Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-30-2018, 11:16 PM   #1

Out-of-state RV purchase

Has anyone that lives in California bought an RV unit from a dealer in another state? If so, how did you pay for California sales tax, registration and license fees when you brought the vehicle back to California?
Jaytalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 01:24 AM   #2

I've bought three motorhome/toterhomes over the years from Indiana.

Some states work in conjunction with California. For example, last year I bought a new Intech trailer from a dealer in Ohio. The trailer was manufactured in Indiana. I drove from So Cal to Indiana to get the factory tour and picked the trailer up while I was there. But because the selling dealer was in Ohio I had to use Ohio's rules. I was given an Ohio temporary permit, and I paid Ohio sales tax and a small fee which is less than California's. When I took the paperwork to the DMV all they charged me for was the balance remaining and the smaller license fees.

When buying in other states some will not collect sales tax from you, but you are still responsible for paying it to complete the California title and registration process. In order to move the motorhome the dealer in the state you are purchasing it from will work with you to give you a temporary XX number of days permit to drive it. You can't legally drive it without some sort of issued permit. If the dealer isn't able to cooperate on a permit or tags there are services that will do it for you. My best advice is to ask the dealer first. It's likely that you aren't their first customer from California and they will handle it or guide you. If they can't help you, call the California DMV and have all the information ready like VIN, type of rig, etc., and they will guide you. Also, call your insurance company to make sure they understand it's an out of state purchase and you want to make sure they have full knowledge of what you are doing and that you expect to be insured.

The last out of state motorhome purchase we made was over 10 years ago, so I'm not up on the current 49 or 50 state legal smog requirements or labeling on new motorhomes. Again, the selling dealer should be aware of any pitfalls, but it never hurts to do some checking yourself. This link from the California DMV doesn't mention motorhomes specifically, but it does have some good information.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1...t_facts/ffvr29

Good luck.

Randy
Randy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 01:28 AM   #3

Also, any used vehicles brought in to California require a VIN verification as part of the registration process. Then the DMV collects all the fees and can register it.

VIN verifications are done at the DMV, or the CHP, or may be done by the local police departments which usually charge a fee for it. They will have the VIN verification form that must be submitted. When they fill it out (you aren't allowed to write on it) make sure they don't make any mistakes. If they do they need to do a whole new form. The DMV will reject a VIN verification form if it has any mistakes, cross outs, or initials next to any small errors.
Old 03-31-2018, 01:51 AM   #4

Out-of-state RV purchase

Not sure if this applies in Ca, but I bought out of state and registered in Vt. I got a loan for a portion of the unit and paid my portion of the total price including taxes and reg fees to the dealer. If it is a internet dealer like rv one they then cut the check to the state for sales and registration fees. They provide you with a transit registration which in my case was Ny as that is where the dealer was located. This is good for 30 days. You then drive home get appropriate forms ( in vt you don’t need a vin check on a new vehicle only used) go to the dmv and complete payment and get your reg. Then you have to get it inspected. So it looks like the only extra step is the vin check and then enjoy.

Safe travels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 04:49 AM   #5

I bought a trailer Jun 2017 in North Carolina, but registered it in Virginia.

If I had financed any of the purchase price, the dealer in NC would have collected all the sales tax, titling fees, etc from me.

Since I didn't finance, the dealer just got his money for the trailer, and gave me all the info I needed to register the trailer in Virginia my self. This included the certificate of manufacture for my trailer. Needed that since it had never been titled before.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 09:17 AM   #6

Are you thinking of buying in Arizona?
whporwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 12:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by whporwil View Post
Are you thinking of buying in Arizona?
No. I'm registering the rv in Calif.
Old 03-31-2018, 01:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaytalk View Post
No. I'm registering the rv in Calif.
I think he's asking you what state the RV is in that you are purchasing.
Old 03-31-2018, 05:41 PM   #9

I've gone the other way - bought 4 boats over the years in CA and my current travel trailer in CA. The boats were private party so I just had to "create" a number for the AZ DMV - I like $10 as the purchase price. The trailer, I bought at a dealer in CA (don't get me started about the astronomical AZ trailer prices - I literally saved $7000) and they charged me CA taxes. They gave me the choice - they could move it to AZ boarder for a fee and not charge me the taxes or I could take it and pay CA taxes. I paid CA taxes as they were only 0.02% higher than AZ. When I registered in AZ, they didn't charge me more in taxes (maybe I paid city taxes or something). CA/AZ are "reciprocal states" for taxes so you don't get charged twice.

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 10:55 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy G View Post
I think he's asking you what state the RV is in that you are purchasing.
Iowa.
Old 04-05-2018, 01:42 PM   #11

When I did mine I bought it in PA they "transferred the title" to me via $35 fee then gave me a 30 day transport tag.. came back to MN and went to the DMV with the purchase document and then paid the taxes then on the sales price. I had a private party sale so not sure what the differences would be on a dealer sale... If they don't pay or charge you the taxes then you just pay them in your home state at the DMV... I would think...

I bought a boat in CA and didn't need to do the title transfer and tags just drove it home with the title and went to the DMV and turns out they could only charge me tax on the price of the trailer not the boat and trailer.. that saves you a bunch of money right there... they just issued me a new title for the boat and the trailer and a new tab for the trailer and new call stickers for the boat
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote