Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-29-2018, 12:34 PM   #1

O'kay.What's It Going To Cost

Looking forward to a couple of years to when my wife retires to joining you'all. Semi full time.........her & me and a dog named Boo (Golden Retriever) I'm a planner...........dreaming of the day.
I started out thinking TT. Thinking it would be nice to always have the TV available for side trips, shopping, etc etc.

The more I look though the idea of a Class C is becoming real attractive to me. I have spinal stenosis, scoliosis, 2 ruptured, 1 herniated disc, reconstructed ankle, replaced knee..............other than that I'm o'kay

I realize where a TT would have quite a bit of work kneeling, reaching etc so probably not the best for my Olympic style body. I think the Class C will be the easiest option for me.
Question (finally)
I would want a toad that I can pull flat. Probably a older model Honda CRV. What would it run to make a CRV "hook & go" for me? Is a 2007 Toy Highlander base model a good toad choice? (already have one)
Thanks in advance
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 12:46 PM   #2

Try www.motorhome.com/download-dinghy-guides/
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 02:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredLEO View Post
Looking forward to a couple of years to when my wife retires to joining you'all. Semi full time.........her & me and a dog named Boo (Golden Retriever) I'm a planner...........dreaming of the day.
I started out thinking TT. Thinking it would be nice to always have the TV available for side trips, shopping, etc etc.

The more I look though the idea of a Class C is becoming real attractive to me. I have spinal stenosis, scoliosis, 2 ruptured, 1 herniated disc, reconstructed ankle, replaced knee..............other than that I'm o'kay

I realize where a TT would have quite a bit of work kneeling, reaching etc so probably not the best for my Olympic style body. I think the Class C will be the easiest option for me.
Question (finally)
I would want a toad that I can pull flat. Probably a older model Honda CRV. What would it run to make a CRV "hook & go" for me? Is a 2007 Toy Highlander base model a good toad choice? (already have one)
Thanks in advance
What's it gonna cost? To purchase probably a arm and a leg...to get all the bugs worked out maybe a kidney or first born...
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 03:04 PM   #4

While I agree there's less bending and kneeling in a Class C, there's still some. Hooking up the sewer connection, bending over to open the doors to plug the RV in.

And the inevitable "Nutz - my last cold beer just rolled under the coach!" moments. Maybe you can train Boo to fetch on this one?
Old 06-29-2018, 04:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
While I agree there's less bending and kneeling in a Class C, there's still some. Hooking up the sewer connection, bending over to open the doors to plug the RV in.

And the inevitable "Nutz - my last cold beer just rolled under the coach!" moments. Maybe you can train Boo to fetch on this one?
Boo would probably puncture the can with her teeth and stand there lapping it up ..........wagging her tail to say "Thanks Dad"
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 09:05 PM   #6

My wife and I (both former LEO's) had a wonderful TT for almost 5 years. It served us well, but as the years passed, we wanted something a little 'easier' to use and set-up. So we purchased our 29MV in November. It is a great MH, but as with anything, there are a myriad of jobs, both large and small, that need done on a regular basis. Even setting up or tearing down. We divide our responsibilities and my wife does the leveling. You would think pushing a button would be it, but we always put pads and/or 2X10's down first, so one of us has to get down to slide them under the hydraulic feet first. Or if the site is really out of level, she'll put the 2X10's under the wheels and I'll drive over those until we're close, then we'll level it. I do the utilities and on the 29MV the sewer discharge is relatively close to the ground, so there is more kneeling and bending.

But, I will never forget the night we pulled into a campground in the northeast corner of PA in our TT during a torrential downpour. We sat in the cab of the truck for almost an hour until the storm ended. If we would have had our class C at the time, we would have pulled in, fired up the generator, made dinner, and then waited until the storm passed to level and hook up the utilities.

We have had Hondas for many years and were hoping to purchase one to use as our toad, but they are no longer towable on all fours, so we opted for a 2018 Chevy Equinox. So far, so good. Good luck!

Love To Travel 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 07:35 AM   #7

Retired Leo, I am no expert in your type of injuries but you may want to consider a small Class A type coach with a raised chassis. I have owned two large class A coaches and recently bought the Greyhawk 29 MV in hopes of having much less maintenance. The issue I am finding is the kneeling on the ground. The chassis is low and most outside storage cabinets are small and low to the ground. Just my two cents.
Also we tow a 2014 Honda CRV which was the last year that they built able to tow four down. Hope this helps. Jimmyd
Jimmyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 02:50 PM   #8

We have had a couple of different C-Class rigs over the years... Depending on the make and model, they put utilities and stuff in all kinds of different places - some are actually under the coach and you have to get on your hands/knees a lot with those. We picked our Seneca because it has all of the utilities in the outside storage bays that I can access by bending over.

I would suggest that you wander the RV lots and spend a few days looking at each one from the perspective of how much time do you have to spend on your knees! I know that it will never be Zero as I have the hardest time getting back up w/o something to assist me. I'm making me another pad for my knees, that doubles as a crutch to help me get back on my feet.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 02:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredLEO View Post
Boo would probably puncture the can with her teeth and stand there lapping it up ..........wagging her tail to say "Thanks Dad"
Our three will knock over mine... on purpose... to slurp it up!

Old 06-30-2018, 04:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
Our three will knock over mine... on purpose... to slurp it up!
I have met SoPoke’s three puppies, and yes, I believe they would.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 09:40 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
I have met SoPoke’s three puppies, and yes, I believe they would.
ahhh the good memories... of Ellie, Ned and Oliver tearing all over your yard, chasing everything in sight!!! and of the grand hospitality that Mark gave us.

BTW... When are you heading out West???

Old 07-01-2018, 01:21 AM   #12

RetiredLEO......I have a 2011 Honda CR-V automatic which can be flat-towed. I've been pricing tow bar/braking assemblies/install. Expect to pay around $4,500. I happen to like the Roadmaster tow bar, with their permanently mounted brake gizmo that is installed in the CR-V. However, a dealer was pushing me to the Blue Ox, another good brand that many people use. Roadmaster has built-in wiring channels that keep the various wires from having to be wrapped around the tow bar, for a neater look. RM also has an optional safety shield that mounts in front of the toad hood.
Dave T WA State is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 11:36 AM   #13

Steve, we are heading out next Saturday. It will take us a few weeks to get to New Mexico as we have stops along the way. I’ll reach out to you as we get closer. I am thinking Colorado and/or Utah after Labor Day.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 03:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
Steve, we are heading out next Saturday. It will take us a few weeks to get to New Mexico as we have stops along the way. I’ll reach out to you as we get closer. I am thinking Colorado and/or Utah after Labor Day.
Awesome!!!

Old 07-08-2018, 09:03 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave T WA State View Post
RetiredLEO......I have a 2011 Honda CR-V automatic which can be flat-towed. I've been pricing tow bar/braking assemblies/install. Expect to pay around $4,500. I happen to like the Roadmaster tow bar, with their permanently mounted brake gizmo that is installed in the CR-V. However, a dealer was pushing me to the Blue Ox, another good brand that many people use. Roadmaster has built-in wiring channels that keep the various wires from having to be wrapped around the tow bar, for a neater look. RM also has an optional safety shield that mounts in front of the toad hood.
Hi Dave T, I may have responded in another thread already. When I was getting ready to set my Cherokee up to tow, I called several dealers. What I found is they all seemed to charge ALOT and of course each said their system was "way better" than all of the competition. You need to make that decision yourself based on features and price. Spend time on etrailer and their video reviews. Helpful stuff here. In fact, consider talking to a reputable car mechanic or body shop rather than an RV dealer. 99% of the installation for towing is car related and quite frankly, I was NOT that impressed with the dealers I spoke with. I went with Blue Ox base plates because they are essentially invisible on my 2016 Trailhawk, but that was a personal preference. I went with Ready Brake, mostly because I liked the idea of a "surge brake"...again a personal preference. Plus, doing the install myself I was about $1700 all in for all of the parts. It took me a long day to remove the front bumper facias and such. This is why I suggest an automotive mechanic that you trust as they will know how to follow instructions on installing your base plates and likely everything else you need. Now...if you really like and trust your RV service department I am not dissing them, I just try and think outside of the box where it will save me a dime and keep the quality as good or better than conventional means. You have some great reputable dealers on the West side of the state, so please shop several and get lots of references from other local RVers you know.

Hope to meet you on the road one of these days. I was stationed in the Navy at Whidbey so very familiar with Mount Vernon. (well....as it was 40 years ago anyway.)
jd99336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 08:05 PM   #16

New class c owner

Had our new class c now for almost two months. After owning two travel trailers the motorhome makes it much easier on the wife , since i now have back issues, neuropathy, joint deterioration issues with severe arthritis and bone density concerns, that is enough crap to mention. I can just take my time to load food and some clothes and away we go pretty much now that we have things stocked up and figured most everything out.
Dgibbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 05:14 PM   #17

We have owned them all, each type of travel unit has its good and bad points. But we are now on our 3rd C class. I cannot kneel so I sit on the ground or a stool to do anything that
needs to be done when I can not stand up. A C class seems to be the best option for us.
We never flat tow but pull a small trailer with motorcycles. Look around and choose what you think will work for you. But don't wait forever as we all arn't getting any younger. We
are retired and spend about 6 months a year in our unit.
cheska is offline   Reply With Quote