Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-19-2017, 12:18 PM   #1

Overhead lights-Inspect for this washer

On my 2017 Jayco 31FS, I've been doing a little caulking and inspecting. On the over cab lights, there is suppose to be a small washer under the hold down screw on the light. Of the 5 lights, only one had the washer. My local RV store didn't have it, maybe I could get it through Bargeman, but the lights do not have the Bargeman name on it. I've had damage in the past from leaks through these lights.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0122.jpg  
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 01:51 PM   #2

On all of my exterior screws I either replaced or added a SST washer that has a rubber washer attached to it. I never liked metal to metal contact for keeping water out.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 08-19-2017, 04:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
On all of my exterior screws I either replaced or added a SST washer that has a rubber washer attached to it. I never liked metal to metal contact for keeping water out.
What is an SST washer?
Love To Travel 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 04:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by t18skyguy View Post
On my 2017 Jayco 31FS, I've been doing a little caulking and inspecting. On the over cab lights, there is suppose to be a small washer under the hold down screw on the light. Of the 5 lights, only one had the washer. My local RV store didn't have it, maybe I could get it through Bargeman, but the lights do not have the Bargeman name on it. I've had damage in the past from leaks through these lights.
I had a tail light that leaked like crazy. It turns out the water was running inside the snap-on lens then following the wires through the hole into the camper. It had nothing to do with the screws or the way the base was mounted to the camper. I removed the lenses, changed the lamps to LED, then caulked the lens before snapping it back in. No more problems.
Old 08-19-2017, 08:54 PM   #5

On my last rig, a 96, I found holes developing right where the bulb is closest to the lens. The heat from the bulb was breaking down the plastic. When I look at the quality of these new lights, it has me thinking to just spend some money and put up some real ones with real glass like the truckers use.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 09:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love To Travel 2 View Post
What is an SST washer?
It's a stainless washer that's used in places of vibration and water prone areas such as what we encounter with our travel trailers. You can buy them individual or a box of 100.
Old 08-25-2017, 04:16 AM   #7

I have a 2017 Redhawk and I had a lot of problems with the cab overhead tear drop lights. I think the ones used by Jayco are absolutlely worthless at least the lens. Initially I replaced one light and after the summer heat along with probably stress on highway I inspected the roof just recently and noticed 4 out of the 5 had lens cracks around the screw that hold the lens cover over the light. Such a simple issue and Jayco chose to use some cheap lamp to place on the roof. Has anyone else had this problem or has everyone inspected the lamps to see whether or not there are cracks in the lens.
xmtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 06:12 AM   #8

well one of my marker lights over the cab stopped working,guess its time to up and have a look see.....
submariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 08:39 AM   #9

Hopefully they are ok but on mine they were all cracked (lens) perhaps from the heat and pressure on the screw used to hold them in place. Plus the gasket which is a joke is just foam rubber which simply curled up in each light. They are the cheapest piece of foreign made junk on the Redhawk I believe. I solved the problem by replacing each light with new ones (replace only the lens and save the lamp for another time when that fails) that I purchased locally from Harbor Freight tools. These tear drop lamps cost $12 for all five. They are the same flimsy quality as those provide by Jayco but at a much lower cost. I took lamp lens and reinforced the inside screw area with J&W epoxy (home depot) so that when I insert the screw and tighten the lens will not crack. The foam gasket I did not use instead I applied a thin bead of silicon caulk in its place because the foam gasket is useless. They simply cannot withstand heat. I cannot believe Jayco would use such crap. I guess if you never go on the roof you may not notice until there is a leak inside. If the base of lamp is sealed well the roof will not leak even though the tear drop lens may be cracked. After some 40 years on the road having had a popup, one trailer and two fifth wheels the motherhome is no better quality at a much higher price. The only exception you can drive it.
xmtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote