Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-24-2021, 05:06 AM   #1

Paint flaking off

Hi folks. I took delivery of my 2021 Melbourne 24L last August. While checking things over on the roof yesterday I noticed paint flaking off at the front cap seam where the Dicor lap seam has been applied by the factory. The same thing is occurring on the Dicor around the antenna residing on top of the front cap. It appears the body paint does not adhere to Dicor. The paint on the front cap surface is ok. The Dicor seal seems to be intact so I am hoping this is just an esthetic issue. Has anyone else experienced this? Should I apply a permabond tape over the Dicor where the paint is peeling? Or just leave it alone and continue to monitor the situation. Your thoughts and suggestions will be appreciated.
rockymountainRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 05:54 AM   #2

Mine is doing the same. It does not appear to effect the integrity of the seal. I may order some black eterna bond tape at some point if all the paint comes off.
Old 04-24-2021, 05:59 AM   #3

I'd use the ETERANBOND and seal it up and then you never have to worry about it.

They make a WEBSEAL version that is paintable if you are concerned about looks after the tape is applied. I used that on our 08 SENECA since the tape was visible as it rolled over the sides.
Old 04-24-2021, 06:21 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckleUp View Post
Mine is doing the same. It does not appear to effect the integrity of the seal. I may order some black eterna bond tape at some point if all the paint comes off.
Thanks Buckleup. I was wondering if a black Eternabond tape was available. Beats having to paint it. I will take a look around for it. Thanks.
Old 04-24-2021, 06:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
I'd use the ETERANBOND and seal it up and then you never have to worry about it.

They make a WEBSEAL version that is paintable if you are concerned about looks after the tape is applied. I used that on our 08 SENECA since the tape was visible as it rolled over the sides.
Many thanks Grumpy. I would feel better about applying the Eternabond tape. I always appreciate your replies as I read through the threads.
Old 04-24-2021, 06:44 AM   #6

Since this is a new unit still under warrenty I would let the dealer know and see what they or Jayco would do, This way it is on record in case something gets worse.
PAL70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 07:00 AM   #7

I thought about that, would be wise to at least report the issue. However, 3 weeks in to my ownership of the rig, the slide out malfunctioned. I took it to the dealer and they said it would be two months to get to the repair. Long story short, after contacting Jayco VP and CW VP of customer relations and a lot of ranting, I got the rig in and repaired in 4 weeks. Not a pretty situation to get it done. Hence, I doubt I will ever take my rig into CW for work. The Jayco warranty sounds good, but if a rig can’t be repaired in a timely manner, it is worthless. And yes, I understand they are backlogged with new owners and repairs. Doesn’t make it potential repairs any more pleasant. However, I will heed your advice PAL70 and at least report the issue. Thanks.
Old 04-24-2021, 07:34 AM   #8

I understand the delay from the dealer and Jayco but I look at the future should something happens. I also have heard that CW is not a good place to get things done but I also know there are many other dealers that are difficult as well.
I have a 2020 Melbourne 24L.
PAL70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 04:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainRVer View Post
Hi folks. I took delivery of my 2021 Melbourne 24L last August. While checking things over on the roof yesterday I noticed paint flaking off at the front cap seam where the Dicor lap seam has been applied by the factory. The same thing is occurring on the Dicor around the antenna residing on top of the front cap. It appears the body paint does not adhere to Dicor. The paint on the front cap surface is ok. The Dicor seal seems to be intact so I am hoping this is just an esthetic issue. Has anyone else experienced this? Should I apply a permabond tape over the Dicor where the paint is peeling? Or just leave it alone and continue to monitor the situation. Your thoughts and suggestions will be appreciated.
Took photo of the paint flaking on the front cap seam, for those interested.
Attached Thumbnails
34E39A90-E525-441D-AD82-BD0BEE14CF42_1_201_a.jpg  
Old 07-30-2023, 05:26 PM   #10

Glad you were able to get it fixed. I’m in Ca and Camping World damaged my rig and reimbursed me for the damage they caused twice and refused to work on my unit for future warranty do to my bad luck with them!
USMC0311 is offline   Reply With Quote