Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-20-2020, 06:00 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepnRv View Post
Exactly, they're not cheap! Lol
I would go and check the speed rating of your MH tires and also your trailer tires... that should give you some absolute limits... the rest is all up to the driver.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 06:01 PM   #22

JeepnRv - LOL! I figured it would be something like that :-)
I’m guessing some of your first trips will be to Ouray, CO and Moab, UT. I am heading back to Ouray late summer to run Black Bear Pass and re-run a few of the favorites. We were out there in June of 2018 and ran many of the passes but Black Bear was still closed. Moab was awesome as well but I don’t get as crazy as I used to!
Attached Thumbnails
7C06BC9E-5CC0-4C15-8463-5F648FE9F95B.jpg  
Frodo13056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 06:08 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo13056 View Post
I’m guessing some of your first trips will be to Ouray, CO and Moab, UT. I am heading back to Ouray late summer to run Black Bear Pass and re-run a few of the favorites. We were out there in June of 2018 and ran many of the passes but Black Bear was still closed. Moab was awesome as well but I don’t get as crazy as I used to!
Awesome! Unfortunately not this year. I had no plans on having a RV until we went to the RV show to look for stuff for our travel trailer and walked out owners lol

So our major vacations are already booked and we don't have the days to go out this year.

I am going to royal blue in Tennessee over good Friday weekend now though!
JeepnRv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 07:10 PM   #24

Quote:
Ahhhh some fun trails!! Black Bear, Imogene and Poughkeepsie gulch, Engineer pass... have done them. Black bear will not be open until later in the summer... well worth the wait!

And Moab is slowly turning awful... the new Moab is going to be Hurricane UT. The Moab city government is working hard at stopping anything that burns gasoline/diesel from running on anything not pavement. I have worked "Easter Jeep Safari" for many years... and now don't have any interest in going there... but we will be in Sand Hollow State park this weekend (Hurricane UT)

Quote:
Awesome! Unfortunately not this year. I had no plans on having a RV until we went to the RV show to look for stuff for our travel trailer and walked out owners lol

So our major vacations are already booked and we don't have the days to go out this year.

When you plan to be in CO or UT or AZ... and want to wheel... PM us..

We need to get that trip together with Mark S. too!

Old 02-20-2020, 07:11 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
Ahhhh some fun trails!! Black Bear, Imogene and Poughkeepsie gulch, Engineer pass... have done them. Black bear will not be open until later in the summer... well worth the wait!

And Moab is slowly turning awful... the new Moab is going to be Hurricane UT. The Moab city government is working hard at stopping anything that burns gasoline/diesel from running on pavement. I have worked "Easter Jeep Safari" for many years... and now don't have any interest in going there... but we will be in Sand Hollow State park this weekend (Hurricane UT)

For sure! Thanks!
Old 02-20-2020, 08:24 PM   #26

Quote:
What do you find is your optimal speed for comfort and fuel efficiency? I'd like to know this with and without a trailer as we'll be doing both. I have a 18' trailer that I will pull my Jeep on.

Just chiming in - out west many speed limits are 80mph.

Like others have said - your trailer will set your speed. Go check those tires on that trailer.

The number one cause of tire failure is heat.

Proper inflation, staying under weight limits and staying within speed ratings greatly increases your chance of not having a very, very bad day.

If you're going to go over 65, then I'd just stop a heck of a lot more often and check the tires. Grab an IR thermometer and check temps.

My two cents.
Old 02-21-2020, 09:39 AM   #27

Quote:
Because we go camping mostly to offroad and I do stupid things like this and need to get it home in case an axle breaks or something...lol
Quote:
and you don't want to burn up a set of 37's every year being dragged around behind the motorhome.
LOL!! I figured this may have been the case as I thought for a half second why you'd want to trailer the Jeep. It's a Jeep thing.

I have a '94 YJ (C-clip axles), so I get what you're saying. Mine's not a trail or rock rig by any stretch. Just a suspension lift, body lift and some bigger tires. Unfortunately, I don't get much chance to wheel these days, but I'm working on it...

I'm actually making a deal on a trailer right now that I'd be able to tow the YJ on behind the motorhome if I wanted to.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 09:56 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
LOL!! I figured this may have been the case as I thought for a half second why you'd want to trailer the Jeep. It's a Jeep thing.

I have a '94 YJ (C-clip axles), so I get what you're saying. Mine's not a trail or rock rig by any stretch. Just a suspension lift, body lift and some bigger tires. Unfortunately, I don't get much chance to wheel these days, but I'm working on it...

I'm actually making a deal on a trailer right now that I'd be able to tow the YJ on behind the motorhome if I wanted to.
Awesome! Mine's not really a trail rig either, it's actually my daily driver lol

I bought it, threw on a 2 inch lift, winch, and 37s and it's been remarkable!
Old 02-21-2020, 10:09 AM   #29

Quote:
Awesome! Mine's not really a trail rig either, it's actually my daily driver lol

I bought it, threw on a 2 inch lift, winch, and 37s and it's been remarkable!
Yeah, it really doesn't take much on these Jeeps. They're very capable right out of the box.

My DD is a 2015 WK2 (Grand Cherokee); it's also my toad. This is one of the reasons trailering the YJ has been deprioritized. The WK2 is plenty capable for the light stuff we do (mostly beach), and will get more so when I install an OME lift on it, hopefully this year.

The YJ was our first toad when we got the MH, so it's already set up. I just need to get an adapter for my tow bar to make it complete again.

But the WK2 tows so nice behind the MH, I haven't worried about those adapter brackets.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 10:13 AM   #30

Quote:
Yeah, it really doesn't take much on these Jeeps. They're very capable right out of the box.

My DD is a 2015 WK2 (Grand Cherokee); it's also my toad. This is one of the reasons trailering the YJ has been deprioritized. The WK2 is plenty capable for the light stuff we do (mostly beach), and will get more so when I install an OME lift on it, hopefully this year.

The YJ was our first toad when we got the MH, so it's already set up. I just need to get an adapter for my tow bar to make it complete again.

But the WK2 tows so nice behind the MH, I haven't worried about those adapter brackets.
Looks like you have the same Jayco as we do (different floorplan?), how does it tow your Grand Cherokee?
Old 02-21-2020, 10:44 AM   #31

Quote:

We have to trailer our rig... but there are so many other advantages of having a trail-rig/RV Toad on a trailer.

We have not aired up since November.. The rig goes on the trailer aired down.

Carry extra gear on the Trailer - tools, fluids, parts and friends Jeep Axles

Recovery - I hook the trailer up to our FJC and go back as far as we can on the trail with the trailer to bring someone else off the trail who broke/flopped.

Trail (Mud Terrain) tires dont wear down on the trailer between locations - a set of soft stickies are more expensive every year.

Can take either trail rig, buggy or a trail rig and a ATV/UTV if we wish. Kids would rather go putting around near camp on the ATV than ride with us.

Don't have to remember to unlock both front hubs...

Backing up - we can back up anywhere we want... I don't have to ask for directions and get sent down a dead end road. I can do it on my own!

Old 02-21-2020, 10:47 AM   #32

@slopoke....Just say your 2020 Coors in your signature...love it!
Old 02-21-2020, 11:01 AM   #33

Quote:
Hi Everyone! I was wondering if you guys could provide some feedback based on your real world experiences. We just bought a Greyhawk 31FP and will be picking it up on Saturday. I have a real hard time driving conservatively so driving this RV is going to be tough lol

What do you find is your optimal speed for comfort and fuel efficiency? I'd like to know this with and without a trailer as we'll be doing both. I have a 18' trailer that I will pull my Jeep on.
I also tow my Jeep, 65mph, if someone has a problem with it then they can go around. My suggestion is to get yourself a dash cam , if someone cuts you off, runs a red light etc you have proof of what happened. People don’t respect those who tow on the road, they’ll pass you to get 1 car length in front of you then hit the brakes, if you’re unable to stop and rear end them it’s your fault!!! The dash cam will prove they cut you off and cut your braking distance in half etc. and therefore you are not at fault.
Old 02-21-2020, 11:10 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado View Post
My suggestion is to get yourself a dash cam , if someone cuts you off, runs a red light etc you have proof of what happened. People don’t respect those who tow on the road, they’ll pass you to get 1 car length in front of you then hit the brakes, if you’re unable to stop and rear end them it’s your fault!!! The dash cam will prove they cut you off and cut your braking distance in half etc. and therefore you are not at fault.
Agree... we did just that, all the way around us we have cameras recording!
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ild-64024.html

Old 02-21-2020, 12:14 PM   #35

Quote:

And Moab is slowly turning awful... the new Moab is going to be Hurricane UT. The Moab city government is working hard at stopping anything that burns gasoline/diesel from running on anything not pavement. I have worked "Easter Jeep Safari" for many years... and now don't have any interest in going there... but we will be in Sand Hollow State park this weekend (Hurricane UT)

SloPoke:
We did the Mineral Creek Trail to Animas Forks (awesome ghost town), Imogene Pass to Telluride and Yankee Boy Basin - incredible views everywhere (not to mention the Million Dollar Highway to Durango and Silverton). Box Canyon in Ouray is pretty cool as is Black Canyon National Park!
We will be in Estes Park to Ouray either late August or early September and are planning on heading up to BigFork, MT for several days then back through Yellowstone back to Northern Illinois. It would be fun to meet up with some forum folks if possible - but I know it can be a challenge to make schedules work!
We are also planning an AZ trip around Sedona next year as there are quite a few trails to do there.
I wasn't aware of the local politics surrounding Moab - I am planning to go from Sedona back to Moab mainly because we didn't get a chance to get to Top Of The World - we did some of Shafer Trail in Canyonland and also went to the Arches and did part of Hell's Revenge and some other trails. Hopefully we can still do some more trails around Moab!
Old 02-21-2020, 12:25 PM   #36

Quote:

JeepnRv:
Had to chuckle a bit when you described how you wound up with a new motorhome :-)
If you want to do a weekend trip and have not been to Silver Lake in Michigan, You'd really enjoy taking your Rubicon on the dunes! I've been going there for almost 40 years and the dunes are awesome! Here's a couple of pictures of my 2007 Rubicon at Silver Lake. I sold the Rubicon when I got my 2018 JKU. There are several campgrounds close to the dunes that we have stayed at if you want some recommendations.
Attached Thumbnails
20180908_200204.jpg   20180906_202155.jpg  
Old 02-21-2020, 12:41 PM   #37

Quote:
JeepnRv:
Had to chuckle a bit when you described how you wound up with a new motorhome :-)
If you want to do a weekend trip and have not been to Silver Lake in Michigan, You'd really enjoy taking your Rubicon on the dunes! I've been going there for almost 40 years and the dunes are awesome! Here's a couple of pictures of my 2007 Rubicon at Silver Lake. I sold the Rubicon when I got my 2018 JKU. There are several campgrounds close to the dunes that we have stayed at if you want some recommendations.
Love silver lake!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
FB_IMG_1582310413448.jpg   FB_IMG_1579982303676.jpg  
Old 02-21-2020, 01:58 PM   #38

Quote:
SloPoke:
We did the Mineral Creek Trail to Animas Forks (awesome ghost town), Imogene Pass to Telluride and Yankee Boy Basin - incredible views everywhere (not to mention the Million Dollar Highway to Durango and Silverton). Box Canyon in Ouray is pretty cool as is Black Canyon National Park!
We will be in Estes Park to Ouray either late August or early September and are planning on heading up to BigFork, MT for several days then back through Yellowstone back to Northern Illinois. It would be fun to meet up with some forum folks if possible - but I know it can be a challenge to make schedules work!
We are also planning an AZ trip around Sedona next year as there are quite a few trails to do there.
I wasn't aware of the local politics surrounding Moab - I am planning to go from Sedona back to Moab mainly because we didn't get a chance to get to Top Of The World - we did some of Shafer Trail in Canyonland and also went to the Arches and did part of Hell's Revenge and some other trails. Hopefully we can still do some more trails around Moab!
Awesome! We loved Animas Forks, and spent an entire day exploring California Gulch, Cinnamon pass, American basin and poked around all of the old buildings/mills that were left behind.

We have spent many weeks in Moab.. .not just working Easter jeep Safari, but also supporting some of the other events there (Trail Breaker - at Area BFE) and others. Some of the trails we have done - Hells Revenge, Lions Back(before it closed), Fins-n-things, Steel Bender, Cliff Hanger, metal masher, kane Creek (winter and summer), Gemini Bridges, Chicken corners, Poison Spider.. I've spent countless hours with the BLM, County and Moab City leaders on keeping access to the motorized trails open... They want the visitor dollars, but want non-motorized recreation to be the focus of their future. They have the highest taxes of the entire state and want to raise them higher than the State maximum allowed. The Utah locals now travel to Hurricane (gateway to Zion National Park) and play on a Utah State Park that has a lake you can camp next to and wheel sand dunes, rock Canyons and scenic trails that are from mild to extreme.

Old 02-21-2020, 04:41 PM   #39

Quote:
Love silver lake!!!!
If anyone finds themselves in Colorado Springs and wanna hit a trail get in touch. We tend to do more Rock Crawling but there’s plenty of trails that are not this extreme.
Attached Thumbnails
DD5C7808-A734-4101-9B83-4CD3483E3D99.jpg  
Old 02-21-2020, 05:08 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado View Post
If anyone finds themselves in Colorado Springs and wanna hit a trail get in touch. We tend to do more Rock Crawling but there’s plenty of trails that are not this extreme.
I love the twist this thread took!

We tend to do a mix of everything as we don't have a ton of large boulders.