Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-26-2022, 08:53 PM   #1

Over reaction to low clearance?

Went to look at new Class C's today. Had our eyes set on a Redhawk 26m as we thought it would be a great boondocking unit. I was shocked when I measured the distance from the ground to the leveling unit, 6.75 inches, and 9 inches to the lowest bracket holding a tank and 9 inches to the bottom of the tank drain pipe connection.

Am I missing something. The levelers were all the way up. and the unit was on flat ground. This seems way too low for even driveway use.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 09:51 PM   #2

I can think of a couple three places I would be gun shy of taking that unit to in our next of the woods! Lawson’s landing, couple of places in Bodega Bay, Ocean Cove, and a couple a places in Fort Bragg.
1984 gmc k1500 4x4 s/w/b. s/b 350,700r4,373 diff,.restored and upgraded( retired - sold). 2022 Chevy Z-71 Trail Boss 4x4 crew cab s/w/b 6.2 gas a/t. 2018 hummingbird Baja 16mrb,Yamaha ef2400ishc inverter.
Happy wife / happy life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 07:44 AM   #3

We have Greyhawk 29 and I agree it all looks low. We have put 5,000 miles on ours and levelers have never hit anything! The steps are lower and have been bent twice!
Ttlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 10:30 AM   #4

My 2017 Greyhawk's levelers were installed too low. They did drag at times when I was going off road with my rig. Dug a few holes in the dirt with those jacks.

I downloaded the manufacturer's installation instructions which clearly gave the height spec, which mine did not meet. I forget if I had to raise them 1 or 2 holes. I have never had any problems with leveling. I can even raise the tires off the ground. Can't imagine how high I could have gone with the jacks too low.

In any event, get the install instructions and use the manufacturer's spec. They would be the best judge of the height. I attached the manual for my levelers just in case you have the same model.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Levelling Jacks.pdf (2.16 MB, 30 views)

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 05:45 PM   #5

Thank you. Are your tank drain valves 9" off the ground. I will contact Jayco for the spec's. This looks like a disaster waiting to happen.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 07:42 PM   #6
Site Team

I recall seeing several threads on this subject. I think the solution was to raise them as JimD noted.

Here is one: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...cks-23502.html
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 08:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingjw View Post
Thank you. Are your tank drain valves 9" off the ground. I will contact Jayco for the spec's. This looks like a disaster waiting to happen.
Don't know how high they are but I did raise them because they scraped going into my driveway. I cut the pipes and installed rubber couplers to allow a little flex in the lines. Not sure if that actually helped or not. I shoved the valves a couple of inches higher so they were close to the side of the motor home and secured it at that point. It has been awhile but I think I just screwed in the hanger up higher to keep them raised. No drain problems.

One other item I addressed at that time was to tension the leaf spring helper spring. It too was installed incorrectly with no real tension being applied. I think there was a spec as to separation distance from the other leaf springs but I am not sure what the actual spec is. Some people tightened it so there was 2" separation but I was chicken and only set mine to 2-1/2". That stiffened up the rear a tad but I don't think I got any noticeable additional ground clearance.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 09:30 PM   #8

As JimD said - I too was able to raise mine up a bit. Not a lot. Maybe an inch or so. But what I did was attach a 'scrape block' to the bottom of the waste gates.

When it does hit and scrape, I'm scraping on the wooden block and not the gate.
Old 11-29-2022, 06:11 PM   #9

I bought the Redhawk 26M last week. I'm a new RV'er, but still thought the drain pipes were too low... sure enough, it scraped on the drive way. I adjusted the support strap and got up to 9in. I need to get it higher. is it ok cut the pipes to make them shorter (and further under the rig)? I hope to raise it a couple more inches. I saw someone mention using flexible couplers. Where did you get them? It looks like my pipes are 3in ABS. Hard to find ABS anywhere.
Whitt757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 01:55 PM   #10

As long as there is a downward angle from the tank to the trap door you should be fine. You don't want any part of the trap path going back up. A larger angle is a little better for black tank so it all slides out easy.

Should just be a rubber coupler like the below from HomeDepot's site

https://www.homedepot.com/p/The-Plum...2843/305473572
Attached Thumbnails
rubber.jpg  
Old 11-30-2022, 08:44 PM   #11

Awesome, thanks!
Whitt757 is offline   Reply With Quote