Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-30-2019, 07:35 PM   #1

Passenger floor heat - solution

Our 2017 Greyhawk 29W, like a lot of E450 chassis units, develops excessive heat on the passenger side floor. I read lots forum posted suggesting adding insulation under the floor mats and dog house. I looked into this option and did not want to disassemble the unit and add additional material. This seemed to be a lot of work for an old guy.
Since I live in the Charlotte area - home of NASCAR - I called around and asked how they keep things cool while speeding in circles on Sunday.

I was pointed to a company that specializes in heat control and a helpful lady named Penny Johnston.

Koolmat Insulation
PH-704-662-9099
www.koolmat.com

The she suggested a product that reflects heat made from ceramic fiber and stainless steel. (Heatmaster exhaust shield). It is installed on the exhaust pipe allowing the lower half toward the road to remain open to keep the pipe at a manageable heat. It is held on by stainless steel wire ties making it easy to install. You will need to measure the length and width. I select 6” wide and 34” long with a notch for the O2 sensor. However, suggest you take your own measurement.

Results:
Took the RV on a 1200 mile hike across Florida this month in the high 90’s driving at least 5 hours at a pop. My DW was very happy since she no longer experienced hot foot and an added bonus is the cab noise was less.

If you are looking for a solution for the hot foot, I would recommend giving Penny a call.
Alvind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 09:19 AM   #2

Cool. How much did that run you?
Old 07-31-2019, 09:43 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvind View Post
Our 2017 Greyhawk 29W, like a lot of E450 chassis units, develops excessive heat on the passenger side floor. I read lots forum posted suggesting adding insulation under the floor mats and dog house. I looked into this option and did not want to disassemble the unit and add additional material. This seemed to be a lot of work for an old guy.
Since I live in the Charlotte area - home of NASCAR - I called around and asked how they keep things cool while speeding in circles on Sunday.

I was pointed to a company that specializes in heat control and a helpful lady named Penny Johnston.

Koolmat Insulation
PH-704-662-9099
www.koolmat.com

The she suggested a product that reflects heat made from ceramic fiber and stainless steel. (Heatmaster exhaust shield). It is installed on the exhaust pipe allowing the lower half toward the road to remain open to keep the pipe at a manageable heat. It is held on by stainless steel wire ties making it easy to install. You will need to measure the length and width. I select 6” wide and 34” long with a notch for the O2 sensor. However, suggest you take your own measurement.

Results:
Took the RV on a 1200 mile hike across Florida this month in the high 90’s driving at least 5 hours at a pop. My DW was very happy since she no longer experienced hot foot and an added bonus is the cab noise was less.

If you are looking for a solution for the hot foot, I would recommend giving Penny a call.
Alvind, that is great information and your testing here in Florida is a great proving ground. We just completed a 7,000 mile journey in our Greyhawk and it does get warm under foot.
Please keep your findings coming as to the performance of this material. Thanks again, Jimmyd
Jimmyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 11:29 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
Cool. How much did that run you?

The material was not cheap. It cost me $195 due to the custom fitting around the O2 sensor.
Mine was 6” x 34”
Alvind is offline   Reply With Quote