Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-20-2019, 10:07 PM   #1

Parkinson's and RVing

Alright, I am curious if there is anyone out there RVing with Parkinson's. Personally, I am 58 and I have been living/dealing with Parkinson's for over 7 years. I have a 2019 Seneca, and for the most part, I am the primary driver. My wife watches me and we know when it is time to stop and take a break, and when to stop for the day. I try not to drive more that 200 miles a day and if I have to, we will spend more time at our current location until I am ready to drive.

I know I cannot be the only one. I would love to hear from you and how you deal with Parkinson's and live the RV lifestyle. For those who have little or no knowledge of Parkinson's, please understand, for the most part, we do live a normal life.

Please no sympathy, I have accepted what I have been dealt with and I am at peace with it. I am just curious to hear form anyone who dares to come on out.

"Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God." Matthew 5:9
LaMigra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 12:51 PM   #2

My father has had it for a decade and is still RVing. He is 74 and has had Parkinson's for a decade and takes his pills daily. Only trouble is that his stamina is reduced and needs to take more frequent breaks.

As long as your wife and you are having fun, keep going!!!!!
Progressive EMS Hardwired
Beautiful Wife and Beautiful 11 YO Daughter
Standard Goldendoodle and Miniture Poodledoodle
Kahoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 02:37 PM   #3

Thank you Sir, that is what I like to hear.

"Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God." Matthew 5:9
LaMigra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 03:14 PM   #4

My parent's have a good friend who just past away, who lived with Parkinson's for many, many years. I know him for about 20 years, and he had Parkinson's. Once they retired they traveled from MN to TX every winter. They had a large 5vr, he did the majority of the driving. Both of them were over the road truckers. Like you they took it slow and easy, stopped when it was time. In later year's they tended to convoy with others.

In the summer months my parents camped with them a lot. The only concern I heard from my parents as the disease progressed, was his slower reaction time. My parent's thought he should stop driving about a 1.5 years before he did. I think what really stopped their RVing was the stairs.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote