Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-08-2015, 07:00 AM   #1

Talking ONAN Generator 4000 won't stay running

Hi all. Getting my first taste of an RV and loving it. I have a 99 Jayco wide body 24'. It only has 32K miles on it and is beautiful condition. I am slowly getting everything to run as you know its been sitting around a while.
One of my big quests now is the generator won't stay running.
I have gas, the oil level looks good, the RV is level, I checked gas line, plenty incoming. I can keep it running a min or so if I keep pushing the start button when it is about to die. Same results using the inside or outside start switch. I flipped the breaker switch to off, same results. It's almost like something is telling it to shut down. ???
Any suggestions? Thanks Len
ldworak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 07:03 AM   #2

Two possibilities:
1) It is an On Demand setup so that if it is not needed, it will shut down and re-start if needed.
2) It shares the fuel tank with the engine. But its pickup tube is higher so that the genset will not leave you unable to move.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 07:08 AM   #3

So this On Demand setup. Does that mean I need to have something turned on when I try to start it? I shouldn't have to use the Start button?
Pulled gas line off at carb and plenty of it coming in. ??
Old 07-08-2015, 07:23 AM   #4

I'm not totally clear on exactly how the manufacturers configured the systems where a genset runs when the demand is high enough that the inverter and batteries won't cover the load, but you are not on shore power....

I've never owned anything with that complicated a 120V electrical system.

Luxury cars and their overkill 12V systems? Several. My house uses a manual transfer switch when I have to drag the backup genset out of the barn. I use a 2kw genset with the TT just to keep the battery charged.

So, if you can, find a manual for your RV that explains how 120VAC is supplied under what circumstances.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 07:43 AM   #5

Since it's a 99 model, I don't think it's an on demand type system. My 2000 wasn't and neither is my 2011. There have been reports of the fuel pump going bad and needing replacement. The normal typical failure is that the generator will run for 5 minutes then quit. I am also assuming that the gas tank is above the 1/4 full mark. I have an issue with mine that it runs fine parked, shuts off a minute after traveling. Last night I checked the connections, filled them with dielectric grease, and overfilled the oil by just a bit. On a 10 minute drive, it stayed running. It is definitely frustrating trying to figure out the quirks with these things.
Wertles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 11:27 AM   #6

Once again, I would recommend Sea Foam. Fuel sitting in line and gumming injectors or carb has nothing to do with how fresh the fuel is in the tank. To put away correctly or to be constantly maintained the generator should be run once a month.

I am not associated with Sea Foam in anyway, except to be a very satisfied customer.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 12:04 PM   #7

I'll jump in too and recommend running non-ethanol gas if you can get it where you are. The ethanol gas out there is well known to "gum up" smaller engines... At work, and personally, we run non-ethanol thru any small engine (chainsaws, lawnmowers, weedeaters, etc.) and it has really helped. Perhaps it will help with the generator? YMMV. 😀
Old 07-13-2015, 12:44 PM   #8

Have to agree with rgolding. Sounds like it could be a varnished carb. When the engine quits, do you get an error code? The red light on the start/stop switch will flash. The number of flashes corresponds to the error code. If it is a fuel related code, then you probably have a carb issue.
bgermane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 01:17 PM   #9

When I first got my Greyhawk, a used 2012, it had a slight generator problem similar to yours. Sometimes I would start it and it would run all day. The next time I would start it, it would run for 10 minutes and then cut off and wouldn't restart for several hours. What I did was purchase some Stabil Marine and ran it in the fuel tank. It's good for the engine and generator. I, knock on wood, haven't had the issue since then. I'm not saying this will fix ur problem but it couldn't hurt. Good luck and I hope you get it figured out!!
vdubee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 01:03 PM   #10

Well I'm back at it. When I spray a continual mist of seafoam treatment into the air cleaner it will stay running. Can't figure out any code when it shuts down. Would this mean carb issue or control board issue? Thanks Len
Old 08-13-2015, 02:45 PM   #11

You mentioned the MH had been sitting for sometime. I would bet the carb needs to been rebuilt/cleaned. Modern ethonal fuel is horible on engines that do not run regularly. the init is old enough, that the califonia carb rules i dont think were in effect so you should be able to pull the carb and clean it. If you can try to run ethonal free gas. Especially in the fall before putting it away for the winter. Also start the Gen set at least once a month.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 11:02 AM   #12

Since I created a cluster with my electrical system, the generator will have to wait for a while. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Old 09-15-2015, 12:31 PM   #13

Post in Antique Engines Antique Tractors Steam Engines and Old Iron under the Onan Generators section. Those guys can get you to the source of the issue.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 06:41 PM   #14

New fuel pump worth a try

I had intermittent Onan 4000 generator shutdown and failure to start problems for about a year. This unit is in my 2013 Jayco Greyhawk 31DS. 6 months ago, I took the motorhome to Cummins for an evaluation. They could not duplicate the problem. Then recently the non-starting and shutdowns became more pronounced. Another trip to the Cummins shop yielded a diagnosis of bad fuel pump. This appears to have solved the problem. So if you are having generator running problems, a new fuel pump is worth a try. The pump is only about $65 plus $10 for a new fuel filter. Installation depends on how buried the unit is in your installation. Well worth a try for intermittent problems.

Cheers,
Northwest Bob

2013 Jayco Greyhawk 31DS
2002 Honda Accord towed, ACME tow dolly
Northwest Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 07:16 PM   #15

how long did it sit? how fresh is the gas? if that gas is 2 years old or older it is best to extract it.. then put in fresh..

I would just get a new carb for it and a new fuel filter and you will be good to go... if that doesn't solve it .. then it is the pump...

but it sounds like you are getting fuel....

it isn't anything electrical if you can keep it running by spraying it...

I have also read that if the oil level is to high it will stop running as well so take the level down a bit past full when hot...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 12:02 AM   #16

It sure sounds like a fuel problem in the carb. It's already been said, but one the best things you can do for your generator is run it often. I frequently camp in campgrounds where am hooked up to shore power and the neighbors would not like the noise so I can't run the genny.. but what I will do sometimes is just let it run when i'm driving down the road so it gets some exercise. I also agree with fuel additive and no ethanol gas. In our area no ethanol gas is really pricey, so I'll fill the tank with that spendy stuff before i park it in the winter and let the engine and ginny run for a while and get the ethanol out of the system.
Bluesky46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:31 AM   #17

It has already been said but to summarize:

1) The gen starts and runs (normal I assume) so unlikely it is the ignition side of the equation.
2) You don't mention if the generator starts making power during this cycle. If it does, you have eliminated a particular genset type error shutting it down. If not....we just don't know.
3) You said that spraying a "mist of seafoam" kept it running....again, this seems to point toward fuel system and as mentioned before, likely you have a varnished carb or bad fuel pump. It would seem that your carb bowl has fuel in it that is managing to trickle in after shut down. When you start it up, it is draining the bowl (do these Onan's have a traditional float and bowl arrangement??? I am not sure), then your engine is starved for fuel, thus shutting down.
4) You mention you can keep it running while pushing the start button. This baffles me unless perhaps depressing the start button keeps the fuel pump pressurized whereas normally it would shut down and be gravity feed. Not sure on that one.

Isn't this fun (NOT!!!) Hope you can solve your issue cheap and easy.
jd99336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 09:05 AM   #18

Had same problem with my 5500 Onan it was the fuel pump.It seemed like there was an idiot that flashed when the problem occurred.So many flashes indicated what the problem was.Had 600 running hours when it failed, went a head an adjusted the valves also.Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Cactus 011.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 04:25 PM   #19

ONAN Generator 4000 won't stay running

did you find a solution?
i have one doing exact same thing. been working fine.
cranked it up today after sitting for 2 weeks...won't stay running unless you hold start button.
Justin Burrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 04:44 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Burrows View Post
did you find a solution?
i have one doing exact same thing. been working fine.
cranked it up today after sitting for 2 weeks...won't stay running unless you hold start button.
Not sure if we're having the same issue, but I recently had an issue with my Onan 5500. It'd start with no problem, then shut itself down. This happened several times, as I tried to narrow in on the issue. It did flash a code from the start button (trying to recall, it might have been a 1-4 for over frequency). What solved the issue for me was pulling shore power entirely from the side, and restarting the generator. That seemed to fix it for me.

Have you checked for a fault code?

2016 Ram 3500 4X4 Dually, 6.7 Cummins, 3.73
2017 Jayco North Point 377RLBH, Cummins/Onan Gen
JetTech is offline   Reply With Quote