Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-14-2019, 12:38 PM   #1

Norcold won’t cool on ac

While on shore power my Norcold freezer seems to be working but refrigerator is warm. Thermostat is at the highest setting, breaker is on, and the Rv is parked and level. Fridge is new (RV is a 2019 Melbourne 24k).
Any ideas as to what I should check? Is there a reset or something in the access panel that I’m missing? Thanks.
Mondoggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 06:24 PM   #2

Just curious, does your refrigerator work on propane? I'm kind of in the same boat as you since I have the same problem you have on AC, but it is intermittent. On propane it seems to be working as it should. Hopefully someone has an answer.
Heymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 07:16 PM   #3

What is the outside temp? Are you in direct sun?
eeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 09:16 PM   #4

Thanks for getting back to me, Heymom, fridge works a bit better on propane, but not enough to keep things from spoiling. Eeek, not parkedvin direct sun but the rv is hot. It’s parked outside of my house in the shade but our temps reached 90 today. I have my air conditioner thermostat set at 85. Not using the RV at the moment but always before I’ve been able to storr food in the fridge between trips. With this RV I’ve had to throw everything away.
My coach air conditioner is pretty much useless In temps above 85. I guess the fridge is the same way.
I did move the thermostat sensor higher on the cooling fins as a result of a tip I read on another thread. I’ll let you know tomorrow if that helps.
Old 08-15-2019, 12:45 PM   #5

for what it's worth, the fridge running on propane for 24 hours has gotten nice and cold. I've switched over now to electric to see if that setting is enough to keep it cold. I did not consider that running a fridge on propane was anymore efficient than electricity.
We'll watch to see what happens.
Old 08-15-2019, 05:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondoggie View Post
for what it's worth, the fridge running on propane for 24 hours has gotten nice and cold. I've switched over now to electric to see if that setting is enough to keep it cold. I did not consider that running a fridge on propane was anymore efficient than electricity.
We'll watch to see what happens.
Having gone through multiple service trips with my Norcold it sounds like it's the electric heating element, sensor, or the board itself. With mine it stopped cooling completely (both AC and propane) which indicated it was the cooling unit. The fact yours cools on propane rules out the cooling unit.

Sounds like you'll have to bring it in to have them verify but sounds like the AC element or board.
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 09:52 PM   #7

Had the same exact issue yesterday with our 24FBS Norcold refrigerator. Did some troubleshooting, 123volts AC at the heating element terminals on the board. Ohm out the element, nothing. Ordered a new element, we are at the campground, it will be here tomorrow.
HD Trailering Package with Integrated Brake Controller

Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 11:34 PM   #8

Open the panel on the outside and check that control board fuse.

2020 Ford F350 XLT 4x4 SCLB, FX4, 6.7 Diesel
2021 NorthWood Nash 29S, OTG, Solar
2014 Ford F150 XLT 4x4 HD, SCLB, 5.0 373 SOLD
2011 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHS SOLD
ToppDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 01:09 PM   #9

same thing with mine i had it plugged into the house for 3 days (never checked the fridge ) on AC went to add grocerys not even cold RV place said put it on propane and take your trip, it worked fine for the 3 days of camping still need to take it down and see if the control board is bad or the sensor its still under warranty
donfiori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 07:25 PM   #10

Ok, I know this is an old post but the problem has reoccurred. RV is almost perfectly level. Light on the door says it should be working (no codes or blinking). Fridge was working 2 days ago but now won’t work on gas or electricity. It’s on gas currently and set on high (5 stars). Outside, I can see and hear the flame and the metal cylinder is hot, but the fridge is still warm and ice in the freezer is melting.
I checked outside and dug into the panel. There were two fuses ( a 2.5 and a 5). Both looked good but I had spares so I replaced them anyway. There was a 3rd fuse that also appeared good but I didn’t have a replacement so I left it alone. This is a new RV (2019) but I’ve had it since February and except for a temporary problem noted in another post on this thread, I’ve kept it running non stop.
I’m traveling now and don’t have a thermometer or voltage meter. Any ideas?
Old 11-04-2019, 07:36 PM   #11
Site Team

The control board has a bad history. Do you see any yellow powder on the outside access compartment?

Have you verified all the push on connections are tight on the control board?
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 08:04 PM   #12

Ha! In the dark with my I-phone flashlight it’s hard to tell yellow powder from plain old dust. I couldn’t tell that any of the plug were loose, but there are two white wires that plug into the same receptacle and the receptacle itself felt a little loose.
I should be under warranty but I sure hate the hassle of taking it in. You say that control board is prone to failure?
Old 11-04-2019, 08:10 PM   #13
Site Team

Yes, there are many threads on JOF about it. Sorry you are having problems. I would call the dealer, maybe they can work it out to get one and you replace it or a mobile tech.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 11-04-2019, 08:13 PM   #14

Thanks! I’ll do some checking.
Old 11-05-2019, 05:32 AM   #15
Site Team

Here is one: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...tor-66562.html
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 11-06-2019, 05:51 AM   #16

Had the same experience with the norcold in my class c. Shut it down and scheduled service being only 3 months old at the time. Service dept told me to turn the fridge back on 24 hours before service appointment so they could diagnose it properly. Turned it back on and it worked properly. Service said it probably just needed a reset. I'm fairly certain the shore power at the last campsite had issues and might have caused my problem.
rndsommer40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 04:46 AM   #17

Ha! Mine worked for a while yesterday on propane but then quit again, I’ll shut it down and try the reset idea. Couldn’t hurt, I guess.
Old 10-08-2020, 08:38 AM   #18

Hi folks. This is a pretty old post but I still get an occasional comment. To resolve the Norcold problem I finally took it back to the dealer and had the control board replaced under warranty. Works fine now.
Thanks everyone for the input.
Old 10-08-2020, 07:01 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondoggie View Post
While on shore power my Norcold freezer seems to be working but refrigerator is warm. Thermostat is at the highest setting, breaker is on, and the Rv is parked and level. Fridge is new (RV is a 2019 Melbourne 24k).
Any ideas as to what I should check? Is there a reset or something in the access panel that I’m missing? Thanks.

Do a goggle search on diagnosis on Norcold RV Fridges. You will find they are quite easy to diagnose. Biggest problem is finding parts available with the covid effects on manufacturing
Antper is offline   Reply With Quote