Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-12-2020, 05:55 AM   #1

Our first toad

We’ve been RV’ing for just about a year now and getting in and out of the gas pumps has gotten easier, so we have purchased a 2017 Jeep Wrangle and plan on towing it . Any tips about driving, hooking up, etc, from those who tow all the time would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!
unzinators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 04:18 PM   #2

We flat tow. Do your research on tow bars and braking systems. There are multiple choices out there. We've had both good and bad - makes a world of difference when it's all good!

We find towing our Jeep a breeze. It's easy to hook up, take off, and great to have when exploring an area. Makes minimal difference with gas mileage. Can't imagine not having it with us.
1980 Shasta 21; 1981 Coleman Tent Trailer
1978 VW Westfalia; lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 04:29 PM   #3
CAG

I love my Jeep. The places I can go! We do a bunch of 4 wheeling and would not be without it on trips.

As mentioned, there are a bunch of options for flat towing and hookup/unhooking is a breeze.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1601.jpg  

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 05:15 PM   #4

Like other say do some research and try to get the highest quality set up you can afford. Not sure about all the brand out now but when we got our set up I chose Blue Ox. I have not regretted the purchase.

As will towing anything develop a system/check list when hooking up. The thoughts of our TOAD disconnecting while driving haunts me. I have set routine that I go through before every trip and I make sure I don't change from it.

While driving it's pretty simple, your TOAD will track right behind your RV. Just remember that most tow bars are not designed to back up. Work through a plan on what you are going to do if you try to turn around and don't make it. It has happened to me twice. One one occasion because of the spot we were in, I had DW jump in the TOAD, turn it on and put is in reverse. She kinda just helped keep the pressure off the tow bars while steering the TOAD. Certainly not recommended but we were in a pinch and it worked. The other time we disconnected fully, got turned around and reconnected.

Best of Luck.....
Old 03-12-2020, 05:31 PM   #5

If it follows the RV Track can I assume that means the TOAD does not worsen the turning radius of the RV?
Old 03-12-2020, 05:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by unzinators View Post
If it follows the RV Track can I assume that means the TOAD does not worsen the turning radius of the RV?
Well I'd hate to give you bad information. I bet someone with your RV has a Jeep that they tow and can give better info. In our case it does a pretty good job of staying right behind. If I make really tight turn I make sure to leave a little room.

Best suggestion is once you get set up head over to an open parking lot and turn it into a road coarse
Old 03-12-2020, 05:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobieMo View Post
Best suggestion is once you get set up head over to an open parking lot and turn it into a road coarse
Walmart here I come! Lol
Old 03-12-2020, 05:57 PM   #8
CAG

I hesitate to recommend items in most cases because everyone has different ideas and tastes and should do their own research. I did quite a bit. The only "suggestion" I might make is the Demco Stay and Play Duo brake system. I went with it for two reasons, 1. I did not want holes drilled in my floorboard for a system that had to be set up each time you get ready to tow. 2. I wanted a "simple" and I mean simple system that does the job without setting up and adjusting a system. Once installed and adjusted it is a simple flip of a switch to activate your braking system. Nothing shows under the dash or is stuck to the floorboard between the brake and your seat.

For the tow bar and tight turns. I live in a cul-de-sac with 7 homes. We are the first home on the corner which means I have to pull into the street, drive all the way to the end make a very, and I do mean very tight turn in the cul-de-sac to pull back down the street and in front of our house. My wife went to the back window of the RV on our first trip in with the Jeep in tow and watched as I made a very slow turn. It was not even close. I could have jackknifed and not touched. Just be sure you get a tow bar that allows that extension and room.

You should not have this problem, but Jeep changed most of the electrical system among other things on the 19 and up. The JL is a different animal and that caused some concerns for me so I decided to have the work done rather than trust my shade-tree mechanic ability. As I say the pre 19 Wranglers are a little easier to work with.

Old 03-12-2020, 06:29 PM   #9
CAG

Sorry for the multiple posts but one "funny" as we made the first trip with the Jeep in tow. I kept the rear camera on out of paranoia more than anything. So the entire trip to SE Arizona the screen showed the Jeep. At one point my wife was talking with one of our daughters on the phone and said "some Adam Henry in a Jeep has been tailgating us for the last 100 miles". That caused some chuckles for the rest of the trip.

Old 03-13-2020, 08:05 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Sorry for the multiple posts but one "funny" as we made the first trip with the Jeep in tow. I kept the rear camera on out of paranoia more than anything. So the entire trip to SE Arizona the screen showed the Jeep. At one point my wife was talking with one of our daughters on the phone and said "some Adam Henry in a Jeep has been tailgating us for the last 100 miles". That caused some chuckles for the rest of the trip.
LOL!! Every now and then I look back there and think that. Just to myself though, and just for a split second. I get a chuckle out of myself sometimes...

We flat tow a Grand Cherokee, and sometimes an old Wrangler (YJ). We use almost all Blue Ox gear, and I'm very happy with it.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 08:29 AM   #11

I tow a Nissan Versa, not 4WD but great on gas and I often forget its even back there because its so light. I use the Blue OX system as well along with the RVI3 brake system. So far so good. Good Luck!
Dopalgangr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 11:38 AM   #12

I bought a Currie base plate. I think its the most factory looking.

Go buy the mopar RV harness kit. I think it runs $120 or so. Then you have a 7 pin hookup ready to go and no light bars or weird stuff that is aftermarket. I installed it myself, but it does require cutting a hole in the firewall (2" hole if I remember correctly). I would find someone (dealer or not) that has installed it before and not someone who is doing it for the first time.

The ready brute is great, but again you may want to have someone experienced install it as it required drilling a hole in the bumper and running the brake cable to the brake pedal (another hole in the firewall).
foglght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 07:36 PM   #13

Guess I'm not one that should be giving towing advice. Because for 20 years I've towed too much behind class C motorhomes. I tow a 24' enclosed trailer with a 3000# racecar and tools and fuel. I have good trailer brakes and air bags on coach . On the 3 regular class Cs, you had to always be watching ahead to be able to stop safely The super C not so much. If we are just RVing I pull an open trailer with my wife's Mini Cooper S. After research I found best for me to use a trailer with this car.
gymracer is offline   Reply With Quote