Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-29-2018, 01:34 PM   #1

O'kay.What's It Going To Cost

Looking forward to a couple of years to when my wife retires to joining you'all. Semi full time.........her & me and a dog named Boo (Golden Retriever) I'm a planner...........dreaming of the day.
I started out thinking TT. Thinking it would be nice to always have the TV available for side trips, shopping, etc etc.

The more I look though the idea of a Class C is becoming real attractive to me. I have spinal stenosis, scoliosis, 2 ruptured, 1 herniated disc, reconstructed ankle, replaced knee..............other than that I'm o'kay

I realize where a TT would have quite a bit of work kneeling, reaching etc so probably not the best for my Olympic style body. I think the Class C will be the easiest option for me.
Question (finally)
I would want a toad that I can pull flat. Probably a older model Honda CRV. What would it run to make a CRV "hook & go" for me? Is a 2007 Toy Highlander base model a good toad choice? (already have one)
Thanks in advance

RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 01:46 PM   #2

Try www.motorhome.com/download-dinghy-guides/

Equal-I-Zerô WDH
Me, Momma and Charles (RIP buddy)
And introducing Sofie!! ;)
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 03:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredLEO View Post
Looking forward to a couple of years to when my wife retires to joining you'all. Semi full time.........her & me and a dog named Boo (Golden Retriever) I'm a planner...........dreaming of the day.
I started out thinking TT. Thinking it would be nice to always have the TV available for side trips, shopping, etc etc.

The more I look though the idea of a Class C is becoming real attractive to me. I have spinal stenosis, scoliosis, 2 ruptured, 1 herniated disc, reconstructed ankle, replaced knee..............other than that I'm o'kay

I realize where a TT would have quite a bit of work kneeling, reaching etc so probably not the best for my Olympic style body. I think the Class C will be the easiest option for me.
Question (finally)
I would want a toad that I can pull flat. Probably a older model Honda CRV. What would it run to make a CRV "hook & go" for me? Is a 2007 Toy Highlander base model a good toad choice? (already have one)
Thanks in advance
What's it gonna cost? To purchase probably a arm and a leg...to get all the bugs worked out maybe a kidney or first born...
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 04:04 PM   #4

While I agree there's less bending and kneeling in a Class C, there's still some. Hooking up the sewer connection, bending over to open the doors to plug the RV in.

And the inevitable "Nutz - my last cold beer just rolled under the coach!" moments. Maybe you can train Boo to fetch on this one?
Old 06-29-2018, 05:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
While I agree there's less bending and kneeling in a Class C, there's still some. Hooking up the sewer connection, bending over to open the doors to plug the RV in.

And the inevitable "Nutz - my last cold beer just rolled under the coach!" moments. Maybe you can train Boo to fetch on this one?
Boo would probably puncture the can with her teeth and stand there lapping it up ..........wagging her tail to say "Thanks Dad"
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 10:05 PM   #6

My wife and I (both former LEO's) had a wonderful TT for almost 5 years. It served us well, but as the years passed, we wanted something a little 'easier' to use and set-up. So we purchased our 29MV in November. It is a great MH, but as with anything, there are a myriad of jobs, both large and small, that need done on a regular basis. Even setting up or tearing down. We divide our responsibilities and my wife does the leveling. You would think pushing a button would be it, but we always put pads and/or 2X10's down first, so one of us has to get down to slide them under the hydraulic feet first. Or if the site is really out of level, she'll put the 2X10's under the wheels and I'll drive over those until we're close, then we'll level it. I do the utilities and on the 29MV the sewer discharge is relatively close to the ground, so there is more kneeling and bending.

But, I will never forget the night we pulled into a campground in the northeast corner of PA in our TT during a torrential downpour. We sat in the cab of the truck for almost an hour until the storm ended. If we would have had our class C at the time, we would have pulled in, fired up the generator, made dinner, and then waited until the storm passed to level and hook up the utilities.

We have had Hondas for many years and were hoping to purchase one to use as our toad, but they are no longer towable on all fours, so we opted for a 2018 Chevy Equinox. So far, so good. Good luck!

Love To Travel 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 08:35 AM   #7

Retired Leo, I am no expert in your type of injuries but you may want to consider a small Class A type coach with a raised chassis. I have owned two large class A coaches and recently bought the Greyhawk 29 MV in hopes of having much less maintenance. The issue I am finding is the kneeling on the ground. The chassis is low and most outside storage cabinets are small and low to the ground. Just my two cents.
Also we tow a 2014 Honda CRV which was the last year that they built able to tow four down. Hope this helps. Jimmyd
Jimmyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 03:50 PM   #8

We have had a couple of different C-Class rigs over the years... Depending on the make and model, they put utilities and stuff in all kinds of different places - some are actually under the coach and you have to get on your hands/knees a lot with those. We picked our Seneca because it has all of the utilities in the outside storage bays that I can access by bending over.

I would suggest that you wander the RV lots and spend a few days looking at each one from the perspective of how much time do you have to spend on your knees! I know that it will never be Zero as I have the hardest time getting back up w/o something to assist me. I'm making me another pad for my knees, that doubles as a crutch to help me get back on my feet.

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 03:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredLEO View Post
Boo would probably puncture the can with her teeth and stand there lapping it up ..........wagging her tail to say "Thanks Dad"
Our three will knock over mine... on purpose... to slurp it up!

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 05:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
Our three will knock over mine... on purpose... to slurp it up!
I have met SoPoke’s three puppies, and yes, I believe they would.

Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote