Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-16-2017, 08:08 PM   #1

Please help!!!

I bought this 2004 27DS Jayco Greyhawk from a dealer in Florida for the main purpose of taking my girlfriend to Glacier National Park on her return from deployment. I've been fixing things non stop to get this thing road worthy. We left today and I noticed a very small bludge on the front driver's side seam on the nose cone for the over cab bunk. It had some rot behind it. I put some tape on it and drove another 50 miles. When I checked it again it had pulled about 2" out from the seam and about a 1 square foot section is pulling out! We barely made it out of Florida. I don't want this to ruin this trip so I need to patch it somehow. We are sleeping at a truck stop tonight waiting for Home Depot to open. I need ideas for a super adhesive tape/ roofing membrane to keep this thing together for 3 weeks. I was thinking of trying to find some peel and stick roofing membrane and heavy duty seam tape. Any other suggestions? I don't give a **** what it looks like. I just don't want to rip the side of my RV off. Thank you so much in advance for any ideas!
Brian
Brian556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 08:16 PM   #2

Hi Brian,

I would recommend Eternabond Tape for any exterior patching.

Though I'm not sure if you can find it in any store around where you are. Your best bet would be an RV Store/Dealership.

2nd to that I found the Gorilla Tape is also strong and holds up well. You probably should be able to find that at Home Depot, Lowe's, Walmart, etc.

Hope this is of some help.
Good luck.
Old 08-16-2017, 08:49 PM   #3

Thanks! I am hoping to find something fairly waterproof. Found flex seal after some googling. There's a target near by that has it. Might give it a go until I come across an RV store. Worried about hitting rain and this all coming undone.
Brian556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 09:36 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

X2 on the Eternabond. You can buy it at W.W. Granger.

You can also use link to show distribitors by state.

https://www.eternabond.com/distribut...ons_a/408.html

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 09:40 PM   #5

I would try and find a sheet of Aluminum maybe 2x2 and screw it down and tape over the seams to keep it waterproof for your trip. You should find it in the roofing section.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:57 PM   #6

Go to Amazon https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...=1LX21N3AM44FU and have them drop ship to your location.
Charles & Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 09:59 PM   #7

Products like this are thin enough to form or bend but strong enough to take the stress of the wind at 60+MPH. If you deside to go this way and tape over the seams I would also put some tape on the inside just in case some water works its way in. Again at Lowe's or Home Depot.

Contact paper comes in different degrees of grip from light to extra stick so this along with gorilla tape should give you another choice.

If you go EternaBond the 4" roll should do you just fine and I think it comes in a 25' roll.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 08-16-2017, 10:09 PM   #8

When I need to stick something or patch something, I often turn to epoxy. 5, 10 or 15 minute stuff available from any store, Walmart.

If it's bulging out, or bubbling out, I might try poking a hole in the bubble and squirting some 5 min epoxy in there before all the tape.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 08:02 AM   #9

Please help!!!

Looks aside I would double plate it. Through bolt it with an equal size plate on the inside. Tap around the area to find solid materials use a thin aluminum sheet. You can find steel or aluminum sheets at Home Depot. Silicon around the seam before putting the plate down. The wind is going to work like hydraulics. With a tape a small leak it will peal it up in a short time. If to do choose to use a tape of some kind I would sand the area with some 400 to take away any of the oxidation from the fiber glass to assure a good contact for the tape. Even with the plate I would tape the edges. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-17-2017, 08:40 AM   #10

FlexSeal tape and spray are excellent products for just about any project which requires waterproof repair. It is not inexpensive but it does the job.
usafdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 09:44 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by F419sr1 View Post
Looks aside I would double plate it. Through bolt it with an equal size plate on the inside. Tap around the area to find solid materials use a thin aluminum sheet. You can find steel or aluminum sheets at Home Depot. Silicon around the seam before putting the plate down. The wind is going to work like hydraulics. With a tape a small leak it will peal it up in a short time. If to do choose to use a tape of some kind I would sand the area with some 400 to take away any of the oxidation from the fiber glass to assure a good contact for the tape. Even with the plate I would tape the edges. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
X2 excellent advice!!!
Old 08-17-2017, 09:56 AM   #12

The problem with using Eternabond is when you go to do the final repair, if any of it is stuck to structure you want to keep it will not come off. I think the metal with some screws and caulking might be the way to go. put the screws into sound structure, and a screw hole later can be easily filled. You have rot in there so everything must be fastened to good wood. Gorilla tape would probably be fine with rain for a brief trip. Sorry your predicament. The issue you have is very common in used C's. We're here to help.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote