Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-23-2019, 02:59 PM   #1

Norcold refrigerator door opens when driving

I have a 2019 Greyhawk Prestige 31FSP with the Norcold refrigerator. This is my fourth trip out and on this trip, I had an issue where multiple times my refrigerator door swung open while driving. I noticed there is a cheap little pin that is supposed to keep it closed. Does anyone have this issue or know of a fix? I am still under warrantee and can take it to dealer but I am traveling now and looking for a quick fix until I can get it in.

Thanks for your help.
Fishstick8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 03:27 PM   #2

Previous posts on this subject suggest removing all heavy items from the door racks ie, water, beer ,heavy glass jars etc. and this should help the problem
2010 Toyota Tundra toad
Oma/opa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 04:47 PM   #3

Thank you for your reply.

I did remove all items for door. What I noticed is the door opens without needing to pull the handle with very little pressure. That little plastic post looks too low to really catch.
Old 06-23-2019, 04:59 PM   #4

Mine did that as well. I did not feel like dealing with warranty work for this so I added 2 washers to the bottom door hinge to raise the door up just enough to allow the pin mechanism to stay latched.
drmike961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 05:02 PM   #5

We had same issueon our new 2019 class c. Carefully remove plastic trim that covers your frig settings, it pops off from hinge side. Under it there are 2 hex head screws . Remove them and place a washer under plastic latch on bottom screw. Note not on screw but under plastic latch. Worked for us..
cherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 05:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmike961 View Post
Mine did that as well. I did not feel like dealing with warranty work for this so I added 2 washers to the bottom door hinge to raise the door up just enough to allow the pin mechanism to stay latched.
Same here, washers added, no problems now.
bababooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 08:42 PM   #7

Same, added washers, had dealer do it since mine was still under warranty.
SlyWombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 09:47 AM   #8

I've always understood those little plastic pins to be to hold the fridge slightly open when it's off and in storage so you get air flow and keep your fridge from getting musty. Incidentally, those don't work for me while driving, so I never use them.

Last trip out, DW had the fridge loaded wrong, so it didn't seal correctly. I could see this easily causing the doors to open in a turn.

Otherwise, my latches lock home with a clearly audible "click" when I latch the doors closed. Perhaps aligning your doors with washers will help that locking latch feature engage properly?

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 04:01 PM   #9

I ended up using a stick to push the black catch down ever so little and we got home fine without the door opening. I will be adding the 2 washers to the door this weekend and it looks like that should fix it. I’ll let you know how it works out.

Thanks for the great advice.