Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-01-2017, 06:29 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Ramona
Posts: 120
one 12v to two 6v conversion on 31FS

So the one 12v (85 amp hour) house battery is not going to cut it. We are a family of 5 and mostly dry camp. I'm SURE others around here have already converted to a two 6v battery (225 amp hours) set up and I'd like to see your pictures and hear about your setup please!!

I'm aware there is only room in the slide out battery tray for one battery, but there is room behind the tray that could be utilized. I'm imaging pulling out the existing sliding tray and building a wider tray for the the two battery set up.

Fire away!
__________________
The Bailey crew 5
2016 Jayco 31FS with full body paint
2016 Universal enclosed trailer for hauling the toys
Various arsenal of 2 wheel death machines
Back the Blue
glamisbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 06:37 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Honey Brook
Posts: 149
I couldnít find a dual battery tray that would accommodate two batteries so I put 2 age batteries in. One in the battery tray and one in the front storage compartment. I moved all the battery connections including relay, and circuit breakers that were attached to the back of the battery tray to the compartment towards the rear of the rv. I also added a battery selector switch. All the components were getting badly weathered and Iíd like them dry and easily accessible.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hivoltage98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 06:49 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Ramona
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivoltage98 View Post
I couldnít find a dual battery tray that would accommodate two batteries so I put 2 age batteries in. One in the battery tray and one in the front storage compartment. I moved all the battery connections including relay, and circuit breakers that were attached to the back of the battery tray to the compartment towards the rear of the rv. I also added a battery selector switch. All the components were getting badly weathered and Iíd like them dry and easily accessible.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks. So I'm guessing you did a two 12v set up since you installed a battery selector? Or do you mean a battery disconnect?
__________________
The Bailey crew 5
2016 Jayco 31FS with full body paint
2016 Universal enclosed trailer for hauling the toys
Various arsenal of 2 wheel death machines
Back the Blue
glamisbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 06:52 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Honey Brook
Posts: 149
one 12v to two 6v conversion on 31FS

I did a dual 12v setup. The selector switch can disconnect, isolate and combine batteries.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hivoltage98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 01:03 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Springfield
Posts: 558
Hivoltage98 if you are able to post some pictures we would really appreciate that. I was surprised that my 2017 31fs didn't have 2 batteries. My 96 Jayco had two; one in the compartment and another in the front passenger engine compartment. My first thought was they did it to save weight. Same goes for no spare tire. Plus saves money too I guess. I don't dry camp that much but would like the option to do it.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 02:14 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Denver
Posts: 4,299
we don't do a lot of dry camping, but even then, a single group 27 isn't enough at times.

I think we need a two pronged approach: solar as well as a second battery.

Someone here moved both batteries to one of the compartments. He moved both to keep the wire lengths consistent. He also added a lot of structural reinforcements to be able to hold the weight.

My RV repair guy said that he put some sealed lead acid batteries in the coach as they require no ventilation. I'm still a little squeamish and would probably do something so they can live outside.
__________________
2016 Greyhawk 31FK
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 02:55 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Allen_C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: INDIANAPOLIS
Posts: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamisbound View Post
So the one 12v (85 amp hour) house battery is not going to cut it. We are a family of 5 and mostly dry camp. I'm SURE others around here have already converted to a two 6v battery (225 amp hours) set up and I'd like to see your pictures and hear about your setup please!!
Others will have to help you with placement but I wanted to make sure you realized two 6v batteries connected as 12v will only have the same Ah rating as one of the batteries. You add the volts but amps remain constant.
__________________
2016 Alante 31v
Allen_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 05:37 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Wheatfield, New York
Posts: 1,073
As long as you're digging into your battery wiring, put a couple of solar panels on your roof. They're like magic--your battery problems will disappear!
__________________
2009 Jayco Jay Feather 17C 130W Solar, 2021 F150 2.7L Eco Boost, 2021 Toyota Highlander
Isaacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 07:58 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Ramona
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen_C View Post
Others will have to help you with placement but I wanted to make sure you realized two 6v batteries connected as 12v will only have the same Ah rating as one of the batteries. You add the volts but amps remain constant.
I'm definitely aware of that, but thanks for checking to make sure. And I think I've already figured out my placement. I'll be removing the existing slide out battery tray completely and fabbing something complete new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaacs View Post
As long as you're digging into your battery wiring, put a couple of solar panels on your roof. They're like magic--your battery problems will disappear!
Definitely interested in doing that as well.
__________________
The Bailey crew 5
2016 Jayco 31FS with full body paint
2016 Universal enclosed trailer for hauling the toys
Various arsenal of 2 wheel death machines
Back the Blue
glamisbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Jayco, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.