Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-20-2020, 09:01 AM   #1

Optimal Speed?

Hi Everyone! I was wondering if you guys could provide some feedback based on your real world experiences. We just bought a Greyhawk 31FP and will be picking it up on Saturday. I have a real hard time driving conservatively so driving this RV is going to be tough lol

What do you find is your optimal speed for comfort and fuel efficiency? I'd like to know this with and without a trailer as we'll be doing both. I have a 18' trailer that I will pull my Jeep on.
Old 02-20-2020, 09:12 AM   #2

It all depends... slower gets you more mileage faster less... if you have time do a test.. run at 65MPH for a tank and see how far you get then gas up and go 70MPH and see how far you get. Then you have to do math to see if the extra 5MPH got you to your destination faster with the extra stop or two you may have to make... it sounds like a little but 10MPH faster over 10 hours is 100 miles...if you have to stop and fuel an extra time it may not be that much more over time...

faster you go the more you use... stupid physics....
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 09:19 AM   #3

This is my third motor home. I find my comfort zone is between 62-65mph. On major freeways with limits @ 75 mph, I might do 70. The determining factors for me, is weather (wind, rain, snow, sunshine), road condition (width, surface condition, grades, curves, etc). traffic congestion, what I am towing, and time of day (night driving is much slower for me)
RanWal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 09:44 AM   #4

You can get 100 different answers on this topic. Everything has to be with type of RV, vehicle, weather, places, etc., etc., etc.
In my case, for a quick answer, I am pulling a fifth wheel (12,000lbs) with a 2015 RAM 2500 Diesel and doing 65mph gets me 13mpg average. If I go a little faster, (70mph) which is better going up and down on our mayor interstate (I-75) gives me 11.5mpg. Another thing I tried, is to keep your gear on 5th which rise your rpm a little (2,000)
Again, we can spend all day long here trying to figure it!
Just find your sweet spot and enjoy your ride
Hman0109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 10:50 AM   #5

It is what you are comfortable with. Probably 60-65mph is pretty typically.
mboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 10:59 AM   #6

I wrestled with this when we first picked up our 30X last year. I started at 60 then went to 65 and now I'm at 70 and only slow down below that if I'm climbing or otherwise stressing the engine for longer periods of time. Now in CA, if you're pulling a trailer you're speed limit is 55 but I'm not sure how much CHP actually enforces that...

Jeff
jeffro01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 11:02 AM   #7
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepnRv View Post
Hi Everyone! I was wondering if you guys could provide some feedback based on your real world experiences. We just bought a Greyhawk 31FP and will be picking it up on Saturday. I have a real hard time driving conservatively so driving this RV is going to be tough lol
Ha... I have the same problem, the speed just seems to get away from me. I usually cruise between 70 - 75, sometimes bump it up to 80 to get around a car or truck.

But, just a suggestion, many of us did some suspension upgrades to the Ford chassis to make it handle better at speed. This includes an upgraded front sway bar and a upgraded steering stabilizer, as a start. These keep those "white knuckle" experiences to a minimum.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 11:14 AM   #8

Being retired I set the cruise at 62mph. Fuel mileage varies from 7.9 to 9.5 depending on the road and weather variables. No stress at 62 the traffic can easily get around me quickly and I seldom have to take the cruise off. Took a while to get used to driving this slow but if I do not set cruise I just kept speeding up. From my past life in trucking for every 1mph above 60 your fuel mileage goes down .1mpg. I do not do it for the fuel mileage. Do it for low stress. Take care

Enjoy the journey
Trapper2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 11:20 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapperbob View Post
Being retired I set the cruise at 62mph. Fuel mileage varies from 7.9 to 9.5 depending on the road and weather variables. No stress at 62 the traffic can easily get around me quickly and I seldom have to take the cruise off. Took a while to get used to driving this slow but if I do not set cruise I just kept speeding up. From my past life in trucking for every 1mph above 60 your fuel mileage goes down .1mpg. I do not do it for the fuel mileage. Do it for low stress. Take care

Enjoy the journey
+1, although with a different setup.
Old 02-20-2020, 11:47 AM   #10

I won't go over 65 unless I'm passing. I just don't feel comfortable with anything more while driving a big box truck or pulling a big box behind the pickup.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 12:28 PM   #11

With the trailer and Jeep, you'll probably not want to exceed 65. Not just because the tires on the trailer are probably only speed rated to 65, but that's also a comfortable speed to tow at in these rigs (IMO). It doesn't stress the motor or transmission too much, and it's easier to keep the RPMs where you want them without a bunch of shifting.

That's where I cruise most of the time because most of the time I have my Grand Cherokee behind me 4-down. Without a trailer or toad, I've been known to cruise around 75 if the conditions will support it. If I can keep the weight down in the rig, it goes smoother.

If it gets to shifting too much or conditions deteriorate, I slow down. But at around 65, I can hold optimal gear pretty consistently even in hilly terrain, and often with the cruise control on. I just give the throttle a nudge if I'm approaching a hill so I don't have to listen to it downshift 3 gears and yell at me.

I don't really care much about fuel economy, so I only track it every now and then. I know I can pretty reliably get around 250 miles before I start getting close to 1/4 tank left, and I don't really like to get too close to that mark because I want to be able to run the generator if I need to.

Biggest factors will be road conditions, weight, and wind (the biggest). Going into even a slight head wind will eat your lunch. A slight tail wind (yes, it CAN happen; it's not just a myth!) will make your day. I've been in some pretty strong head-winds that have pushed me down to 55 before. I don't care much to listen to that V-10 scream all day, so I tend to "baby" it a bit.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 12:48 PM   #12

Truly appreciate all the different viewpoints and feedback! I kinda heard what I was hoping. I will probably start at 62-65 and see how it feels, then if all good, hopefully move up towards the speed limit of 70.
Old 02-20-2020, 02:31 PM   #13

we have a class c and do 62-65, what is the rush, enjoy the ride, only gain 5 more miles in an hour of driving at 70 plus there is a safety factor to consider when so jerk decides to pass too close or cross from left lane to exit right. I saw this all the time as a commercial driver...
cherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 04:22 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherv View Post
we have a class c and do 62-65, what is the rush, enjoy the ride, only gain 5 more miles in an hour of driving at 70 plus there is a safety factor to consider when so jerk decides to pass too close or cross from left lane to exit right. I saw this all the time as a commercial driver...
This is a really good point IMO.

I can't seem to ever break an average of around 50 mph for long-distance travel. If I'm only going a short distance, I can sometimes get more than that, but not in a full day of driving. Doesn't matter if I'm trying to drive 60 or 75, my long-term average still seems to be right around 50 mph.

So by that logic, I really just own it and try to keep the rig at a speed that's safe, keeps my gear happy, and doesn't make me want to gouge my eyes out.

Same concept driving between my house and my dad's house. I could be going 100 mph, and it would still take the same 2-1/2 hours it takes going the speed limit. There MUST be some kind of time warp I get stuck in!!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 04:28 PM   #15

Yep. I’ve taken 2 drives now from NJ to Disney and one to Myrtle. All three times I average about 50 mph once you sit down and figure out each leg of the trip. Stopping for gas, stretching, grabbing a quick bite to eat. All that ‘going nowhere’ brings your batting average way down. So the extra 5 mph out on the road doesn’t really buy me any more then a more expensive gas bill.

Shorter drives maybe the extra speed buys me a few extra minutes, but I’m on vacation. I’ll spend the minutes.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 05:09 PM   #16

JeepnRv- just curious as to why you are trailering your Jeep? I flat tow my 2018 Jeep Wrangler JKU behind my 2019 Greyhawk 30X with no issues. I’m on my 3rd Class C and have always flat towed a Jeep JK - Easy connect / disconnect and no worries on where or how to stow a trailer. I usually run between 65-70 but have creeped up to 80 or so passing a string of trucks on occasion.
Frodo13056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 05:29 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo13056 View Post
JeepnRv- just curious as to why you are trailering your Jeep? I flat tow my 2018 Jeep Wrangler JKU behind my 2019 Greyhawk 30X with no issues. I’m on my 3rd Class C and have always flat towed a Jeep JK - Easy connect / disconnect and no worries on where or how to stow a trailer. I usually run between 65-70 but have creeped up to 80 or so passing a string of trucks on occasion.
Because we go camping mostly to offroad and I do stupid things like this and need to get it home in case an axle breaks or something...lol
Attached Thumbnails
FB_IMG_1579393315234.jpg  
JeepnRv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 05:40 PM   #18

The first rule... drive no faster than you feel is safe (prima facie) under the conditions. For some with equipment that is not engineered for sustaining Interstate highway speeds, that means it will be lower than others with equipment that is...

If your tires are L rated, you have no reason to be endangering others by driving 75 ever. If your tires are S Rated, different story and different speed.

Now consider the crosswinds, gusty winds and other situations that you will find yourself in...

And the last thing to consider... How many times have you been stuck behind a RV going 60-mph on an interstate highway with a 75 or 80 speed limit? Just the fact that everyone has to pass that slow moving vehicle is also a safety issue. If you are going to be travelling at 61 for good fuel economy, and the rest of traffic is rolling at 70 on the flats... you will be contributing to the bad attitudes that the general public has about RV's on the highway. Sometimes going too slow is a safety hazard too.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 05:44 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepnRv View Post
Because we go camping mostly to offroad and I do stupid things like this and need to get it home in case an axle breaks or something...lol
and you don't want to burn up a set of 37's every year being dragged around behind the motorhome.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 05:47 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
and you don't want to burn up a set of 37's every year being dragged around behind the motorhome.
Exactly, they're not cheap! Lol
JeepnRv is offline   Reply With Quote