Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-13-2020, 08:58 AM   #1

Performance tuning devices - do they work?

After almost 3 years of ownership of a Greyhawk running on the Ford E450, I am wondering if there is any way to 'fix' the transmission or to tune the engine for more power. This is our 3rd trip up to Colorado in 3 years and it is still distressing how the transmission will downshift on a 1% grade and downshift again on a 2-3% grade.

I turn off cruise control on the slightest of inclines as it tries to downshift and just let it slow down as we go over what ever slight hill we encounter. It has even downshifted on a 0% grade. Maybe the head wind was a problem.

We have been thinking we just need to 'upgrade' to a diesel version of an RV for more power. It isn't like we are trying to win any races; I rarely exceed posted speeds and usually try to keep cruise control going. We get what I suppose is average mileage, around 8-10 mpg.

I've seen ads for device you can plug into the computer to 'fix' the transmission issues and to increase mileage and horse power.

My question is, do they work? They are *not* inexpensive and some even say for the $500 you spend for the unit you still have to buy 'programs' to download for your specific vehicle.

Any thoughts or experiences with these or should I just start looking at a Seneca?!

Thanks
Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
--
Click_here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 09:30 AM   #2
CAG

My research did not show enough benefits to a tune over driving in Tow/Haul but I’m interested what turns up from this question.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 09:32 AM   #3

For your ford Trans questions, I reccomend ford truck enthusiasts forum. The site is frequented by user name mark kovalski, ford transmission designer/engineer.
Aftre the diesel brothers debacle, there is not as many tuners currently available as there used to be. Six figure fines have narrowed the field.
Old and soft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 09:41 AM   #4
CAG

What “debacle”? Edge and the major companies are still selling tuners and the Magnuson-Moss Act is still around.

Old 09-13-2020, 09:47 AM   #5
Site Team

Old and Soft is referring to the heavy EPA fines that several companies have faced due to selling tuners and parts that allow the deletion of diesel emissions parts (DPF, SCR, etc.). As far as I know, tuners for gas engines and pre-emission diesels are still being sold by the companies still in business.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 10:02 AM   #6
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
Old and Soft is referring to the heavy EPA fines that several companies have faced due to selling tuners and parts that allow the deletion of diesel emissions parts (DPF, SCR, etc.). As far as I know, tuners for gas engines and pre-emission diesels are still being sold by the companies still in business.

The major tuner companies, including Edge Performance still sell tuners for late model diesel's and gassers. While I never used a performance tune I did use a program that is still being used for tuning just about any Duramax to correct for oversized tires and to correct the fuel mileage reading when I went to a larger tank. Edge and the other reputable companies are still here because they did not try to violate EPA. Once you delete emission parts you cannot legally resell that vehicle, and a reputable dealer will not take in it trade or resell it.

The tuner in this particular thread, or at least what I think he is asking about is a tuner specifically for the E450 engines and does nothing to violate EPA laws.

Old 09-13-2020, 11:36 AM   #7

OP question:
Yes they do work.
2001 Ford Excursion, 7.3 diesel, Ford auto trans.
Tuner gives me on the fly of: stock, 60 hp tow, 80hp (a little fun), high idle for a/c when just sitting.
I gained nice performance (horsepower) with no loss of fuel milage. I also run gauges .
Have had for 19 years without any problems, made the beast a mega beast.
Just my experience.
PaulB12
PaulB12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 12:24 PM   #8

I'm interested in hearing what other gas owners have to say about tuners? My thinking is they are not as effective as on a diesel. I have a close friend who owns a transmission shop and he says on gas engines making physical adjustments to the transmission itself is the way to go. Of course this involves much more than connecting a tuner and calling it good. I am waiting on his availability to do some mods to the Tranny in my F250....

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 08:33 AM   #9

I believe this is the 5-Star tune is the most common tuner for the Ford V-10 in motorhomes:

https://5startuning.com/product/7015fs/

If you look down the page, you'll see Andre from TFL truck tested it on a Class A motorhome and saw some improvement.

This is something I'm seriously considering. IMO, the Ford V-10 has plenty of potential, but it's just not set up quite right in my motorhome. IMO, if I can get a little improvement from this tune, it'll be worth it.

ETA: I agree that a tune in a gas motor might not offer as much of an "upgrade" as a tune for a diesel, but a little improvement out of a naturally aspirated gas motor would be welcome IMO.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 09:32 AM   #10
CAG

I have owned Duramax diesels since 2003. Over those years I looked a various different mods to get more performance out of the engine. I was not looking to burn the tread off of the rear tires but more to improve HP and torque, mainly for towing. I added some external equipment to help and was looking at EFI (tuning). It is probably the premier tuning for that engine. While talking with one of the designers of this software I asked about using a tune and wear and tear on an engine. His comment was "every tune adds some premature wear to an engine" It takes it out of it's happy place and puts it near the edge of destruction. Not will it but when will it happen. You might get 300K miles out of it but then again maybe not. I decided to use EFI for various non engine issues, like correct the DIC for the larger fuel tank and correct the speedo for larger tires and forget about trying to get more HP out of it.

So, bottom line, tunes do help and I looked at 5-Star but was kind of along the same frame of mind as the Duramax. The engineers designed the engine to perform but not break. Sure you can get more out of it, but at what cost? Just my thoughts on tunes.

Old 09-14-2020, 10:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Click_here View Post
I've seen ads for device you can plug into the computer to 'fix' the transmission issues and to increase mileage and horse power.

My question is, do they work? They are *not* inexpensive and some even say for the $500 you spend for the unit you still have to buy 'programs' to download for your specific vehicle.

Any thoughts or experiences with these or should I just start looking at a Seneca?!

Thanks

I'd look at the 5 Star tuning videos all over Youtube.
Yes, re-chipping / re-programming will work.

But after looking at the videos, I'm not seeing "pure magic", I'm seeing small improvements. I'm going to pass on them.
Old 09-15-2020, 07:38 PM   #12

I did the 5 Star Tune on my Dad’s Entegra Coach Emblem and the difference was amazing! A lot more power, transmission didn’t have to downshift as much and it was so much quieter. Totally worth the $500!
dopplemeyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 10:50 PM   #13

SCT Tuner on 2006 F150 with 5.4

I have the SCT tuner on my 2006 F150 with the 5.4L engine.
It really makes a difference in power and shifting.

I use the standard tune for towing and it is way better than stock.
I do have to run 87 octane.

Not much change in mileage.

I like the fact I can get my speedometer to read the correct speed.
Markomyt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 08:00 PM   #14

I've mod'd my 02 7.3 and the TS6 chip (for F series) does have an effect on the auto trans shift points/ timing (for the better) The important thing to ensure is that we don't bolt on alot of external mods and overstress our "stock" engine innards.
My rig has close to 250K miles so beyond the initial "lets see what this sucker'll do now!" escapades, I plan on driving by the gages (pyro, trans temp and boost) when I pick up our Designer next week
HueyCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 08:21 PM   #15

I bought the Five Star for my Greyhawk and really wasn't impressed. The only noticeable difference was a considerably more solid shift. I don't feel that the shift points or power improved. Sold the tuner after using it for a year as I was concerned the solid shifts could damage the transmission.
Old 10-20-2020, 06:07 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
I have owned Duramax diesels since 2003. Over those years I looked a various different mods to get more performance out of the engine. I was not looking to burn the tread off of the rear tires but more to improve HP and torque, mainly for towing. I added some external equipment to help and was looking at EFI (tuning). It is probably the premier tuning for that engine. While talking with one of the designers of this software I asked about using a tune and wear and tear on an engine. His comment was "every tune adds some premature wear to an engine" It takes it out of it's happy place and puts it near the edge of destruction. Not will it but when will it happen. You might get 300K miles out of it but then again maybe not. I decided to use EFI for various non engine issues, like correct the DIC for the larger fuel tank and correct the speedo for larger tires and forget about trying to get more HP out of it.

So, bottom line, tunes do help and I looked at 5-Star but was kind of along the same frame of mind as the Duramax. The engineers designed the engine to perform but not break. Sure you can get more out of it, but at what cost? Just my thoughts on tunes.
Exactly my thoughts. My 2006 GMC Sierra LBZ Duramax has 212,000 on the ODO and it tows my fifth wheel just fine and it is bone stock. It also gets 12.0 mpg doing it (plus or minus 0.5 mpg depending on the drive). My last measurement was 12.7 mpg which was 99% interstate with the cruise set on 62 mph.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 05:21 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppers4 View Post
I bought the Five Star for my Greyhawk and really wasn't impressed. The only noticeable difference was a considerably more solid shift. I don't feel that the shift points or power improved. Sold the tuner after using it for a year as I was concerned the solid shifts could damage the transmission.
Quite the opposite, solid shfts are better, the tyranny doesn't slip through the shifts.

PaulB12
PaulB12 is offline   Reply With Quote