Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-04-2019, 01:09 PM   #1

Pioneer Nav Radio Install - Where is speed Sense wire?

Hello Everyone,

I removed the POS Soundstream unit from my 2019 Greyhawk...I am installing a Pioneer AVIC W8500NEX Nav - stereo. My biggest issue with stock unit is not having Apple car play, and the crappy navigation. I took out the old unit and fortunately for me all the wires are labled. My question is the Pioneer uses a speed sensor wire to help make navigation more accurate. I know from other forums the unit will work without connecting this wire...but I would like to connect it if possible. Has anybody done this on the newer Ford Chasis. I found some detailed info on 2007 and 2008 but I would like something more recent. Thank you in advance for any help.

James
Jab55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 03:55 PM   #2
CAG

It has been awhile since I installed a new head unit but I did install several into my trucks over the years. There are some online electronics shops that sell patch cords that will go between the truck's wiring and the head unit and allow all functions to operate. One locating that may have that, or be able to direct you is Crutchfield's.

There may also be some info in the box for the Pioneer that can help finding the correct adapter.
CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 05:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
It has been awhile since I installed a new head unit but I did install several into my trucks over the years. There are some online electronics shops that sell patch cords that will go between the truck's wiring and the head unit and allow all functions to operate. One locating that may have that, or be able to direct you is Crutchfield's.

There may also be some info in the box for the Pioneer that can help finding the correct adapter.
Apparently if the vehicle didn't have a factory installed NAV system then they did not bring the speed sense wire to the bundle of radio wires. I have the wiring harness adapter....however the wire that I am looking for is not part of that. I talked to online vendor I purchased radio from...he was helpful and told me it was a purple wire with orange stripe under drivers kick panel....I found 1 wire like that but it turned out to not be the correct wire.
Old 11-27-2019, 12:32 PM   #4

Smile I found the wire I was looking for

If anybody needs to find the Speed sense wire on a newer model E-450 chassis I know where it is. I ended up purchasing the factory wiring manual for the chassis on Ebay for 20 bucks. It took me a while to read through it....it's not listed as a component.....so basically I reviewed all wiring in the manual and found several references to wheel speed sensors and one reference to a VSS out wire. I did some research and found that newer vehicles don't have a typical vehicle speed sensor...now the computer calculates it from information from the TCM (transmission control module) and the ABS (antilock brake system). There is however a VSS OUT wire on the PCM (powertrain control module) The wire color is Violet / Orange....the trouble is that there are 4 violet and orange wires in that PCM plug....So the manual tells me it is pin 78. I had to poke each violet and orange wire and test continuity with pin 78. I found the correct wire which was also branched off with a bunch of open wires at the top back of the engine compartment and tested continuity there also. I connected the stereo VSS wire to that lead and amazingly it works....The diagnostic settings in the radio show my vehicle speed data. If anybody needs help finding this wire I can provide a picture.
Old 11-27-2019, 02:08 PM   #5

Good info. I'm trying to do the same thing with my Seneca.
phuggit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 07:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jab55 View Post
... I ended up purchasing the factory wiring manual for the chassis on Ebay for 20 bucks... ...If anybody needs help finding this wire I can provide a picture.
I would be VERY happy to see a picture! What year is your E-450 chassis?

Thank you!
Scoutmaster253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 02:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutmaster253 View Post
I would be VERY happy to see a picture! What year is your E-450 chassis?

Thank you!
The Chassis is a 2019 E-450. I think the wiring for 2016 and up is the same. Not sure about older model years. The Vehicle Speed Sense wire is the Violet and orange wire in the bundle of wires that just terminate on the top back of the engine compartment with little black rubber boots or caps. To help orient you on the location the PCM module is the box just below and to the right of the wires. Hopefully that will help you.
Attached Thumbnails
Pic 2.jpg   Pic1.jpg  
Old 11-29-2019, 02:52 PM   #8

Quote:
The Chassis is a 2019 E-450. I think the wiring for 2016 and up is the same. Not sure about older model years. The Vehicle Speed Sense wire is the Violet and orange wire in the bundle of wires that just terminate on the top back of the engine compartment with little black rubber boots or caps. To help orient you on the location the PCM module is the box just below and to the right of the wires. Hopefully that will help you.
Thanks Jab55, this is excellent information. I have a 2013 chassis, so when I pull it from storage I will look to see if mine has the same wire bundle.
Safe travels!
Scoutmaster253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 10:53 AM   #9

Quote:
The colors made it hard to figure out which was violet and orange, but I found the right one and this worked perfectly on my 2016 chassis! Thank you so much!
L.I.F.E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 10:56 AM   #10

Your welcome
20 ft. Aluminum cargo trailer