Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-07-2012, 07:48 PM   #1

Outside speakers sound bad

I have a 2011 Greyhawk 31 FS. It has two outside speakers that just do not sound right to me. When I turn on the outside speakers the vocal track on any music is very faint, and the sound is just not very good. I can't belive this is normal. Does anyone else use their outside speakers and do they sound better than mine do?
Old 05-07-2012, 09:10 PM   #2

I have a 2008 Melbourne. The outside speakers are actually decent. Not sure if the Greyhawk uses the same radio.
Milkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:27 AM   #3

No outside speakers on on our X17z but I will say the inside speakers are pretty poor at best. Recently installed a Sirius Sat radio and it's much better then reg radio for sound quality but really.. these are poor. New speakers are on the mod list for sure.
dddire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:39 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddire View Post
No outside speakers on on our X17z but I will say the inside speakers are pretty poor at best. Recently installed a Sirius Sat radio and it's much better then reg radio for sound quality but really.. these are poor. New speakers are on the mod list for sure.
Are you planning on running new wire or use the existing wire? I have not looked at the speaker wires in the current unit but it was very light wire in previous RVs.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrumfield View Post
Are you planning on running new wire or use the existing wire? I have not looked at the speaker wires in the current unit but it was very light wire in previous RVs.
Likely just original wiring. They're very short runs.
dddire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:14 AM   #6

Speaker

Why be concerned about this, Jayco has a 2 year warranty, let the dealer figure it out.
The Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:27 AM   #7

In our 32BHDS the outside speakers work great! I was able to hear them by the fire with no prob.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:45 PM   #8

Yeah Hawk, I would like the dealer to figure it out. They said, "well, if you put the fade all on the back speakers and the balance all on the right speaker you can kind of hear the vocals". They tried to tell me since they work at all, the warranty won't cover. You don't have to have a very good ear to know it's not right.....
Old 05-08-2012, 05:50 PM   #9

Try to take a video with decent sound of the speakers in action vs inside speakers and send them to Jayco service direct. You might have better luck going direct for a warranty auth number for the dealer to do the work.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:00 PM   #10

If you have access to another speaker then I would take one out and hook up another to see if it is in the speaker or the stereo. If it is the speakers then this would be a good time to just replace them with a much better speaker and not worry about having the dealer put in another pair that you will not be happy with.
Locky66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:37 PM   #11

Sorry to hi-jack your thread...but I thought it might be a good place to ask. How do you select the outside speakers? We got our 2010 31FK a couple months ago, and I haven't got around to figuring out how to get the sound to the outside speakers.

Once I get them on...I can comment on how mine sound!

Thanks
NoRegrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:57 PM   #12

No Regrets, On my Greyhawk there is a switch low on the wall just inside the door, near the 12 volt turn-off switch and the awning button. The switch gives you the option of the inside or outside speakers.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:57 PM   #13

Outside speakers

Our 31SS has a similar switch near the control panel and the speakers are OK, not great but acceptable.
daviddudek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:15 PM   #14

OMG! I have been wondering what that switch was for! I flip it every once in a while to see if anything happens...I guess I never did it with the radio on. When I bought it, the tech who gave me the walk through didn't know what it was for. I have been meaning to take a picture of the switch and post it on here...but never got around to it yet. Thanks for killing two birds with one stone!

Now I need to go out to the coach to see how the speakers sound.
NoRegrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:15 PM   #15

on our 2011 31FS the outside speakers sound pretty bad. But then again the entire system has poor sound quality and i really dont like the GPS system. it is not very user freindly IMHO compared to other units. i will eventually replace it on my own but in the meantime we use a Bose Ipod docking system for music inside. We plug it in to the inverter run outlet while driving and set it on the bunk above the driver. works great, much better than the Clarion in dash unit.
john
johnd1985 is offline   Reply With Quote