Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-03-2016, 09:38 AM   #1

Onan Generator

I have a Greyhawk 2009 with a Onan generator, Problems I have had are sometimes after I shut the unit off it will trip the breaker on the generator, if I start the generator seems like you have to crank quite a while other times it will start quick, and when you shut it off it shakes the coach a lot.Worked on large generators years ago but never one this small just seems not right the way it acts. Has 150 hrs
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 02:56 PM   #2

Well i havent had any problems with mine tripping the breaker but mine does need to crank a while before starting. I assume it takes a while to prime the lines up with fuel. Mine also shakes when shutting off. I need to hold the off button for a few seconds until it completly shuts down other wise it will stay running. Im also gonna assume that is normal for a carbureted air cooled motor. They run hot especially when parked so when you kill the spark with the shut off switch the motor will diesel and ignite the fuel because its so hot.
Greyhawk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 04:51 PM   #3

I'm not a genny expert, but regarding the circuit breaker, breakers get weak with age and use. So you may need to replace it. 150 hours on a 7 yr old MH is not many hours. A genny should be exercised at least 1 hour each month.

Regarding hard starting, could be a few things. Have you changed the spark plug and wires, make sure to have the correct plug gap. Fuel can also play a big part too. Modern fuel is full of ethanol, it absorbs it's mass in water, it gums up carbs very easily. On a MH I would make it common practice to use a fuel stabilizer or ethanol free gas.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 04:59 AM   #4

Long crank time makes me think the Onan isn't being primed prior to the starting attempt. On mine push the start/stop switch to the stop position and hold it to prime. Then try the start.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 05:45 AM   #5

Actually the manual for my Onan states it needs to run 2 hours UNDER HALF LOAD. Maybe its different for older models, but you may be surprised by what you find in your manual.

At any rate, just running it isn't enough. Putting some load on it helps exercise the windings or some such thing.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 07:46 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by edatlanta View Post
Long crank time makes me think the Onan isn't being primed prior to the starting attempt. On mine push the start/stop switch to the stop position and hold it to prime. Then try the start.
When cold, I have to hold down the prime switch on my Onan for at least 10-14 seconds before trying to start it. Even then it sometimes requires a second priming of 5-6 seconds to catch.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 09:07 AM   #7

Mine is that way too, sometimes it will try to start then I have to start it again.
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote