Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-21-2019, 10:27 PM   #1
75H

Panoramic window power shade

Electric shade for panoramic window stopped working properly today, will only move up or down an inch at a time with each press of the rocker switch. Prior to that, made a few beeping sounds while lowering.

So it has power, which leaves a bad motor, jam, or loss of some kind of internal programming.

Before taking things apart, does anyone know the make, part number, etc. for this roller shade? Any ideas?

Last resort would be taking this in for a warranty repair.

2018 Greyhawk 29MVP
75H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 09:00 AM   #2

I am like you in thinking it must be a bad motor on the shade. But after reading a post the other day (not shade related), it had me thinking that the switch could be the problem. Not just the switch on the shade, but any low voltage switch either in the cab or the coach. So from now on, I will be checking the switch itself to make sure it is working properly before digging into the motor. Just a thought.
chfraser01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 07:34 PM   #3
75H

Progress

Thanks, chfraser01! After posting, I looked through the collection of loose paper manuals provided with the 29MVP and learned the panoramic shade is an MCD American Solo.

The manual suggests a loss of set limits occurred.

For various reasons, I disconnect chasis & coach batteries when storing the coach, however the manual says set limits will be retained unless power is gradually drained & falls below 11 volts (?).

Tomorrow is troubleshooting day, once I figure things out I'll post the resolution for my particular issue.
Old 01-24-2019, 05:01 PM   #4
75H

Fixed

So the problem was a loss of power shade 'limit programming'. It took about as long to learn how this works as it did to fix, but a lot less time than taking the whole rig in for repairs!!!

Notes in case you stumbled across this post looking for answers and want to risk voiding warranty for DIY repair. Necessary equipment: 1. Paper leaflet, and/or online manuals for the power shade. 2. If you choose to remove the entire window trim piece, a light duty power driver as there are 14 screws. 3. Unless your arms have a 10' reach, you'll need a patient assistant or a 5+ foot length of thin wire (with 2 separate strands).

What happened: The beeping noise mentioned in my original post suggested that the programming button, which I found still connected to learning wires, got caught up in and was depressed while using the power shade. This caused the shade to go into learning mode and quit functioning properly. Learning mode determines how far the shade goes down & up before automatically stopping.

(If you don't want to remove the entire trim piece, I found my programming button and wires at the upper driver's side under the trim piece)

From there, it was just a matter of trial & error reprogramming down & up limits by holding the programming button and rocker switch simultaneously (this is where a 10' arm span, a patient assistant, or 5+ feet of double strand wire comes in). More good news, the roller was not wired to the vehicle's ignition, just had to turn on the coach's 12v power. Easy fix on the first run, two hours, could do it again in about 30 minutes.

I'm glad I removed the entire trim piece as on the passenger top area beneath the trim there was a conglomeration of coiled antenna wires, etc. in contact with the other side of the shade roller. I was able to tie rap them away from the roller mechanism before replacing the trim piece.

The programming wires & button (driver's side again) are just 'short enough' not to extend beyond the trim piece. If this happens again, I'll be mounting a connector to the trim piece for easier access.

2018 Greyhawk 29MVP