Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-22-2017, 02:33 PM   #1

2001 Jayco Eagle "M-232 U" question

Hello Forum,

I never had an RV before and I am planning to buy a used Class B or small Class C motorhome.

Right now I am interested in a 2001 Jayco Eagle "M-232 U" with 63,000 miles, and I would very much appreciate to get specific and also general feedback on buying such a vehicle. This is a vehicle on a Ford E350 chassis with a V-10 engine.

Does anybody here know anything about this model and can recommend (or not recommend) it, or give me specific tips?

I have not seen the vehicle in real life yet (it's a two hour drive from my home). The pictures in the ad look good (oftentimes very deceiving in my experience), and the description is very detailed (considered to be a good sign in my opinion).

Thanks for your help!

Nick

PS: I just download the 2003 Jayco Greyhawk brochure from their website (this is the "oldest" brochure offered there), and can see that the 2003 Jayco Greyhawk "23 RK" has an absolut identical floorplan. Is it possible that the Greyhawk was the successor to the Eagle?
desertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 03:04 PM   #2

I am not sure if they made any changes to that v10 engine for 2001. I have a 2000 F350 V10 that I now use just as a snow plow truck on our private road, the problem is the block is aluminum and exhaust manifold is cast iron. These engines had a problem where the manifold studs would snap off causing an exhaust leak, was told it is due to the difference in materials iron/aluminum expansion at cool down causing them to break. Dealer wanted $1300 to repair each side but said they will snap again. Other than the sound of the leak its been a great engine, lots of power and still no leaks at almost 200k miles
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 03:56 PM   #3

Thanks. I found tons of reports and videos from V10 owners - also with newer than 2001 vehicles - with the same problem. Sounds not very encouraging to buy such a Ford.

If I were to look at the vehicle anyway - is there an easy way to find out whether some of these studs are broken or loose? Are the manifolds more or less easy to find under the vehicle?
desertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 04:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertman View Post
Thanks. I found tons of reports and videos from V10 owners - also with newer than 2001 vehicles - with the same problem. Sounds not very encouraging to buy such a Ford.

If I were to look at the vehicle anyway - is there an easy way to find out whether some of these studs are broken or loose? Are the manifolds more or less easy to find under the vehicle?
Once you start it check both sides, the manifold is located behind the plastic wheel well liner but you can see it and will hear it if its leaking. Its hard to tell by just looking since the studs will snap inside the manifold. Here is a repair video link that will give you a better idea of the location and what is involved to repair it.

https://youtu.be/PnXu1tLJT8M
Old 12-11-2017, 01:49 PM   #5

Don't know about the 2001, but our friends just bought a 1998 Eagle from a local. It has 60,000 miles on it and is in really great shape. Even the outside stickers are intact. No slides but roomy. About the only thing they have to do is change out the mattress, and there's a crack in the shower wall that is taped with waterproof tape - I would think that if they can, they'd spend the money to have it replaced. AC and heat work perfectly, all appliances work well, electric steps operational, engine purrs. Only mentioning all this because they bought this motorhome for $9,000; so in our minds, it wasn't much of a risk!
1980 Shasta 21; 1981 Coleman Tent Trailer
1978 VW Westfalia; lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:17 PM   #6

Was that not the years V10's were blowing out spark plugs due to only 4 threads per hole ?
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 09:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by che57vy View Post
Was that not the years V10's were blowing out spark plugs due to only 4 threads per hole ?
Never had any problems with the plugs in the v10, I remember the 5.4 had that problem around the same years.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertman View Post
Hello Forum,

I never had an RV before and I am planning to buy a used Class B or small Class C motorhome.

Right now I am interested in a 2001 Jayco Eagle "M-232 U" with 63,000 miles, and I would very much appreciate to get specific and also general feedback on buying such a vehicle. This is a vehicle on a Ford E350 chassis with a V-10 engine.

Does anybody here know anything about this model and can recommend (or not recommend) it, or give me specific tips?

I have not seen the vehicle in real life yet (it's a two hour drive from my home). The pictures in the ad look good (oftentimes very deceiving in my experience), and the description is very detailed (considered to be a good sign in my opinion).

Thanks for your help!

Nick

PS: I just download the 2003 Jayco Greyhawk brochure from their website (this is the "oldest" brochure offered there), and can see that the 2003 Jayco Greyhawk "23 RK" has an absolut identical floorplan. Is it possible that the Greyhawk was the successor to the Eagle?
If you are really serious about the purchase and have spoken to the owner by phone ask them to meet you half way (in Prescott) for an inspection prior to purchase;

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ted-36094.html

If the unit is in Phoenix we can perform the inspection for $50.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote