Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-12-2021, 07:47 AM   #41

The LCI support website has installation, service and owner's manuals for Kwikee steps plus lots of troubleshooting info. They can be found at this link. https://support.lci1.com/kwikee-steps
Old 05-12-2021, 08:10 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvspl View Post
The LCI support website has installation, service and owner's manuals for Kwikee steps plus lots of troubleshooting info. They can be found at this link. https://support.lci1.com/kwikee-steps
There's also an app that I've found helpful at times.

And LCI support has been pretty good over the phone in my experience.

I'm thinking the first thing the tech will have you check is that fuse in line with the switch though. That particular circuit is not overly complicated, and can be tested relatively easily, especially given the schematic provided before.

What I would do next is find that fuse (5-6A) and test it; replace if necessary. Then I might disco the wires for the switch from the control board harness and "jump" them to see if I could get the step to stay out. If that works, you know there's a problem in that circuit (2 wires, a switch and a fuse). You already know the switch is okay (presumably, since you jumped it out of the circuit, but you could test the switch easily with a meter). When you find the fuse, that will remove that variable. Then the only things left are the wires themselves, and the control box internals. If you jump the wires right at the control box and it doesn't work, you'll know it's an internal problem with the control unit. I'd still run a continuity check on the switch circuit wires as well as the switch itself just to completely eliminate them as an issue.

If it's the fuse, something popped it, so you very well could have a wire or switch issue anyway.

FWIW, I've read of some people putting in a complete disconnect switch of their own. This switch would completely enable/disable the entire step. I'm sure there's a point at which I would get fed up with the step and consider installing something like this...

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 08:26 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev View Post
Thank-you, appreciate the recommendations. Will dig in more this weekend to trace the wires from switch.
Will report back if or not I get it resolved.

Mine is annoyingly intermittent now. Sometimes the override works, sometimes not.

Reading the Amazon Reviews on the replacement Control Box, it's probably that that'll need replacing. LCI has it for almost $300 on their website and $120 off Amazon.

I'll wait until mine fails completely.
Old 05-21-2021, 02:53 PM   #44
Nev

Hi There, Step switch problem resolved. Found a corroded wire connection causing issue. Thanks all for your assistance! Now, just waiting for lockdown restrictions to end to start camping...
Nev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 03:21 PM   #45

Fuse on steps

Yes, the fuse is under the steps, when we first picked up our coach the steps didn’t work, so they replaced the fuse, I asked them to show me where it was located so I would know for the future.
Retired mountain folk is offline   Reply With Quote