Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-01-2018, 05:25 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_FreeBird View Post
They did install extension stems .. but with flexible hose. Are they safe?

They can be safe if they have braces on them so they don't flop around. Some people here on the forum have experienced leaks with the braided types and have gone with the solid extensions.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 06:43 PM   #22

I would visit your local NAPA store and see if they have a commercial type gauge and fill chuck. These hahe dual heads on them and are much longer to reach into the stem on the inner dual - good luck.
Misanthrope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 06:54 PM   #23

Quote:
They did install extension stems .. but with flexible hose. Are they safe?

The flexible extensions are prone to leakage so check your tire pressures frequently. Get a tire bat and learn how to sound your tires to gauge proper pressure without gauging it. Solid metal stems bolted directly through the rim is the safest way to do it but also requires much more labor to install. I know you want to enjoy your trip so just be mindful that your tire pressures are the second most important safety aspect behind #1 (the driver’s mindset).

As far as an air compressor, invest in the Viair RV kit. It’s all you need and can deliver up to 120 psi on 12V. Keep us posted.
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 09:16 PM   #24

The compressor I went with was a Viair (sp??) for about $150. It's bulletproof.
Hook it to the battery to make it run....................
thirdktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 09:30 PM   #25

Used my Viair rv 400p-rv air comp today for the 1st time and can't believe how well it's made and how easy it made the job of properly inflating 6 large tires. Awesome product!
Studiovette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 07:02 AM   #26
Site Team

https://www.amazon.com/truck-tire-ai...%20air%20gauge

Here is one solution to get better access. Yes a compressor that puts out more than the max pressure of your tires is essential to keeping them aired up. I like the ac models but ether will work.

The accuracy of the gauges are important.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 10:22 AM   #27

We had flexible extenders, and they leaked. Plastic ones also leak. Went with metal. Also, Tire Minder is a great way to have peace of mind. We even have the monitors on our tow vehicle.
1980 Shasta 21; 1981 Coleman Tent Trailer
1978 VW Westfalia; lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 02:02 PM   #28

I had flexible extensions and were a pain kept breaking the holders, went to solid extensions never looked back what a difference
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 01:30 PM   #29

Get a Viair air compressor. You will love it. Be sure to get the one with the long, yellow extension hose. Don’t mess with Walmart compressors.
Marmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 02:39 PM   #30

It is almost imperative that you upgrade your valve stems to extended ones. The most common recommendation I see is to get solid stems, not the flexible kind. I find it even a challenge to check and add air to my front tires because they have the standard valves and they don't stick out far enough from the fancy wheel cover. Getting the wheel cover off is easy, getting the damn things back on is not!
Old 11-07-2018, 05:23 PM   #31

The reason the rear valve stem faces in as outside dually is mounted reverse of normal mounting. Here is what I use to inflate my tires without using valve stem extensions as the straight head is used on inner tire and angled head is used on outer tire with valve stem facing in. https://www.miltonindustries.com/1-4...air-chuck.html
elcheapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 08:18 PM   #32

Valve Stem Extenders

Quote:
Greetings .. I have a Jayco Redhawk 25R with duallys. I bought a TPMS and when installing them found I had to reach through the dual tires to get the outer tire's monitor on. Thank goodness being a woman my arms are slim and small hands ... any larger I would have never been able to reach them.

PROBLEM: The tires need air!! There are no long full service stations (showing my age), especially ones that service 30' motorhomes. I either need to buy my own heavy duty air compressor or I don't know what. I also need valve stem extensions?? but have no idea what to get. Even my tire pressure guage wont fit or reach. The stem for the outer tire is inside (between the 2 duallys) and is pointing towards the inner tire.

Very poor design for easy access to monitoring air pressure and filling tires with air.

Tips??? Tricks??? Advice????

Please, leaving for a trip in 10 days and don't want to travel on flat tires

It's amazing that the RV industry has not provided a remedy for their poor wheel design by now. RV'ers have been struggling with the problem for many years.

Anyway, I have been using the metal mesh covered, flexible valve stem extenders on four different RVs for over ten years now with no problems. They work well as long as you have them anchored securely with brackets. Don't use the spring clips.

Attached is a photo of my installation.
Attached Thumbnails
20180412_110512.jpg  
hikerjohn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 04:21 AM   #33

I don't leave home without this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 01:09 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredLEO View Post

That particular model Vlair won't fill a motorhome tire with a 110 PSI max rating. The $250 Vlair will.
Old 11-10-2018, 01:32 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
That particular model Vlair won't fill a motorhome tire with a 110 PSI max rating. The $250 Vlair will.
Ouch!!!
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 07:55 AM   #36

Quote:
Greetings .. I have a Jayco Redhawk 25R with duallys. I bought a TPMS and when installing them found I had to reach through the dual tires to get the outer tire's monitor on. Thank goodness being a woman my arms are slim and small hands ... any larger I would have never been able to reach them.

PROBLEM: The tires need air!! There are no long full service stations (showing my age), especially ones that service 30' motorhomes. I either need to buy my own heavy duty air compressor or I don't know what. I also need valve stem extensions?? but have no idea what to get. Even my tire pressure guage wont fit or reach. The stem for the outer tire is inside (between the 2 duallys) and is pointing towards the inner tire.

Very poor design for easy access to monitoring air pressure and filling tires with air.

Tips??? Tricks??? Advice????

Please, leaving for a trip in 10 days and don't want to travel on flat tires

You need to buy a truck tire gauge for dual wheels. They do reach and work fine.
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 09:10 AM   #37

Interesting solution, however, if you want to have tire pressure monitor sending units mounted on your valve stems, it gets more complicated.
hikerjohn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 12:23 PM   #38

Tire Valve extenders

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikerjohn7 View Post
It's amazing that the RV industry has not provided a remedy for their poor wheel design by now. RV'ers have been struggling with the problem for many years.

Anyway, I have been using the metal mesh covered, flexible valve stem extenders on four different RVs for over ten years now with no problems. They work well as long as you have them anchored securely with brackets. Don't use the spring clips.

Attached is a photo of my installation.
HickerJohn,
I am planning on doing what you did on the rear duals of my 2018.5 Seneca. Think it also is better for holding the TPMS. What product did you install? Looks like the bracket is held in place by a lugnut. Appreciate your sharing how this has worked for you and some product detail.
Gunfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 01:50 PM   #39

Like some here, I use Viair RV air compressor for my Greyhawk MV. I purchased inflation extenders as well as inflation couplers to help with tire inflation.

With these couplers, I don't have to struggle with holding the inflation device to keep from losing air. It has made air up a breeze ... I now have those couplers on all my compressors .... Home, truck car, and coach .... those couplers make airing up just that simple ...

https://www.amazon.com/AstroAI-Close...ed%2BFlow&th=1
Toad - '16 Subaru Forester (Pearl White - manual transmission)
Blue Ox (everything) for the TOAD
Boudreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 07:15 PM   #40

This my inner dual with a EZTire TMPS and an Alligator valve. Almost flush easy to fill and get a guage on. If you don't know what an Alligator Valve is Google it. They work great, mine have been on for 2 years with no issues.

Tags
air pressure, tire valves, tpms