Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-03-2020, 06:09 PM   #1

Painting cabinets.

We have a 2018 Greyhawk 26y. I am not a fan of dark cabinets and everything in the Greyhawk is dark stained wood. Has anyone painted the cabinets in their RV?
Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 06:38 PM   #2

I watched an episode of Going RV last night where someone bought a travel trailer and painted the cabinets after taking delivery Because they didn't like the stain color.

You might want to determine if the existing stain is water or oil based before buying paint that might be incompatible.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 08:12 PM   #3

I would take the least used cabinet door off and test on the inside whether the paint will work and the color is right before I started. Odds are you will have to at least lightly sand the cabinets to get good adhesion.

Consider going to a good paint store for advice, take a cabinet door with you to have an qualified employee use to make suggestions.

Lot of work. I would take off all doors, most hardware, paint and then re-install.

Look for some youtubes on kitchen painting type remodeling.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 09:52 PM   #4
PJC

We are doing exactly this right now to our 2016 Jayflight (I assume the same dark wood). I’m 2 coats of CHB Primer in and it’s sticking wonderfully to both the wood and the “wood.” Next we will apply the Schwerin Williams Pro Classic paint.

Got the paint and primer recommendations from a professional painter who had experience.

Also, make sure you prep everything. Sand it, even the plastic wood stuff and then wipe it all down with a solution of 1/2 water and 1/2 alcohol (or you can buy a spray from hardware stores).

Good luck!
PJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 08:30 PM   #5

As PJC outlined - the amount of time you spend on prep and quality paint will determine whether it looks like they were painted at the factory or... well... painted with a rattle can.

I've not sprayed the RV cabinets but I've painted others.
To me, it won't look factory enough without an HVLP sprayer and a final coat of precat lacquer.

If you really want them done, and done well, consider pulling the doors off and taking those to a local cabinet shop to have them finish them.
Old 10-08-2020, 07:47 AM   #6

I want to thank everyone for his input. I have a neighbor who repairs and restores the interior of boats and RVs. I have spoken with him and shared your input. I hope to have pictures of the repainted cabinets to share.
Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabinet doors, cabinets, painting