Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-28-2015, 09:57 AM   #1

Onan generator problems fixed.

I was having an issue with my Onan generator shutting off while driving. While parked, I it would run forever but get a mile or two down the road, it would shut off. I tried overfilling the oil a bit and yes, the gas tank was full. Still no better. I went to some RV fix it guys that I know and they couldn't figure it out. I was getting ready for a big trip in some heat so I thought I would bypass the whole thing and put the cargo tray on the rear hitch, run the cord along the frame and bring out the Honda 3000 generator. A few miles down the road, this too popped the breaker on the Honda and no electricity. Anyway, LOOONG story short, it was the AC causing all the problems. I won't get into the details on how this was figured out as just doing the fix will be faster than reading how this all got figured out.

While driving down the road, the bumps were having their way with the little blade connectors that send signals to the thermostat controls. Hit a bump, interrupt the current, the AC shuts off momentarily, when it tries to restart without waiting the 5 minute cool down, it overloads the circuit and things shut off.

Fix: $3.00 and 10 minutes or less of time. Remove the AC return filter cover (some models may need to have the whole cover removed). Find the control wires and blade connectors. One by one, remove the blade connector. With pliers of your choosing, very gently squeeze make them smaller so they will be tighter. Be careful not to squeeze them too tight as you will not be able to get them back on. Next, fill the connector with dielectric grease and reinstall. Do this to the remaining blade connectors and all other low voltage connectors (mine had one other connecting harness).

Since this fix, I have gone 300 miles on this trip and the generator has not shut off and its been nice and comfortable in the coach despite the 90 degree heat. I constantly hear of people having an issue with their generators and this may be one of the more common problems that gets overlooked since everyone is focusing on the generator.
Wertles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 09:38 PM   #2

Thank you good information.
Old skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 03:25 AM   #3

This is what my Onan dealer was fearing the unit was doing. They found issues with my fuel pump and got it more reliable, but I have had it still kick off mysteriously on this trip(FL to AK) when I was in the hotter climates running the AC. I will take a look in the morning and tighten the blade connectors. Didn't pack Dielectric grease, but may be stopping at a store tomorrow for wiper blades anyway.
2012 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid (our TOAD on a DEMCO Dolly)
DW, DSx2, DDx2 Catx2 Dog
Tampa Bay Area of FL
CarlB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 06:35 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlB View Post
This is what my Onan dealer was fearing the unit was doing. They found issues with my fuel pump and got it more reliable, but I have had it still kick off mysteriously on this trip(FL to AK) when I was in the hotter climates running the AC. I will take a look in the morning and tighten the blade connectors. Didn't pack Dielectric grease, but may be stopping at a store tomorrow for wiper blades anyway.
I was just going the extra mile with the grease. With all the bumps, it can't be a bad idea. If you can't find a tube of it (Lowes decided it wasn't important enough to carry) whoever sells headlights will have the little packets for $1.
Wertles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:42 PM   #5

Great info its crazy how hard to diagnosis problems are always cause by something so simple.
Greyhawk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 11:16 PM   #6

Is it plugged in?

SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote