Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-14-2013, 10:43 AM   #1

Opinions on buying a motorhome in Canada?

We have found an awesome deal our dream motorhome, but it is in Canada. We live in Tennessee But, it is a great deal and a new one. My question is, are we nuts? Are there some crazy rules here we don't get, like the threads are backwards on plumbing fittings? Would there be an issue with warranty work buying 3000 miles from the dealership in another country? I see where many Canadians import from US but haven't found the opposite. I know the MH is built to Canadian Standards, but some of those requirements are great for us since we camp in the winter so for us that would be awesome. I am at a loss and could use your help before I end up like those I read about and feel so sorry for! Thanks in advance!
Steve&Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:56 PM   #2

Why don't you contact JAYCO and ask them what the Canadian standards are. I really don't think you will a whole lot of difference between US and CAN. The only issue I could see you having trouble with is taxes.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:04 PM   #3

Hi Steve and Kim... as Canadians, I can tell you that there are no surprises in store for you. These units are all manufactured in the U.S. and the only "Canadianization" might be that some of the stickers/manuals may be in both English and French. The winterization package is the exact same as the one you would get in Minnesota where it is as cold or colder than most parts of Canada.

You might want to contact your Customs people and check on importation duties when bringing into the US from Canada.

Good luck... Bob
boclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:29 AM   #4

Just remember that the speedo and odometer will read in METRIC rather than miles..
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:36 AM   #5

What model

Quote:
Originally Posted by boclark View Post
Hi Steve and Kim... as Canadians, I can tell you that there are no surprises in store for you. These units are all manufactured in the U.S. and the only "Canadianization" might be that some of the stickers/manuals may be in both English and French. The winterization package is the exact same as the one you would get in Minnesota where it is as cold or colder than most parts of Canada.

You might want to contact your Customs people and check on importation duties when bringing into the US from Canada.

Good luck... Bob
What model are you looking for in Canada
moonraker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:50 PM   #6

thanks all for the feedback. We have since had to reassess, as in lots of roadblocks that were very costly. We decided to save the $$$ for travel to and from for a trip this summer. Going to drive a Greyhawk 31DS tomorrow (had our heart set on a Melbourne but didn't work out). Did learn that if you're the least bit claustrophobic the Melbourne 28F might not be the best way to go! Awesome ride but the wall behind the stove/refrig kinda got to me. REally, Really glad you all are here. now I know why so many of what we tent people called 'you camper people' want wifi...in case something goes wrong us newbies can log on and ask for help
Steve&Kim is offline   Reply With Quote