Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-28-2016, 02:23 PM   #21

I was a boy scout too... When all we did was camp in weather, you didnt get to really enjoy what its about.

Those times that we had sunny and dry weather though, it was awesome.
Old 01-28-2016, 05:55 PM   #22

yep..closing in on a year of owning our Greyhawk 29mv 2015...
we upgraded the measly house battery to 2 6v. house batteries..work awesome...
Put in premium surge protector...slide out roof awnings...and a lot of other items to make it the way we want it...
There is no perfect less than 100 k MotorHome...we rolled the dice on Jayco from owner reviews etc...we are happy with our rig...there has been multiple little fixes and surprises to deal with..I don't mind getting these minor issues fixed myself...
If I can keep my rig away from the dealer I am better off....if it is a major problem, sure it goes in..but till then we are happy with our Jayco...
BTW..still not sure bout the tankless water heater feature...if I had a choice from beginning a tank type would be my pick...
Old 02-03-2016, 01:18 PM   #23

****ztek

I contacted the dealer about the slide-out controller location after viewing the YouTube vids on re-syncing and resetting the controller. In a Seneca 37FS the controller is under the lower drawer at the slide-out wardrobe. You can't get to it with the slide in.
RoWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 01:23 PM   #24
Site Team

Bad location decision by someone but I would not think that the slide manufacturer decided to put it there.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 09:47 AM   #25

As I posted earlier, we were weekend boondocking at Quartzsite, AZ and on Sunday January 24th, the Schwintek slide on our Seneca 37FS got out of alignment or something, and wouldn't retract. My wife is a natural redhead, and situations with less than optimal outcomes tend to 'distress' her. Greatly. Pushed and cajoled and got the slide in.
I received a call yesterday, March 7th, that the gear rack is toast, the motor sheared something and was rotating in the enclosure, and factory alignment issues. One year into a two year warranty, photos and documentation for approval from Jayco for labor and parts receipt will add weeks. This is week 7 without use of the coach and the monthly payment doesn't stop.
Wide open spaces at Quartzsite and two couples from two distant 5th wheels were walking straight to our site. "Really like the looks of your Seneca and thinking of getting away from 5th wheels," they said. Canadians soaking UV rays. Loved the storage and engine access. Not so keen on 8 total steps to the house, but they crossed their index fingers and stepped well back from the coach when they saw the Schwintek slide. "Have you had any trouble with the slide? Heard they are troublesome." I foolishly defended my purchase even as I remembered a similiar failure in Bellingham, WA. Never one to get a break, it crapped the next day.
With non-existent quality control and EVERY coach, trailer, and 5th wheel seemingly built on a Friday before a 3 dayer, the common thread through this forum has been failure, slipshod, and redo.
I am glad Jayco does not build airplanes.
Old 03-08-2016, 10:10 AM   #26

So sorry RoWest. It's testimonials like yours that has stopped me from taking the plunge and upgrading my Jayco TT to a motor home.
Thinking of a new motor home had the same effect as when I was 16 dreaming about that girl sitting next to me in class. I didn't get her then and now the same thing with a motor home.
Good luck!
Old 03-08-2016, 10:51 AM   #27

Not happy

The service writer that broke the news yesterday said that Jayco has twice flown out factory reps to examine the dealers high level of warranty repair and parts. Cracked 5th wheel caps, cabinets disintegrating, lumpy floors, you name it. They shook their heads when shown the issues, OK'd everything, and flew back to their corporate cocoon. Hint: This is a LARGE dealer with multiple So. California locations and a single Indiana facility blocks from the plant, so they mutually have their brown-noses in backsides.
Old 03-08-2016, 11:53 AM   #28

seems unfortunate that the owners with problems are the major contributors to this forum...sure I don't blame them for being upset, but there are probably a lot of happy Jayco owners, who far outnumber the few with real problems, we just don't hear from them much.
So you roll the dice with a new RV, and hope you get a good one...a year on our 2015 Greyhawk 29mv and we are pleased with our rig...7,000 miles now, and yes there have been little things I have taken care of myself...these things do have annoying problems at times, they ALL do.
I would feel like RoWest too, if that happened, I hope you get back to enjoying your RV, soon.
BTW, we have gotten used to our Girard Tankless Water Heater, we can boon-dock with it, it took us some time learning it's quirky ways for sure, we love when hooked up the constant flow of hot water with no limit like on the tank type....just my two cents here is all...
Old 03-08-2016, 12:12 PM   #29

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
RoWest; Sorry to hear about the unfortunate problems with the slide.

A lot of times RV manufactures innovate their own way beyond control of the component manufacturer. All the manufactures are screaming for lighter components and those processes will have problems before they got it right. The consumer pays one way or another; a lot of time it is the down time of the RV
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 12:25 PM   #30

StevWb; Human nature is that when something goes wrong we want others to hear our voice. Over the fifty years I owned RV's I have been happy with all them, because I know ahead of time there's some fixing to do. And I have different standards than the RV manufacturing industry. When you're buying new or used you can expect some repair or modifications because we all have different standards. I am sure RV manufactures will monitor forums to improve their quality. If the workers in the RV industry have a proper incentive and given them time to do things right in the first place with a proper quality end control less would slip through with defects.
No manufacturer is happy with costly service work, because their profit will be eating up very fast.
Old 03-08-2016, 01:09 PM   #31

I totally agree ALJO, I also feel that the negative posts will have Jayco paying attention to owners problems and concerns...and correct these recurring issues...
I did not buy another make RV, after reading many problems from that name brand RV, and went with Jayco cause it seemed less likely to have problems...
Seems like the Schwintek slide system is perhaps very probematic from what I have read.
Old 03-08-2016, 02:02 PM   #32

JAYCO, COACHMAN, HOLIDAY RAMBLER, EVERGREEN, WINNEBAGO use them and the list goes on and on with many being full wall. I really don't think they all would if SCHWINTEK was a.major problem.

If I remember correctly JAYCO shipped in.excess of 45,000 units last year. Granted not all had slides and not all SCHWINTEK in those that did, but the problems are really not that high.
Old 03-08-2016, 02:49 PM   #33

Best thing for an owner of an RV is to inform yourself on the accessories you have (even if you are not technical). For most of the accessories you get information from the RV manufacturer but not for all. Like technical specifications on axles, rims, tires, slide out mechanism etc. I always go on the internet and find all the information with trouble shooting charts. I don't rely on the manufactures or dealers to fix my problems. If I am in the middle of nowhere I have to fix an accessory myself and I want to know what is wrong before the someone wants to screw me over. You all heard the story from the furnace mechanic to sell you a electronic board while there's nothing wrong with the old one. Education is a life long process and the University is right on the internet. RV's travel on the road and through vibration things can go wrong, just like with other vehicles. I can get angry the way the RV industry put things together, but it doesn't help. Their process of changing is slower than mine. So I take it as it is and stay independent with all the repair I do. I have two binders of information in my TT, that's why DW stays home when the binders come along........the GVWR lol.
Just got a Jay Feather a couple of weeks ago, but have been in every spot to clean up wiring. Check all appliances and check wheel bearings, brakes etc. Yes, the dealer told me they did do a full brake and bearing adjustment(a free $320.00 job)...........yeah right, then I would have seen traces of removing the hubs. And yes this is a very reputable dealer and well known. Well I expect one more week and I have a very good and dependable RV on the road. And this summer the roof is my first priority a new coat and proper sealing......there will be no short cuts.
Old 03-08-2016, 06:53 PM   #34

The MSRP for a Seneca would buy you a Bentley Continental with more ass than a toilet seat. It's disappointing to have to take it to the dealer for 6 weeks after every use. I sprung for the Super Premier full coach and running-gear extended warranty for 7 years at purchase because they made the price attractive in negotiation. Maybe I didn't throw that money away......
Old 03-08-2016, 07:18 PM   #35

well hopefully once it is repaired it will work for a long time to come.maybe the slide was just a little out of kilter in adjustment from the factory.... going through the factory and watching how fast they build these units I don't know how they don't have more wrong
Old 03-08-2016, 07:44 PM   #36

When it is at the dealer they should after the repair test everything. And anything their eyes should see they should fix. You paid well for all the warranties. Investing that much money and sitting more at the dealer than you are using it, there's something wrong with that picture.
If people would have to go with their vehicles to dealers like that, manufactures would go broke from the lawsuits. And people would quit buying them.
What is wrong with the RV industry is it because the people keep on buying them?
The way they leave the manufacturing plant is no different than 50 years ago, yes they are more modern in styling, but we still find sawdust, big holes cut un necessary and wiring all over the place not neatly routed. But we keep on buying because we have accepted those situations. Think most of us are aware of the problems and many will fix things them selves on the cheaper RV's. But that make things not right for the RV industry.
Old 03-17-2016, 10:16 AM   #37

I just received a call from the dealer that parts delivery is expected March 23rd and possibly repaired by Friday 25th for my Spring Break trip starting Monday the 28th. That is 8 weeks since failure. I've made 2 payments for a broken coach and skin-of-teeth timing for a trip planned months ago. Does it seem like Jayco does not recognize the sales made west of the Mississippi and that, even after approvals, shipping is almost a week? Give me the option for overnight and I'll pay the difference. Or, radically, stock parts in your dealer's inventory or a west coast warehouse?
Just venting. My dog is too small to kick and my red-headed wife kicks back.
2014 Seneca 37FS
2015 Wrangler Sport toad
red-headed wife
Old 03-24-2016, 08:43 AM   #38

Bought a 2011. Slide made some unusual noise at times. Finally failed early in 2nd year. 1 month at dealer. I learned 'Schwintec'. Failed 2 more times that year. With a total of 6 months at dealer. Jayco was just not interested and dealers don't make enough on warranty work. So, CA has lemon law that I had to use. Norman Taylor was very, very helpful. Sometimes we need a big club to get action. Slide works now and received a settlement to keep it working. Jayco and others need to take more pride in their products and customer support. If everyone just accepts getting crap then that's what will be served.
Old 03-24-2016, 09:25 AM   #39

Sprechen Sie Schwintec?

'Lemon Law' made my ears perk up. Early in the ownership of this outwardly beautiful coach with mechanical issues, I contacted a California attorney that Google said was a pit bull with RVs. Nope, he said, it has to issues that will kill you, not just make you get a divorce and rue the day you bought the POS. So, can you furnish contact info for the attorney? I've contemplated spending $200 at the local sign shop for a BIG banner to plaster on the side and park outside the dealer. Burn a bridge, but so far it hasn't been much of a relationship. No raised voice because I know that the service writer is not the fault. Just rushed assembly by employees with room temperature IQs and a corporate mentality that 'it's good enough for who it's for'.
2014 Seneca 37FS
2015 Wrangler Sport toad
red-headed wife
Old 03-24-2016, 11:31 AM   #40

Yeah we keep on buying them with the frustrations it brings us. That's why I do all the finishing and updating when they come in my yard. Also slide problems. If a slide isn't moving with easy or is binding you'll have to find the cause of it. It's a two men job; one operates the slide and one looks at all places accessible and make an assessment.
With assembly they hate lubricants so this might be a problem.