Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-11-2019, 07:44 PM   #1

Ordered a Greyhawk 26Y, have some questions

Hello,
I have been reading this forum for awhile, lots of interesting info.
Here is our story and a few simple questions...

Ordered a Greyhawk 26Y, from RV One in Iowa, after a year of looking at new/used class c's and different floorplans.
Had a 28 BH TT, for 10 years that was kept on lake front property with no utilities or services, but due to a relocation 3 years ago, a motorhome will better fit our needs where we live now.
We have 3 places we usually camp, all of them 50 - 90 miles from home.
none of them have utilities either.
We typically camp 2-3 nights, and usually cook outside. The time we spend most inside, is the mornings, ( Coffee, lounging, bathroom, more coffee, banana bread,
make lunches for our daily activity). Here are my questions:
- as far as I can tell, the 26y has room for 2 group 27 batteries. Can anyone confirm this ? Will group 31's fit? if so, planning to order v-max agm's.
In all our research, I forgot to look at the battery situation on a 26y. Nearest dealer is 3 hours away.
- Volt meters, I plan to get a digital one, it seems there are some relatively small inexpensive ones , any feedback on these ? We don't mind running the generator for a hour in the morning and some in the evening, I just want to be efficient with the batteries...

https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Voltmeter-3-digit-Display-Motorcycle/dp/B07PBWVWFP/ref=sr_1_12?keywords=plug%2Bin%2Bled%2Bvolt%2Bmete r&qid=1552316782&s=hi&sr=1-12&th=1[/URL]

- are the Venturi generator exhaust things worth it? do they take long to put up?
Does it muffle the sound or just get fumes away from camp? Has anyone permanently welded one together and mounted it?

Thanks for all the info everyone posts.
pudgyskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 09:36 AM   #2

IF you can spend a little more than a simple voltage meter you may want to look at one of the battery monitor systems on the market. I had a Bogart Trimetric TM-2030-RV in my fifth wheel and just ordered a Victron BMV-712 for my new Class C.

You install a shunt between the negative cable on the battery and the loads, a small wire to measure voltage on the positive, and communication cable to the display. Then you tell the system how many amp hours your batteries have and they will track incoming an outgoing AH. You will be able to use this to track your usage and will know exactly how much each component takes and what's left. Sort of like a fuel gauge for your batteries.

Really a step up from a simple volt meter, imho.

TriMetric Model Descriptions - Bogart Engineering

https://www.victronenergy.com/batter.../bmv-712-smart
supereri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 10:28 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pudgyskier View Post
Hello,
I have been reading this forum for awhile, lots of interesting info.
Here is our story and a few simple questions...

Ordered a Greyhawk 26Y, from RV One in Iowa, after a year of looking at new/used class c's and different floorplans.
Had a 28 BH TT, for 10 years that was kept on lake front property with no utilities or services, but due to a relocation 3 years ago, a motorhome will better fit our needs where we live now.
We have 3 places we usually camp, all of them 50 - 90 miles from home.
none of them have utilities either.
We typically camp 2-3 nights, and usually cook outside. The time we spend most inside, is the mornings, ( Coffee, lounging, bathroom, more coffee, banana bread,
make lunches for our daily activity). Here are my questions:
- as far as I can tell, the 26y has room for 2 group 27 batteries. Can anyone confirm this ? Will group 31's fit? if so, planning to order v-max agm's.
In all our research, I forgot to look at the battery situation on a 26y. Nearest dealer is 3 hours away.
- Volt meters, I plan to get a digital one, it seems there are some relatively small inexpensive ones , any feedback on these ? We don't mind running the generator for a hour in the morning and some in the evening, I just want to be efficient with the batteries...

https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Voltmeter-3-digit-Display-Motorcycle/dp/B07PBWVWFP/ref=sr_1_12?keywords=plug%2Bin%2Bled%2Bvolt%2Bmete r&qid=1552316782&s=hi&sr=1-12&th=1[/URL]

- are the Venturi generator exhaust things worth it? do they take long to put up?
Does it muffle the sound or just get fumes away from camp? Has anyone permanently welded one together and mounted it?

Thanks for all the info everyone posts.
Congratulations on the new Greyhawk and welcome to the forum.

Will you be following a similar 12v routine with your MH that you did with your old TT? Seems like if it worked with your TT for 10yr, it should work for your MH, too.

- Sorry. I can't help with your battery size questions.
- I have a voltmeter like this www.amazon.com/HDE-Display-Voltmeter-Generator-Cigarette/dp/B009L4Z3EO/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=voltmeter+cigarette&qid=155240 6728&s=hi&sr=1-2
that works well for me to monitor our TT 12v batteries (2, group 26) state of charge.
- Sorry. I have no experience with the generator exhaust things. IMO, they would be best suited for situations where RVs were side-by-side with the generator running many hours a day. Running a built-in generator in your MH for an hour or two each morning and evening should not bother anyone but you . BTW, those exhaust systems have an 'air gap' that would allow sound to escape so may not reduce the exhaust noise significantly; but again, I've never tried one so that is just a thought. If you camp in sunny locations, you may want to consider solar for your 12v needs-no noise, no odor, but more expensive than a generator exhaust system.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 09:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pudgyskier View Post
Hello,
I have a couple of those. They're within 0.1V of my more expensive multimeter.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:19 PM   #5

I have one group 27, 12-volt flooded battery. I know that it's better to have two 6-volt batteries as far as the amps are concerned, but I'm not ready to make that purchase right now. I want to replace it with a similar AGM battery. Can anybody recommend any good AGM battery brands for the type and group that I mentioned?
Jaytalk is offline   Reply With Quote