Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-23-2021, 07:56 PM   #1

Passenger seat

We have a 2018 28mv with 8500 miles on it. I was wondering if anybody else has had a problem with the leather seat coming apart?
German crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 08:18 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by German crew View Post
We have a 2018 28mv with 8500 miles on it. I was wondering if anybody else has had a problem with the leather seat coming apart?
I also have a 2018 29 MV. The seats have started to deteriorate in the last 6 months. At first it was a few cracks and now they are beginning to peel. There are several posts on this forum regarding the problem. It's not just the the Greyhawks but all of the Jayco lines with the "pleather" seat covering. Maintaining the seats with covers and leather treatments does no good. The material Jayco uses is garbage. I have boats and the have vinyl coverings exposed to the elements for years and they don't deteriorate like this stuff. There are things i like about my Greyhawk, but on balance Jayco (now Thor) builds crap. I will never purchase another Thor product. Sorry for the rant. Your options are covers, or replace the existing covering with better material. An expensive proposition. Good luck.
rodpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 08:29 PM   #3

Thank you we have been jayco owners for along time, I wish they would have stayed independent.
German crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 11:12 AM   #4

This problem was across most of the RV manufacturers. Some were better at covering this issue than others.
houstonstroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 08:26 PM   #5

Expect all the upholstery to do the same, including dinette and couch. It's even happening in high end rigs like Newmar also. Those guys paid big bucks and apparently today's ultraleather is not the same as years back. I replaced everything in my Greyhawk, driver, passenger seat, couch and dinette. I replaced the foam and springs too which we're also sub-standard. Mine was a 2017.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 10:48 AM   #6

Had my driver and passenger side front seats begin to peel and crack on my 2018 Greyhawk 31DS. Lucky for me it got really bad 7 days prior to the end of the 2 year warranty. I called Jayco and started a warranty claim, they sent me to my local dealer to inspect and verify the issue, then I waited several months for new seat covers to be shipped to my dealer. Finally, 7 months later I just had the dealer complete the warranty repair which entailed removing both seats from the rv and reinstalling the new seat covers. It came out great, and hopefully will hold up longer than a couple years, but I doubt it....
2015 EZ-GO TXT Golf Cart
South Jersey
K9Nardu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 06:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by German crew View Post
Thank you we have been jayco owners for along time, I wish they would have stayed independent.
Jayco's decision to reduce the quality of their components happened long before Thor bought them.

Jayco is in the same boat as every other manufacturer: Price - Cost = Profit. Using cheaper materials means more profits.
Old 03-29-2021, 06:14 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonstroker View Post
This problem was across most of the RV manufacturers. Some were better at covering this issue than others.
X-2 They all buy from the same suppliers. Even the FLEXSTEEL seats had problems over the years.
Old 03-29-2021, 09:50 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
X-2 They all buy from the same suppliers. Even the FLEXSTEEL seats had problems over the years.
However with FlexSteel replacement seats you can choose the fabric. I went with "UltraLeather" which is highly rated for comfort and wear. The UltraLeather, which is on my new seats, " exceeds 400,000 double rubs on the wyzenbeek abrasion test method showing no wear and tear— that’s 13X heavy-duty industry standards" and is extremely comfortable.

http://stidd.com/wp-content/uploads/...inglePages.pdf

~CA
Old 03-29-2021, 10:01 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
However with FlexSteel replacement seats you can choose the fabric. I went with "UltraLeather" which is highly rated for comfort and wear. The UltraLeather, which is on my new seats, " exceeds 400,000 double rubs on the wyzenbeek abrasion test method showing no wear and tear— that’s 13X heavy-duty industry standards" and is extremely comfortable.

http://stidd.com/wp-content/uploads/...inglePages.pdf

~CA
COULD..... FLEXSTEEL got out of RV SEATING last year.

Flexsteel Industries Inc. is discontinuing its long-term role as a furniture supplier to the recreational vehicle industry, the Dubuque, Iowa-based company announced today (April 29) in its third-quarter financial report.

But even many of the seats and furniture in the 1st Gen SENECAS had issues and they were all FLEXSTEEL And it's no different than cars, if you buy a car with full leather interiors there are no issues, but there are many with peeling fake leather after multiple years.
Old 03-29-2021, 10:33 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
COULD..... FLEXSTEEL got out of RV SEATING last year.

Flexsteel Industries Inc. is discontinuing its long-term role as a furniture supplier to the recreational vehicle industry, the Dubuque, Iowa-based company announced today (April 29) in its third-quarter financial report.

But even many of the seats and furniture in the 1st Gen SENECAS had issues and they were all FLEXSTEEL And it's no different than cars, if you buy a car with full leather interiors there are no issues, but there are many with peeling fake leather after multiple years.
Interesting that they (flexsteel) went out of business. I actually purchased mine through Marine and RV Furniture | Custom Yacht, Boat, RV, Motorhome furnishings by Flexsteel, Villa, Mariner and Lafer Recliners (glastop dot com) and there was a lady there that knew all about the pleather problems and how the ultraleather was the best replacement material on the market and in fact had sold a lot of RV furniture from all different makers covered in ultraleather. The UltraLeather is not a FlexSteel product, just one of the many fabric choices that they could use. If I was in the market again, I would just call these people and ask who makes the best RV seats now the flexsteel is out of business. Also to add, the lady told me that the problem was not specific to Jayco and that almost all the RV's made for the last many years used (likely still uses) the problematic pleather material. ~CA