Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-21-2020, 12:02 PM   #1

Not switching from No Service when plugged in at Home

We have a used Jayco Greyhawk 31FS (2017) we bought a month back. We have been prepping for our first trip.

We just took it for a drive, brought it back and when we plug into the house (15A), it still says "No Service" (there is power, because the surge protecting I am plugging into shows power).

If I start the generator, run that for a few minutes, then stop it, it will use the electrical power just fine.

My theory is this. I recently installed a Pioneer CarPlay Stereo. Things worked fine after that, but today was the first time we actually drove it since then. Maybe something moved around and there is a short. I **think** the RV thinks the key is in the ignition, so it will not move from No Service. Is that how it works? I am guessing this because I have seen a few times where the stairs even when turned off are retracting, which is only supposed to happen if it thinks you are going to drive somewhere.

Before I rip the dash apart again, anything specific I can do to debug?

Since we are the second owners (we bought it with 3k miles on it), we didn't get a full "here is how to use it", so maybe we are just missing something.

Thanks in advance.
cnr1089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 12:14 PM   #2

Just a guess here but did you hook up the parking brake wire when you installed the radio ? If you didn't connect it to the actual parking brake circuit just ground it.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 06:09 PM   #3

Have you tried plugging in without using the surge protector?

I can't imagine anything done to the radio causing problems with the 120 volts. They are totally different systems and independent of each other. My 2017 Greyhawk doesn't care if the emergency brake is engaged or not for 120 volt operation. It only affects my leveling jacks.

I have no idea how the power management system works. I do know the shore power and generator both feed a transfer switch which switches from one to the other.

I plug in a small inverter generator to my shore power feed when dry camping. I use this generator to charge the battery and run the TV. When I need more power for say the microwave I just fire up the 4k generator for a short period. The transfer switch automatically connects to the big generator and when I turn off the big generator it will reconnect back to my little one.

Maybe you have a problem with the transfer switch. You mentioned the problem goes away after running the generator so maybe the transfer switch is hanging up at times. Just a thought.

If it were me I would plug it in and verify there is no power inside. Forget the display, try any 120 volt item or look at the microwave to see if its display is lit up. Then fire up the generator while still plugged in (you won't hurt anything) and see if you have power after the short generator turn on delay. Then turn off the generator and see if shore power is there. If it is, I believe the only thing that was changed was the transfer switch position.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 06:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnr1089 View Post
If I start the generator, run that for a few minutes, then stop it, it will use the electrical power just fine.
Explain what this means.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 07:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
Have you tried plugging in without using the surge protector?

I can't imagine anything done to the radio causing problems with the 120 volts. They are totally different systems and independent of each other. My 2017 Greyhawk doesn't care if the emergency brake is engaged or not for 120 volt operation. It only affects my leveling jacks.

I have no idea how the power management system works. I do know the shore power and generator both feed a transfer switch which switches from one to the other.

I plug in a small inverter generator to my shore power feed when dry camping. I use this generator to charge the battery and run the TV. When I need more power for say the microwave I just fire up the 4k generator for a short period. The transfer switch automatically connects to the big generator and when I turn off the big generator it will reconnect back to my little one.

Maybe you have a problem with the transfer switch. You mentioned the problem goes away after running the generator so maybe the transfer switch is hanging up at times. Just a thought.

If it were me I would plug it in and verify there is no power inside. Forget the display, try any 120 volt item or look at the microwave to see if its display is lit up. Then fire up the generator while still plugged in (you won't hurt anything) and see if you have power after the short generator turn on delay. Then turn off the generator and see if shore power is there. If it is, I believe the only thing that was changed was the transfer switch position.
So earlier today, after the first response, I made sure the parking break was on, and it wasn't pushed down as far as it could. As soon as I did that, I got the "shore power" working.

We were able to run the AC all day (we were packing it up and it is hot out). Tonight I went outside, and there was no shore power (AC will not turn on, microwave clock is off). Taking the parking break on or off is not helping.

Still says NONE for power (rather than 30A, 15A, etc).

As far as the radio and 120V system, I think there is something wired wrong with the parking break and the radio causing the power system to be confused, it is the only thing I can think of. The problem is, taking apart the dash is an hour+ thing and I only want to do it if I have to.
Old 07-21-2020, 07:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
Explain what this means.
Run the generator, I get 120V throughout. Turn the generator off, and it properly switches over to "Shore power." (New word for me).
Old 07-21-2020, 07:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnr1089 View Post
Run the generator, I get 120V throughout. Turn the generator off, and it properly switches over to "Shore power." (New word for me).
You might have a bad transfer switch.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 07:58 PM   #8

I have a 2018 Greyhawk 31fs. Your transfer switch is not swapping from shore power to generator power or visa versa.This Is because the previous owner Probably more than once started generator while hooked up to shore power Or plugged into shore power with generator running this can cause the Transfer Switch to Arc and will eventually cause the transfer switch to not operate properly all the time. You can probably clean the switch contacts. (Switch operates like points in an old car ignition distributor)
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 08:21 PM   #9

Any idea where it is located?
Old 07-23-2020, 08:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Ranger View Post
I have a 2018 Greyhawk 31fs. Your transfer switch is not swapping from shore power to generator power or visa versa.This Is because the previous owner Probably more than once started generator while hooked up to shore power Or plugged into shore power with generator running this can cause the Transfer Switch to Arc and will eventually cause the transfer switch to not operate properly all the time. You can probably clean the switch contacts. (Switch operates like points in an old car ignition distributor)
Just to clarify your statement about arcing caused by having shore power and generator power at the same time. I do it all the time, switching from my shore power which is connected to my small inverter generator to my big 4k generator when I need to power the microwave or such.

The act of changing from one source to the other will not cause arcing. What will cause arcing is if there is noticeable current flowing at the time of switching. If you happen to be pulling a number of amps through shore power and then fire up the generator, yes that can cause the arcing.

So yes you are correct that having the transfer switch change states can cause arcing but it will not arc if no current is being drawn. Just have everything turned off and you will be fine.

Jim

Old 07-24-2020, 06:52 AM   #11

If you want to temp fate keep doing it your way. I know from experience that you can have a transfer switch stick, due to the contacts sticking from arcing. Most of the time when this happens you will be in Boo Who Egypt with the closest repair shop 300 miles away...
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 02:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Ranger View Post
If you want to temp fate keep doing it your way. I know from experience that you can have a transfer switch stick, due to the contacts sticking from arcing. Most of the time when this happens you will be in Boo Who Egypt with the closest repair shop 300 miles away...
You peaked my curiosity about possible damage to my transfer switch by switching states while under a small load. I contacted Progressive Dynamics, the maker of my transfer switch, told them what I was doing, and asked if I could damage things. Their response:

"You should have zero issues with what you are doing. The contacts should not get damaged at all."

I feel better now.

Jim

Old 08-07-2020, 08:49 PM   #13

After traveling for a few weeks, I can confirm that our transfer switch is just getting stuck in Generator mode. A good smack fixes it. If we use the generator and then go for a road trip, we can usually get shore power right away. If we turn not the generator before hooking up shore power, we need force the transfer switch to switch back to the default.

Not sure the best way to fix it so it works as expected, but at least we know how to get out of it.