Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-01-2017, 06:29 PM   #1

one 12v to two 6v conversion on 31FS

So the one 12v (85 amp hour) house battery is not going to cut it. We are a family of 5 and mostly dry camp. I'm SURE others around here have already converted to a two 6v battery (225 amp hours) set up and I'd like to see your pictures and hear about your setup please!!

I'm aware there is only room in the slide out battery tray for one battery, but there is room behind the tray that could be utilized. I'm imaging pulling out the existing sliding tray and building a wider tray for the the two battery set up.

Fire away!
Various arsenal of 2 wheel death machines
Back the Blue
glamisbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 06:37 PM   #2

I couldnít find a dual battery tray that would accommodate two batteries so I put 2 age batteries in. One in the battery tray and one in the front storage compartment. I moved all the battery connections including relay, and circuit breakers that were attached to the back of the battery tray to the compartment towards the rear of the rv. I also added a battery selector switch. All the components were getting badly weathered and Iíd like them dry and easily accessible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hivoltage98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 06:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivoltage98 View Post
I couldnít find a dual battery tray that would accommodate two batteries so I put 2 age batteries in. One in the battery tray and one in the front storage compartment. I moved all the battery connections including relay, and circuit breakers that were attached to the back of the battery tray to the compartment towards the rear of the rv. I also added a battery selector switch. All the components were getting badly weathered and Iíd like them dry and easily accessible.

Thanks. So I'm guessing you did a two 12v set up since you installed a battery selector? Or do you mean a battery disconnect?
Back the Blue
Old 12-01-2017, 06:52 PM   #4

one 12v to two 6v conversion on 31FS

I did a dual 12v setup. The selector switch can disconnect, isolate and combine batteries.

Hivoltage98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 01:03 AM   #5

Hivoltage98 if you are able to post some pictures we would really appreciate that. I was surprised that my 2017 31fs didn't have 2 batteries. My 96 Jayco had two; one in the compartment and another in the front passenger engine compartment. My first thought was they did it to save weight. Same goes for no spare tire. Plus saves money too I guess. I don't dry camp that much but would like the option to do it.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 02:14 PM   #6

we don't do a lot of dry camping, but even then, a single group 27 isn't enough at times.

I think we need a two pronged approach: solar as well as a second battery.

Someone here moved both batteries to one of the compartments. He moved both to keep the wire lengths consistent. He also added a lot of structural reinforcements to be able to hold the weight.

My RV repair guy said that he put some sealed lead acid batteries in the coach as they require no ventilation. I'm still a little squeamish and would probably do something so they can live outside.
Old 12-03-2017, 02:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamisbound View Post
So the one 12v (85 amp hour) house battery is not going to cut it. We are a family of 5 and mostly dry camp. I'm SURE others around here have already converted to a two 6v battery (225 amp hours) set up and I'd like to see your pictures and hear about your setup please!!
Others will have to help you with placement but I wanted to make sure you realized two 6v batteries connected as 12v will only have the same Ah rating as one of the batteries. You add the volts but amps remain constant.
Old 12-03-2017, 05:37 PM   #8

As long as you're digging into your battery wiring, put a couple of solar panels on your roof. They're like magic--your battery problems will disappear!
Old 12-03-2017, 07:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen_C View Post
Others will have to help you with placement but I wanted to make sure you realized two 6v batteries connected as 12v will only have the same Ah rating as one of the batteries. You add the volts but amps remain constant.
I'm definitely aware of that, but thanks for checking to make sure. And I think I've already figured out my placement. I'll be removing the existing slide out battery tray completely and fabbing something complete new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaacs View Post
As long as you're digging into your battery wiring, put a couple of solar panels on your roof. They're like magic--your battery problems will disappear!
Definitely interested in doing that as well.
Back the Blue