting here in the MH at 8:30AM on a cool, cloudy morning, the fridge is 29 degrees with the Mode on AC and the temp control on 9. Last night at dinner, when the door was opened and closed numerous times, it went up to 42. During the day when it's in the 80's outside, and we're only in partial shade at this CG, the coach A/C comes on and maintains the interior at 74 or 75, so the fridge doesn't get warmer. I feel it's when we are traveling the Interstates in 80 or 90 degree weather, when the roadways are boiling hot, the sun is beating down on our 'easy bake oven' and I'm not running the genny or the roof A/C, so the interior of the coach is in the 80's. I run the cab A/C so we're cool up front, but the box is warm.

We were seeing basically the same temps you are before I made the changes. Running on 9 setting the lowest I ever saw pre cooling before a trip while setting inside pole building was 9 freezer and 28 fridge. We havent been on a trip yet but just setting in Pole building with it set on 9 it is at -4 freezer and 19 fridge so this morning I lowered it to 5 to see what it get to. I think fixing the upper baffle on mine made a huge difference.

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
We were seeing basically the same temps you are before I made the changes. Running on 9 setting the lowest I ever saw pre cooling before a trip while setting inside pole building was 9 freezer and 28 fridge. We havent been on a trip yet but just setting in Pole building with it set on 9 it is at -4 freezer and 19 fridge so this morning I lowered it to 5 to see what it get to. I think fixing the upper baffle on mine made a huge difference.
Rusty it sounds like you found your problem. The OP has a Class C like ours and same model which luckily has the refrigerator roof vent. Those without roof vents seem to have more cooling issues.

Not to say he could use some of the same stuff you did to yours but his roof vent helps a bunch. They also make a neat solar powered vent cover for roof vents that can help.

I don’t understand why Rv builders don’t vent these things properly. Fans in the external compartment behind the frig are ok and help but those little computer fans just don’t move enough air.
Old 08-07-2018, 11:11 AM   #8

This might be a solution to others that have a similar problem, but i had that problem with the freezer keeping things frozen but the fridge was at 50 or higher. So i went through the same B.S. trying to find something thats causing it to adding fans and sorts. So i called my rv tech guy and he said to disconnect All power 120 and 12 volt from the fridge and let it set for 24 hours. Now i have the norcold 1210 4 door fridge and he said that the new fridges have so much electronics that mine was caught in a defrost mode and doing a complete depower and thaw might work. And it did. Just sharing this tid bit for all as i was almost ready to put a residential in.
2017 Ram 3500, Big Horn, 6.7, Crew, Long, DRW, Aisin, 4:10. Full timer in a Pinnacle
eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 12:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleback View Post
So i called my rv tech guy and he said to disconnect All power 120 and 12 volt from the fridge and let it set for 24 hours.
I''ve read that the Norcold is programmed for a two-day defrost cycle and all you need to do to reset it into a later defrost cycle is to power it down and back on. I find that the triple computer pancake fans blowing on the cooling fins in the fridge compartment pretty much eliminates frost buildup except for the outer four or so fins that aren't blown directly by the fans. So interrupting the defrost cycle plus the fans goes a long way to maintaining low temps.
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 12:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossingover View Post
I''ve read that the Norcold is programmed for a two-day defrost cycle and all you need to do to reset it into a later defrost cycle is to power it down and back on. I find that the triple computer pancake fans blowing on the cooling fins in the fridge compartment pretty much eliminates frost buildup except for the outer four or so fins that aren't blown directly by the fans. So interrupting the defrost cycle plus the fans goes a long way to maintaining low temps.
We did fans too best 70 bucks spent!
Attached Thumbnails
Frig Fan 11-14-17.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 02:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossingover View Post
X2. I cycle my fridge off and on daily to prevent auto defrost. The fans on the fins are a huge help.
Old 08-07-2018, 02:15 PM   #12

In Arizona humidity is not a problem,we have others heat!What do you mean by cycle frig on and off! Thanks
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 02:20 PM   #13

I turn the fridge off and on every morning. I leave it off for about 5 seconds and that resets the auto defrost timer.
Old 08-08-2018, 10:26 AM   #14

I am having the exact same problem. I feel like something changed because I don't recall having this problem last year. It would practically freeze drinks in the fridge. I never had to turn the fridge up past 5 and now it runs on 9 all the time just to try and maintain sub 40 temps. On a trip last month I had all the meat in the fridge spoil because of the elevated temps, that's when I first noticed the issue. I had the rv center look at it and they claim its working normally. One change we did make was we started putting our bottled water and coke cans in there this season. Most of the time its just my son and I on the road so it saves the step of preparing a cooler. I'm wondering if that heat load has caused the issue. I've started putting a bag of ice in the bottom drawer to help maintain cooler temps. I'll try some fans and see if that helps.
Spanks79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 08:38 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanks79 View Post
I am having the exact same problem. I feel like something changed because I don't recall having this problem last year. It would practically freeze drinks in the fridge. I never had to turn the fridge up past 5 and now it runs on 9 all the time just to try and maintain sub 40 temps. On a trip last month I had all the meat in the fridge spoil because of the elevated temps, that's when I first noticed the issue. I had the rv center look at it and they claim its working normally. One change we did make was we started putting our bottled water and coke cans in there this season. Most of the time its just my son and I on the road so it saves the step of preparing a cooler. I'm wondering if that heat load has caused the issue. I've started putting a bag of ice in the bottom drawer to help maintain cooler temps. I'll try some fans and see if that helps.
Don't put anything in the frig that hasn't been chilled...hot drinks will raise the operating temp and take several hours to correct itself. We use a small cooler for drinks.
Old 08-09-2018, 06:42 AM   #16

We have been in a campground in southern Michigan for the past 5 days and the fridge has been acting as "normal" as I think it can. I check the temp each morning and it hovers around 30 degrees with the temperature set at 9. We're not here during the day, so I don't know if or how much it increases with the afternoon sun and heat, but when return at dinner, everything is still nice and cold. I agree though, that keeping the control at a 9 setting is not what we should have to do.

The real test will be the next two days, when we head back to Central Pennsylvania, around 460 miles. We'll be dividing the trip into two legs, staying at a CG for one night at the half-way point. So for 4-5 hours each day the Norcold will be running on LP. But of course there are so many factors that could affect the outcome, so I'll keep you updated.

I have also taken Hoppers4 advice and each morning I turn the Norcold off for 5 or so seconds and then back on. If this delays the defrost cycle, then it's worth the time and effort. I've read and reread the Norcold Owners Manual (11/4/2014 edition and on-line) and the only mention of this reads: "Although the refrigerator is not frost-free, it is made to limit frost on the cooling fins. At regular intervals, the temperature control system automatically melts most of the frost from the cooling fins." If this is causing the increased interior temperatures, and turning the unit off and on once a day resolves the issue by delaying the defrost cycle, then I'll be a happy camper.

Thanks everyone for your posts and advice!

Old 08-09-2018, 08:04 AM   #17

Quote:
We have been in a campground in southern Michigan for the past 5 days and the fridge has been acting as "normal" as I think it can. I check the temp each morning and it hovers around 30 degrees with the temperature set at 9. We're not here during the day, so I don't know if or how much it increases with the afternoon sun and heat, but when return at dinner, everything is still nice and cold. I agree though, that keeping the control at a 9 setting is not what we should have to do.

The real test will be the next two days, when we head back to Central Pennsylvania, around 460 miles. We'll be dividing the trip into two legs, staying at a CG for one night at the half-way point. So for 4-5 hours each day the Norcold will be running on LP. But of course there are so many factors that could affect the outcome, so I'll keep you updated.

I have also taken Hoppers4 advice and each morning I turn the Norcold off for 5 or so seconds and then back on. If this delays the defrost cycle, then it's worth the time and effort. I've read and reread the Norcold Owners Manual (11/4/2014 edition and on-line) and the only mention of this reads: "Although the refrigerator is not frost-free, it is made to limit frost on the cooling fins. At regular intervals, the temperature control system automatically melts most of the frost from the cooling fins." If this is causing the increased interior temperatures, and turning the unit off and on once a day resolves the issue by delaying the defrost cycle, then I'll be a happy camper.

Thanks everyone for your posts and advice!
Ours is acting exactly the same as yours. We keep it on the 9 setting but when driving temps in the frig can get up to 60 or higher on hot days and driving more than 4 or 5 hours. Thats when running on LP even when driving. I have the 4 door Norcold in a 2017 29MV. It came with the exterior muffin fans on the back side of the frig near the top. I can hear them running when its hot out, you can see them if you take the outside side cover off and look way up in the top.

I agree it should not have to run at the 9 setting all the time. When we first got the RV it use to run fine at 6 or 7. We dont put anything warm in the frig and dont leave the doors open long.

GeorgiaRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:09 AM   #18

I'm sort of glad we're not the only ones having refrigerator issues, but I don't want to wish this on anyone else. Other than some of the helpful advice in this and other threads, I wish there was an easy solution, but I don't think there is. Norcold makes many different models of RV refrigerators and every manufacturer installs them to fit their particular makes and models. And from reading posts here on the JOF, it sounds to me like the manufacturers don't have very high standards when it comes to following the installation specifications.

So what we know so far is:
1. Don't put hot or warm items in the fridge; precool them
2. Don't keep the fridge completely full; it needs room to breathe
3. Open and close the door quickly
4. Turning the fridge off then on every morning should delay the defrost cycle
5. Check the flame and mechanicals often to make sure everything is operating properly
6. Read about installing a fan in the fridge to keep the air circulating
7. I'm sure there is more...

As an aside, during the year that we spent researching Class C's prior to purchasing our 29MV, one of the things that I started doing was reading the Owners Forums for the two manufacturers that were at the top of our list, one of those being Jayco. This way I could see what sort of issues the models we were considering were having. What got high marks for the "other guy" was that they had a company representative assigned to the owners forum and he would field a lot of the questions that the owners had, and would try to point them in the right direction. I wonder what it would be like here on the JOF, if Jayco had someone monitoring the threads and allaying some of our fears and concerns when we had issues or problems such as this? Just my 2 cents.

Old 08-14-2018, 05:47 AM   #19

Refer Update

We are home after a 3 week, 1,600 mile trip, and the Norcold N821RT didn't disappoint me during the two day drive home. Each morning, about an hour prior to departing the CG, I moved the MODE switch from AC to LP and heard the burner fire. I also visually checked from the outside and saw the blue flame. The refrigerator temperature, with the control on 9, was 30 or 31 degrees.

At our first rest stop of the day, about 75 minutes from the CG, the refrigerator temperature had reached 57 degrees, so in a little more than an hour the temperature went up 27 degrees. The inside of the refrigerator was sopping wet, enough so that water was running onto the coach floor and we had to wipe everything down. When we reached the CG that afternoon, the temperature had started to drop, but only from 57 to 49 degrees. We plugged into shore power and by the next morning the temperature had gone down to 31 degrees.

The same thing happened on our last day as we were heading home. Thirty-one degrees in the morning, 58 degrees two hours later, and 60 degrees in the driveway at home at 4:00 PM.

On Sunday I detailed the actions of the refrigerator in a two-page document and sent it to Norcold. At 10:19 AM on Monday morning, Norcold responded to my email, and advised me that since the unit was still under warranty, that I should take it to one of their authorized service centers. I already had an appointment scheduled at our dealer for some other work, and our dealer is a Norcold Service Center, so I forwarded my email and document to them. I'm convinced that even though I see a blue flame when it's on LP Mode, there is something wrong when we are actually driving, and not hooked to shore power. Time will tell.

Old 08-14-2018, 06:15 AM   #20

Quote:
We are home after a 3 week, 1,600 mile trip, and the Norcold N821RT didn't disappoint me during the two day drive home. Each morning, about an hour prior to departing the CG, I moved the MODE switch from AC to LP and heard the burner fire. I also visually checked from the outside and saw the blue flame. The refrigerator temperature, with the control on 9, was 30 or 31 degrees.

At our first rest stop of the day, about 75 minutes from the CG, the refrigerator temperature had reached 57 degrees, so in a little more than an hour the temperature went up 27 degrees. The inside of the refrigerator was sopping wet, enough so that water was running onto the coach floor and we had to wipe everything down. When we reached the CG that afternoon, the temperature had started to drop, but only from 57 to 49 degrees. We plugged into shore power and by the next morning the temperature had gone down to 31 degrees.

The same thing happened on our last day as we were heading home. Thirty-one degrees in the morning, 58 degrees two hours later, and 60 degrees in the driveway at home at 4:00 PM.

On Sunday I detailed the actions of the refrigerator in a two-page document and sent it to Norcold. At 10:19 AM on Monday morning, Norcold responded to my email, and advised me that since the unit was still under warranty, that I should take it to one of their authorized service centers. I already had an appointment scheduled at our dealer for some other work, and our dealer is a Norcold Service Center, so I forwarded my email and document to them. I'm convinced that even though I see a blue flame when it's on LP Mode, there is something wrong when we are actually driving, and not hooked to shore power. Time will tell.
Yep, I am having the exact same behavior from mine. Please keep us posted on your progress.

Thanks for posting.

GeorgiaRV is offline   Reply With Quote